US to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Motoringmike

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of purchasing a used trawler. I understand if I buy one in the US and bring it into Canada I only have to pay the HST at the border and it's all good. As long as it was made in the US such as a Bayliner or similar brand. Does anyone know the rules for bringing a Taiwanese made trawler such as a Marine Trader from the US to Canada? Are there any duties that need to be paid as well? Any info would be great!
Thanks!

convert your purchase price to Canadian dollars
add 9 1/2 % duty
now add the HST

Ted

convert your purchase price to Canadian dollars
add 9 1/2 % duty
now add the HST

Ted

Yup. Been there. Done that.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Agree with the above. But I'm not sure that attention is always paid to the country of origin. I've imported bicycles from the US that were made in Taiwan and have always just paid the HST. When I brought my Mainship into Canada I cleared customs and declared the boat over the phone and paid HST with my credit card. I don't recall any questions about where it was built. Very simple and straightforward, and I had actually obtained the Canadian licence prior to importing the boat - the whole process is less rigorous than importing a car. So my advice is to be prepared to pay the duty but wait until you are asked to pay it.

Agree with the above. But I'm not sure that attention is always paid to the country of origin. I've imported bicycles from the US that were made in Taiwan and have always just paid the HST. When I brought my Mainship into Canada I cleared customs and declared the boat over the phone and paid HST with my credit card. I don't recall any questions about where it was built. Very simple and straightforward, and I had actually obtained the Canadian licence prior to importing the boat - the whole process is less rigorous than importing a car. So my advice is to be prepared to pay the duty but wait until you are asked to pay it.

Yes:thumb::thumb:
purchasing IN country it can take them a year to ask for the HST

Ted

While I agree with the abovementioned there are a couple of points to clarify.
The Customs data base is made up of manufacturers and their origins. So they knew your Mainship was made in the US and was duty free.

Items of lower dollar value are often than not just processed with HST because they can't be bothered to research for the duty. If it's a high value item (boat) good chance they will especially when it's subject to follow-up scrutiny internally.

So bottom line. Don't volunteer to pay but factor it in your numbers and hope for a windfall.

They asked me for the country of manufacture of our KK42, and so said we were on the hook for duty plus GST and PST. We were told to make payment within 3 weeks. And yes, we expected to have to pay these fees.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom