Benford Fantail 38 resurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I'll try and get a photo of him.

I doubt you'll have enough data storage to get pics of 'em all. Seems more the norm than the exception with sportfishers entering and leaving a harbor, no?

ABYC is silent regarding Navigation light placement relative to the shear. So are the international standards as of htelast time I checked.

16.6 REQUIREMENTS - SPECIFIC LOCATION AND INSTALLATION
Lights shall not be obscured by the hull, deck, fixed structures or optional equipment under normal operating conditions.

EXCEPTIONS:

1. In accordance with the 72 COLREGS and Inland Rules, all-round lights may not be obscured by masts, topmasts, or structures within angular sectors of more than 6°.

2. Anchor lights, which need not be placed at an impracticable height above the hull.

Navigation lights shall be installed

to prevent the lights from shining into the operator’s eyes when the operator is in the normal operating position, and

to prevent reflection off a vessel’s structure within the operator’s field of vision. See FIGURE 4.

NOTE: This does not cover reflected glare or loom light from atmospheric vapor, such as fog or mist.

The luminous intensity of navigation lights shall not be adjustable by any variable control.

The all-round light output shall not be directly visible from the operator's position. See FIGURE 5.

Light fixtures shall be mounted to ensure that the light shows over the required arcs of visibility, and shall satisfy the required vertical separation and location requirements when the vessel is in a static floating position, or when measured using the datum water line as a reference. See FIGURE 6 and FIGURE 7.

All craft on which navigation lights are provided shall have an anchor light. The anchor light need not be permanently installed, but shall comply with A-16.5.1.

When a vessel uses electric lights, one operation, such as one switch or one position of a switch, shall display the complete navigation light configuration as required for the vessel while underway. Another switch or switch position shall display the anchor light only. Switch functions shall be appropriately labeled.

EXCEPTION: Auxiliary powered sailboats may use additional switches to satisfy underway conditions for both sail and power.

Navigation lights shall be mounted so as to minimize damage by contact with other objects under normal operating conditions.

Navigation lights shall be installed in accordance with ABYC E-11, AC and DC Electrical Systems on Boats, as appropriate.

NOTE: ABYC E-11, AC & DC Electrical Systems on Boats requires that conductors used in navigation light wiring be sized for no more than three percent voltage drop.

ABYC is silent regarding Navigation light placement relative to the shear. So are the international standards as of htelast time I checked.

It's a little more complicated than that. ABYC prohibits side lights from being below the sheer ( ABYC 16.7.1.3.1 under 72 COLREGS, the sidelights shall be carried above the sheerline). Recent changes to the Inland Navigation Rules make them nearly identical to the International Rules, so we will describe the ... Stern lights are white and shine aft and 67.5° forward on each side (can't be done below the sheerline, well maybe on a conoe stern). Thus ... They must be above the sidelights which are clearly prohibited from being below the sheer..

You may also want to read this article

Last edited:
Stern lights must be mounted above sidelights? Did I read that correctly?

Seems silly if they are the only light being seen at a time from astern, plus there are lots of boats with the stern light mounted lower than the stern light.

Hope I just misunderstood.

Stern lights are white and shine aft and 67.5° forward on each side (can't be done below the sheerline, well maybe on a conoe stern).
this article

Not following your logic. The arc is 135 degrees viewed from dead astern. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471663287.725727.jpg You don't want to see the light from the side.

The problem with stuff like this is we are dealing with five different sets of rules. ....

-International Collision Regs (+annexes)
-International Collision Regs with US modifications
-US Inland Rules
-ABYC
-International Collision Regs with Canadian modifications

My original comment on Stern light below the sheer was specified as a Canadian thing only.

Sorry we are on the water and don't really have time to go through and pull all the references but to read one spec without reference to all the others doesn't always get you where you want to go.

Heading into Lock 6 in the Oswego canal in a few minutes. Don't know when we'll have WiFi again.

No worries. Enjoy your vacation. You are in my old stomping grounds and summer boating is fun there.

Would like to pick it up later, maybe on another thread.

I was thinking of moving my light to the stern this spring, so when I read your post, it gave me pause, and never followed up on it.

When Tadhana brought it up it made me think of it again as well, because I never did move my light and ideally will be constructing a new mast this winter.

Last edited:
Should be on the Sylvan Beach (Lake Oneida, NY) wall late afternoon.

A few shots from Phoenix, NY

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 138
Nice! Looks like someone is having a great time! ??

I really wish I could come down to visit you guys, but duty calls, and I have to head back to work today. I hope you have a great trip!

I really wish I could come down to visit you guys, but duty calls, and I have to head back to work today. I hope you have a great trip!

Sorry we missed you too. Now in Little Falls NY, a beautiful little town with the best burgers ever at the Copper Moose.

Attachments

• IMG_5145.JPG
    IMG_5145.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5150.JPG
    IMG_5150.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 72
So, Poker: What's the reaction to your beautiful vessel so far? Must be catching the eyes and the comments at the dock, no?

So, Poker: What's the reaction to your beautiful vessel so far? Must be catching the eyes and the comments at the dock, no?

Just pulled in to Waterford NY. Everything working as it should :dance:
This is the first real test of all my newly installed systems and what looked good on paper is actually working as designed .... sometimes you just get lucky.

Sharon is having a blast, she even lets me drive once in a while.

Get lot's of questions about the boat as no one knows what it is.

Thank God for free docks with power for the AC as the Erie Canal has been brutally hot. Docked next to a couple of free concerts, met some great people including Jeff F.

I love the NY State Canal System and would gladly cruise it year round ...... except for the snow that is coming soon.

PS> Clean your strainers every night in the Canals.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 89
That's nice how the dingy nestles in there like that. Very slick setup!

Is it hard to deploy?

That's nice how the dingy nestles in there like that. Very slick setup!

Is it hard to deploy?

Much easier than I had any right to expect from a seat-of-my-pants design. We raise the boom until the end is directly over the lift point in the dinghy, then hand crank it up a foot or so with the winch on the boom, them swing the boom out and winch the dinghy down. Very easy with two people and not real difficult with one.

The dinghy nests in a pair athwartships stainless steel rails, easier to locate the dinghy and adjust it's position than if we had installed conventional chocks.

Last edited:
Really great to hear that all systems are go. With your attention to detail, I'm not surprised. Ain't it great when a plan comes together? I kinda feel the same way with my boat.

That dink setup looks nice. Fits like a glove. Let's see a shot of your dink rails, if time permits...

That's a lot of salad in your strainer every day! Was that enough to bring on an engine temp rise? I've only had to clean my strainer once in 9 years...and that's because I let my coworker run my boat aground when I wasn't (and should have been) looking. But that was for mud/gravel.

Really great to hear that all systems are go. With your attention to detail, I'm not surprised. Ain't it great when a plan comes together? I kinda feel the same way with my boat.

That dink setup looks nice. Fits like a glove. Let's see a shot of your dink rails, if time permits...

That's a lot of salad in your strainer every day! Was that enough to bring on an engine temp rise? I've only had to clean my strainer once in 9 years...and that's because I let my coworker run my boat aground when I wasn't (and should have been) looking. But that was for mud/gravel.

Brought temp up from 190 to 195, Not a problem but very well could be if not cleaned out every night. Probably won't have the dink down again until we get inside at Manasquan NJ but will post photo then, it worked amazingly well.

Here's a couple of shots of the rails. Standard ss fittings on thick wall 1" ss tube.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 66
Does that catamaran have engines? Don't see a sail?

Looks like a British Seagull outboard mounted to the forward ama.
Also appears to be a pushboat behind?
You certainly see some interesting things on a trip like that!
Makes you realize the 9-5 daily routine of the rat race is not the only way of living out your time on this Earth.

Last edited:
Does that catamaran have engines? Don't see a sail?

No engines, two wooden masts on deck. being towed up the canal by a small powerboat. What looks like an outboard is the very long wooden rudder pole.
Some better photos on the link I provided.

Leaving Waterford, NY first thing in the morning to head down the Hudson (slowly). We have booked two nights at Liberty Landing ($4.00/ft, ouch!) but Sharon wants to see it and Ellis Island up close.

This little Ranger "tug" makes DIRT FREE look huge. He's here for the TUG ROUNDUP which starts next week, sorry we'll miss it.

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 59
Currently at anchor off Nyack NY, posting from a Starbucks.
We are kind of stuck at the moment as we don't want to head into NY City with a hurricane threatening the harbour. We will not proceed down the Hudson til' this thing passes. Some ships, tugs and barges are already heading up the Hudson to escape the expected storm surge in the harbour and they are way bigger than us.

Once this passes we will be spending a couple of days in Liberty Landing Marina to visit Ellis Island and "the" statue. We may not have Wifi access again til' then.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have booked two nights at Liberty Landing ($4.00/ft, ouch!) but Sharon wants to see it and Ellis Island up close.

Apparently they think a lot of their marina. I'll have to consider changing professions as I hadn't realized boat surveying was so lucrative. :rolleyes:

Currently at anchor off Nyack NY, posting from a Starbucks.
We are kind of stuck at the moment as we don't want to head into NY City with a hurricane threatening the harbour. We will not proceed down the Hudson til' this thing passes. Some ships, tugs and barges are already heading up the Hudson to escape the expected storm surge in the harbour and they are way bigger than us.

Be safe! I'm told the Hudson gets awful busy when NYC has a storm coming.

Ted

Pulled into Liberty Landing this morning where we'll spend two days doing the tourist thing .... always wanted to see Ellis Island. After that we'll head over to Midget Squadron Yacht Club in Jamaica Bay for a day or two to spend some time with my buddy and fellow surveyor Jerry Zingale AMS while we wait for the right weather to head outside.

roast beef marinated in armagnac with tangerines in a white wine reduction gravy.

Attachments

• IMG_5213.JPG
    IMG_5213.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Our Liberty Landing slip and ribs boiling in whiskey. They will be bbq'd and basted in a mollasses, lime, chili powder, red pepper and sesame oil sauce.
I'll let you know how they turn out :)

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 37
Very cool pics !

Ribs boiled in whiskey sounds interesting...

Back
Top Bottom