Portable Fuel Polisher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluetide

Veteran Member
Hi

Just setting up a portable fuel polisher.
I have 2 spare Racor 900FH filters with a flow rate of 341 litres per hour.
Would anyone know a suitable pump preferably AC that would work.

There are plenty of Diesel transfer pumps with flow rates of 20 to 40 (1200 to 2400 ) litres a minute but am unsure if they are suitable.

Thanks in advance
Bluetide:):)

For DIESEL any should work, Gasoline needs a special gas pump.

After "polishing" the fuel, how will you clean the fuel tank?

For DIESEL any should work, Gasoline needs a special gas pump.

After "polishing" the fuel, how will you clean the fuel tank?

And how will you agitate the tank while you are filtering the fuel?

Normally Racor filters are before any fuel pump and fuel is sucked thru them. High volume, low pressure is best. High pressure will push bigger particles thru smaller media. Proper fuel additives will clean the tank. There are a couple types - one makes the water separate out better so the Racor will catch it and the other causes the water to be absorbed into the diesel so the engine can burn it.
Briefly, my boat sat 6 years uncared for before I bought it. No fuel maintenance. Using existing Racors with 30 micron filter and Alage-x conditioner I circulated old fuel. Later changed filter to 2 micron. Before starting I hand carried and added 20 gallons of new fuel to the day tank. Before the sea trial I changed the primary filters. On the trip home (500 sea miles in small craft to gale conditions) I carried spare filters. Didn't need them. Two years later when remodeling and the tank tops could be opened I went into each tank and found them clean, w/o water or bio organisms.
I've started many engines on old fuel including mothballed ships, some sitting for 20 years. I never needed more that the existing filter system and proper fuel additives. I've never had a diesel engine fail in my care or one I overhauled.

Thanks guys.
Cheers Lepke was going to do what you suggested.
Will go with the hi- volume pump after the filters using 30 and 10 micron filters.
Is an old work boat with 1200 litres of diesel with quite a bit of debris.

Bluetide

"Proper fuel additives will clean the tank. There are a couple types - one makes the water separate out better so the Racor will catch it and the other causes the water to be absorbed into the diesel so the engine can burn it."

Cleaning the tank of water no problem.

Cleaning the gunk off the tank walls can frequently only be done by opening the tank and using a scraper or power wash.

Or waiting to fall off larger waves and tank sloshing will break some loose.

These are physical , not chemical solutions.

"Proper fuel additives will clean the tank. There are a couple types - one makes the water separate out better so the Racor will catch it and the other causes the water to be absorbed into the diesel so the engine can burn it."

Cleaning the tank of water no problem.

Cleaning the gunk off the tank walls can frequently only be done by opening the tank and using a scraper or power wash.

Or waiting to fall off larger waves and tank sloshing will break some loose.

These are physical , not chemical solutions.

What he said. ^

Back
Top Bottom