View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Contrary to Murray's observations and which may relate to a specific area of concern, I use the Canadian North forecast out of Prince Rupert and find it often far more actuate than our NOAA Clarence Strait weather for local marine conditions. I don't totally discount NOAA I do reference it in conjunction with the Canadian forecast sometimes with skepticisms .

I would add that I use 'Windytd.com' as the controlling factor as I have found this app to have by far, been the determination of a 'Go or No Go'.

Both the Canadian and NOAA are used to confirm or support the 'Windy' data.
I might add that if the wind is forecast South East then I add 6 hours to the Canadian forecast, if from the Northern sectors, we are already in play.

Evem with the accuracy of 'Windy'. there is a level of common se and local knowledge required as it relates to a narrow specific area adjacent or near the Windy projected forecast. i.e.. if Windy projects 20 knots at ocean entrance and shows that, yet in the narrow confine of a near inlet one has to assume that there will be an effect even if the screen shows calm. That is common sense.
I would suspect that Murray, might find Windy app lacking ability to address inland wind much as I indicate that we have areas that are not accessed by the app. Again, common sense comes into play. Murray demonstrated his good judgment in spite of the disappointment. Safe is safe.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote