PNW GoPro Time Lapse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nsail

Gorge Harbour to Prideaux Haven

I make a lot of videos when I'm cruising, but I don't think any of them would interest anyone here so I don't share them. However, I've recently started time lapsing my cruises. I know that I've always been intrigued with almost any time lapse video I've ever seen and thought that some here might like them also. Especially if you've never been to the PNW. I think they could also be useful to someone who wants to familiarize themselves with a harbor entrance if they're going there for the first time.

I hope at some point others will do this as well, as I would like to see other cruising grounds.

Nothing fancy, not even sound, and probably too long for some.

Note that this was filmed in HD, so it may be better to actually go to YouTube and go full screen in HD mode. Full screen is much better.

And, if it seems that any of you like it, I'll post more.

Last edited:
Was that DHays's NP 43 at the start?

No. He wasn't anywhere around there then. Video was taken 7-12-16

Was that DHays's NP 43 at the start?

Not to mention that I don't have an O2 tent on my flybridge. :rolleyes:

Was Rogue up that way?

Great video. Was the exposure every 2 sec or 5 seconds?

Thanks for posting that! The lightning was pretty neat, and those clouds coming over the mountains looked awesome. That anchorage must be a sight to behold in person.

I enjoyed it and watched it on YouTube. As a GoPro rookie, what model GP do you have and like Dave said, what was the exposure time? Also, the whole video took 10 minutes. What was your travel time?

GoPro Hero4 Silver. Exposure every .5 seconds. Makes them a little long but much smoother. It took about 3 hours actual travel time.

I have a lot more and plan to post more now that I know some people like them, but they take a long time to upload and I may wait until I get home, where I have a much faster connection. So maybe a couple more weeks, but I may try to do some before then if I have time.

Yes, Prideaux Haven is a very special place, and can therefore be crowded at times.

Last edited:
Pretty cruising grounds! No barges and petro-chemical plants like my beautiful Texas Redneck Riviera, but it's still nice. ?

GoPro Hero4 Silver. Exposure every .5 seconds. Makes them a little long but much smoother. It took about 3 hours actual travel time.

I have a lot more and plan to post more now that I know some people like them, but they take a long time to upload and I may wait until I get home, where I have a much faster connection. So maybe a couple more weeks, but I may try to do some before then if I have time.

Yes, Prideaux Haven is a very special place, and can therefore be crowded at times.

Every 1/2 second?

Compared to when I was there a couple weeks later, Prideaux was absolutely empty when you were there. One nice thing about that video is that it gives a good sense of what the weather and waters can be like in the Salish Sea. Low clouds, light rain, and flat water. We have a pallet of infinite grays. Lovely in its own way and since I grew up with it, it feels very comfortable.

12687828_10154499241933448_3376947284019133846_n.jpg

photo.php

Every 1/2 second?

Yes, every 1/2 second. Early on, I experimented with every 10, 5, 2 & 1 seconds and they're generally fine (except 10 & 5 in rougher water), but 1/2 is better and doesn't take up that much memory. At some point, I'll post some of those longer interval videos as well, and you'll be able to see the difference.

Fun! I love time lapse. I usually use .5 second frame rates for "shorter" videos (meaning around 30-45 minutes real time), and 1 second for longer trips or events. However I typically edit them down to be a minute or two in finished length. I watched the Gorge Harbor beginning then fast forwarded to the end at Prideaux Haven. If you post more do you mind if I share them on our Facebook page?

Fun! I love time lapse. I usually use .5 second frame rates for "shorter" videos (meaning around 30-45 minutes real time), and 1 second for longer trips or events. However I typically edit them down to be a minute or two in finished length. I watched the Gorge Harbor beginning then fast forwarded to the end at Prideaux Haven. If you post more do you mind if I share them on our Facebook page?

Darren, I've mentioned it before, but I really like the videos that you do. :thumb:

If I have the time, and remember, I'll try to do a time lapse today as I head from Gig Harbor to McMicken Island. It would be a good one to edit as there will be a longish stretch that is rather uneventful running South.

My favorite local boat, Pacific Yellowfin, off your starboard side as you are departing Gorge Harbour.

Darren, I've mentioned it before, but I really like the videos that you do. :thumb:

If I have the time, and remember, I'll try to do a time lapse today as I head from Gig Harbor to McMicken Island. It would be a good one to edit as there will be a longish stretch that is rather uneventful running South.

Thank you! I need to make more... I'd love to see a time lapse of Gig Harbor, though! (It's the one major harbor destination we've not been yet.)

Thank you! I need to make more... I'd love to see a time lapse of Gig Harbor, though! (It's the one major harbor destination we've not been yet.)

Gig Harbor is a great spot. Come on down and spend a few days anchored here and check out the area. Might not want to come on a nice summer weekend, as the place gets very busy, but if the weather is a bit cool and cloudy or it is in the off season, it is very quiet.

Darren,

No problem sharing them on your Facebook page. As far as them being long, I figured that a lot of people would do just as you did - watch the beginning and end, and buzz through the middle, though I personally like to watch the entire video.

Spy,

Yes, the Pacific Yellowfin is quite a vessel! It was there all three days that we were, but oddly we never saw one person on or around it the entire time. We did see one of the tenders on one side of it one day, and the next day it was on the other side, so obviously someone was there.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. It's always fun to ecruise a new area!

Montague Harbour through Dodd Narrows to Nanaimo

For those interested, this videos includes different time intervals when I was experimenting. Some is at 5 seconds and some at 2 seconds. Notice the improvement at approximately 2:25. Changed to either 1 second or 1/2 second. I don't remember which now.

Note - if you click on the header instead of the play arrow, it will send you to YouTube where you can go to full screen and increase the resolution to HD if your computer can handle it.

Great videos, time to start planning for next year. The North Pacific in first video, is a 39, but I don't know it.

For those interested, this videos includes different time intervals when I was experimenting. Some is at 5 seconds and some at 2 seconds. Notice the improvement at approximately 2:25. Changed to either 1 second or 1/2 second. I don't remember which now.

Thanks for sharing. My guess is that the second part was 1 second. What is your typical cruising speed? I have found that the time lapse works well until we run into much chop, then it gets a bit rough.

Speed is typically 8-10 knots in these videos.

And, 1/2 second interval really helps tone the chop down, but can still be somewhat annoying when it reaches a certain level.

By the way, I switched to all 1/2 second intervals after this video, except for 1 segment crossing the Straight of Georgia. Much better and doesn't take up as much memory as I thought it would.

Speed is typically 8-10 knots in these videos.

And, 1/2 second interval really helps tone the chop down, but can still be somewhat annoying when it reaches a certain level.

By the way, I switched to all 1/2 second intervals after this video, except for 1 segment crossing the Straight of Georgia. Much better and doesn't take up as much memory as I thought it would.

Being the highly organized person that I am :nonono: I can't put my hands on my GoPro at the moment but am looking forward to trying the 1/2 second.

Sidney to Telegraph Harbour

Note - if you click on the header instead of the play arrow, it will send you to YouTube where you can go to full screen and increase the resolution to HD if your computer can handle it.

Nice videos.
In the first 2-3 minutes of your first time lapse there is an obvious cycle of mild wandering to port and starboard. Is that your autopilot, or were you hand steering? I'm pretty sure that I look like I'm doing the drunkard's walk when I try to manually hold a straight line.

I've been waiting for someone to ask that. It's on autopilot. And, while I know it can be adjusted to hold a more steady course (rudder gain if I remember correctly), I really have no reason to do so in the PNW. Besides, in this case, if it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it!

Back
Top Bottom