ASD and the Inside Passage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While yer near Roche you should check out the Wescott Bay Seafood company around the corner in Wescott Bay. We were anchored in the bay for a few days and dingied over to their dock and got some fresh clams ($7/lb) and made some fresh clam chowder. Man that was good. they also have mussels and oysters.

Marty...................

Tom, if you look on the Orca Network's Facebook page they have posts for recent sightings.

Thanks all. Looks like the next window for travel will be later in the week, so we are going over to Oak Harbor to wait the weather and have some fun.

I see that the Malibu left Desolation and is hanging out in Roche now. Beautiful boat.

I work in Oak Harbor Monday through Thursday. PM me your slip and I'll drop by for a hello. If you need anything let me know.

Bob

Hi Tom / Kay looks like Kay did an excellent job with the bread. We are back in the office and let me tell you it sucks. Counting down the time when we can join up with you again. Say hi to John and Tracy from us.
Safe travels and all the best.

Chris & Brigitte

I work in Oak Harbor Monday through Thursday. PM me your slip and I'll drop by for a hello. If you need anything let me know.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I will be on "F" row and Pairadice will be on "G" row. We should be there late this afternoon.:thumb:

Hi Tom / Kay looks like Kay did an excellent job with the bread. We are back in the office and let me tell you it sucks. Counting down the time when we can join up with you again. Say hi to John and Tracy from us.
Safe travels and all the best.

Chris & Brigitte

Kay says thank you and that you taught her a life long skill!! We miss you and we will stay in touch. Both of you need to print a picture of our travels and look at it everyday. 3 years to go and counting my friend.

I know you have a "Tom" list for your boat, so I see a road trip north!!!:thumb:

If you need anything let me know. Bob
Tom's needs can be summed up in two words....
images

Still Waiting

This has now become a waiting game with mother nature. We decided to move over to Oak Harbor to wait as the weather would not be good for several days. The ride from Roche to Oak harbor was nice, but we bucked the current the entire way. The current under Destruction Pass has awesome power. However the trip to Oak Harbor was a crab trap nightmare! Pots everywhere to include the very narrow channel from the bridge to the bay. Then once you enter the bay there is no rime or reason as to how the Indians lay their traps. Put the sun in your face with ripples on the water and it is very nerve racking. By the time we got to the marina I needed a very large adult drink! Our friend on the Pairadice actually ran over a trap that was just under the surface.

This is a very nice marina and in great shape. There is a lot of jet noise from NAS Whidbey Island, but that is the sound of freedom. We have also found out it is cheaper to pay for a week of moorage than for 3 days. Today is Thursday and the weather is bad clear out to Tuesday. We will see.

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3009.jpg
    IMG_3009.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 41
I haven't been keeping track of the weather in the strait. Have you considered waiting on weather further West?

I haven't been keeping track of the weather in the strait. Have you considered waiting on weather further West?

Well that's a long story, but I would make the journey to Neah Bay 2 days prior to departure around the horn. Victoria does come to mind.:angel:

It's been like pond water today, not so earlier in the week. Winds are 3 knots on Ediz Hook as I type this.

Unfortunately, I will be back to work in the AM :banghead:

Save Travels!

Last edited:
It's been like pond water today, not so earlier in the week. Winds are 3 knots on Ediz Hook as I type this.

Unfortunately, I will be back to work in the AM :banghead:

Save Travels!

WE may be dropping into PA when our window opens. Let you know.

I also seem to have finally found a Candian Mounty

ForumRunner_20160818_205343.jpg

One of the many skills we have learned

Thanks to Chris B for teaching my wife how to make sourdough bread from scratch! This is the best one yet!!!:thumb::dance:

Attachments

• 13932666_10208798891961002_2014306448474018422_n.jpg
    13932666_10208798891961002_2014306448474018422_n.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 50
Just can't seem to get to 2 mpg....:nonono:

So here are the numbers from Port McNeil to Oak Harbor (via Broughtons, Desolation, sunshine coast, Vancouver B.C. San Juan Islands Oak harbor):

Miles: 525

Hours: 80.9

MPG: 1.85

Burn Rate: 3.5 gph

Fuel Cost: $598.90 @ $2.11pg Oak Harbor.

Hi Tom / Kay

great job with the bread Kay, this looks better than mine.:socool: Tom just slow down to 6 kt and you will hit the 2 mpg mark, like me at 2.2 mpg Just add time.

Safe Travels

Chris & Brigitte

Look at what my Admiral got me!!! I am so happyyyyyy:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 139
Hi Tom / Kay

great job with the bread Kay, this looks better than mine.:socool: Tom just slow down to 6 kt and you will hit the 2 mpg mark, like me at 2.2 mpg Just add time.

Safe Travels

Chris & Brigitte

Kay says she learned from the "Master Baker!"

That was at 6kts!!! at 800rpms! Maybe if I reduce it to idle....:confused:

"Ouch!!!!":D:lol::lol::rofl:

:hide::peace:

Looking at the weather reports, Tuesday looks like a good day and Wednesday even looks better for the crossing from Neah Bay to Astoria. Good tides in late afternoon for the crossing of the Columbia River Bar.:thumb:

We plan to leave around 10 AM to Port Angeles, then Monday to Neah Bay. Once at Neah Bay we will top off fuel then decide which day we will go. This trip is fast coming to an end.

Cape Flattery:

TUE
LIGHT WIND...BECOMING NW 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. W
SWELL 6 FT.

[SIZE=+1]WED[/SIZE]
NW WIND TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT. W SWELL 5 FT.

Cape Shoalwater:

TUE NW WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. NW SWELL 5 FT.

[SIZE=+1]WED[/SIZE] NW WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. NW SWELL 4 FT.

Columbia River

TUE N WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. NW SWELL 4 FT.

[SIZE=+1] WED[/SIZE] N WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. NW SWELL 4 FT.

:popcorn:

We propose dinner at the Jig and Lure (in the marina) at a time of your choosing. We can run car errands before/after if desired.

Well we may just anchor but then again we may dock up. Don't know yet. Is the marina full? Kay may want to go to dinner. We are leaving to hit the noon slack at the bridge, then 3.5 to 4 hours to PA.

Weather Hold

Puget Sound is not my friend today. Will settle down tomorrow afternoon.

GALE WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL LATE TONIGHT

[SIZE=+1] TODAY[/SIZE] W WIND 25 TO 35 KT...RISING TO 30 TO 40 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 4 TO 6 FT...BUILDING TO 5 TO 7 FT. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING. [SIZE=+1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]TONIGHT[/SIZE] W WIND 30 TO 40 KT...EASING TO 25 TO 35 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 5 TO 7 FT.

Yeah, not fun conditions. ��

Irene told me this morning that he looked out his window and it was crappy already with big white caps.

I will be on the bow later this afternoon with a scotch and cigar watching buoy 46088 when the 40kt winds hit.....:eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom