FLIBS recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

man n black

Veteran Member
Wife and I attending the Ft. Lauderdale show in Nov. Maps and website info not very effective for looking at Trawler type yachts. Anyone who's been have any tips on attending?

Ch

Most all of the trawlers will be at B/C dock. Far left as you enter. Our new KK52 will be in the show so please say Hi when you come by.

Also looking for cool things to see and do besides FLIBS or anything we should be looking at and where as newbies to blue water cruising (electronics, anchors, radioa, emergency stuff etc)!

All input appreciated!

Ch

Anchors? I would only purchase a _________

Greetings,
Mr. mnb. Be prepared for sensory overload. There is SO much "stuff" there it boggles the mind. We've been several times and between battling the crowds and going on boats there seems to be little time to actually sift through the plethora of booths. Bring good walking shoes that can easily be slipped off for boat visits (keep an eye on them IF they're at all decent looking) and start at the north end above the Los Olas bridge-mostly boats there that could at least be worth a walk by. I'd plan on two days with adequate visits to the beer tents.

Also looking for cool things to see and do besides FLIBS or anything we should be looking at and where as newbies to blue water cruising (electronics, anchors, radioa, emergency stuff etc)!

All input appreciated!

Ch

How long will you be in town?

Greetings,
Mr. mnb. Be prepared for sensory overload. There is SO much "stuff" there it boggles the mind. We've been several times and between battling the crowds and going on boats there seems to be little time to actually sift through the plethora of booths. Bring good walking shoes that can easily be slipped off for boat visits (keep an eye on them IF they're at all decent looking) and start at the north end above the Los Olas bridge-mostly boats there that could at least be worth a walk by. I'd plan on two days with adequate visits to the beer tents.

I'd plan on at least two days and if I was making the effort to come in for it, then I'd want to see it all. If you don't want to miss anything you're interested in, that's really the only way because although one area might be trawler heavy, that doesn't mean they aren't scattered elsewhere. I'd look at the map before hand and look at the exhibitors and plan the can't miss places.

Can't help you on parking as we walk there.

Can't help you on parking as we walk there.

I've been there a couple of times now, and parking has always been a non issue.

I've been there a couple of times now, and parking has always been a non issue.

We plan not to use a car during the show if we're home. Anywhere we go, we go by boat or on foot. Regardless, traffic is nothing like Miami.

@Capt.Bill....we arrive Thurs evening and leave Sunday night. We are planning the show for 2 days...

Good tips all on the shoe watching etc..I believe we will stay at a hotel close to the show.

We are VERY interested in trawler type boats due to their go anywhere blue water capabilities and are anxious to get aboard a few different makes hopefully...I see KK is an exhibitor and we know that at least one Bering will be close as well.

Been looking at the maddening maps as we don't know the area...hopefully will have a better plan thanks to the info from folks here and more time assimilating maps and app..any and all info is appreciated[emoji106]

Ch

@BandB...We are thinking the ability to do ocean crossings.

Our plan is to mostly retire early (work from home), live aboard and start somewhere. When we get bored...we'll pull up anchor or untie, fuel up if needed and go. We have places all over the world we'd like to visit on slow time..
Ch

FLIBS is one of the largest boat shows in the world, 2 days is the minimum time to see boats. Unlike many other boat shows there are brokerage boats at this show. If you are looking at new boats then you can see used boats at the upper price ranges also. The cost to put a boat in the show is around $10,000 or more so older, low price boats are not there. There are also many boats in the area that are not in the show that will be available to be seen some before the show opens or after it closes. Many brokers will be too busy to show boats during show hours but can make arrangements.
The Show Management web site list of boats in the show will get more accurate as we get closer, as boats sell and new listing become available. Many boat owners do not commit until September.
There is parking in downtown lots with shuttle buses between the sites, they are too far apart to walk. They also have shuttle ferry boats which are fun to see the waterfront areas and multi million dollar homes.

Attachments

• Flibs08_74.jpg
    Flibs08_74.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 88
@yachtbrokerguy and CaptBill...looks like we will be staying either at a hotel with water taxi service or we will be able to Uber back and forth, also looks as if we will be extending our stay by a day or so as the flights are cheaper!

@yachtbrokerguy...please check your PM's...

Ch

Last edited:
@BandB...We are thinking the ability to do ocean crossings.

Our plan is to mostly retire early (work from home), live aboard and start somewhere. When we get bored...we'll pull up anchor or untie, fuel up if needed and go. We have places all over the world we'd like to visit on slow time..
Ch

Well, the only oceans I know near us are the Atlantic and the Pacific. I don't personally think of cruising to the Caribbean to be an ocean crossing, nor do I think of a trip to the Bahamas as one. That was what I was trying to get to with my question. If you're thinking of long crossings across the Atlantic or Pacific then you've greatly limited the boats you are looking for based on both range and safety.

Even a trip to the Eastern Caribbean can be done as "coastal cruising", just what I'd call cruising offshore or in the ocean. They require a good rough water boat but not the same one as ocean crossing.

Now others might define it entirely different than me, but what your definition is will be important to your choice.

@yachtbrokerguy and CaptBill...looks like we will be staying either at a hotel with water taxi service or we will be able to Uber back and forth, also looks as if we will be extending our stay by a day or so as the flights are cheaper!

@yachtbrokerguy...please check your PM's...

Ch

In that case if you want resturant recommendations and other things worth seeing/doing besides the show let me know.

@BandB....yessir...we have a small but growing list of needs and wants in a boat..first and foremost is seaworthiness and redundant systems to make safe ocean crossings...it does seem to limit our boat type/manufacturer numbers....

I personally would love a sexy, fast, luxurious Hatteras fishing boat....but we'd be stuck cargo shipping it around the world and that's just not adventurous..I also like the idea of the Nordhavn 75EYF but few of those have been built and I've read there were inherent problems with that boat as compared to other Nordhavn models..Ultimately...we know that we have to tour some boats and get a feel for what we need and want vs. what we can give up..These forums have helped answer some of those questions for us already..

Cheers,
Ch

@BandB....yessir...we have a small but growing list of needs and wants in a boat..first and foremost is seaworthiness and redundant systems to make safe ocean crossings...it does seem to limit our boat type/manufacturer numbers....

I personally would love a sexy, fast, luxurious Hatteras fishing boat....but we'd be stuck cargo shipping it around the world and that's just not adventurous..I also like the idea of the Nordhavn 75EYF but few of those have been built and I've read there were inherent problems with that boat as compared to other Nordhavn models..Ultimately...we know that we have to tour some boats and get a feel for what we need and want vs. what we can give up..These forums have helped answer some of those questions for us already..

Cheers,
Ch

You've established one of the requirements. You need to think how many will be aboard, whether you'll have crew or not, experience of you and others. Also, look at other cruising grounds. For instance the 75EYF you mentioned eliminates a lot of cruising grounds because of both air draft and water draft. One thing you'll find in looking too is that the boat which "can" do what you want, "may" not do it at all comfortably. It's one thing to be safe, but if you don't enjoy the trip, that's not enough. When you talk crossing oceans in a power boat then size becomes a big plus. Give me a 40' and a 70' built with the same seaworthiness and both capable of crossing, the 40' may leave you wanting to sell the boat and fly home and the 70' might handle the rough seas with less of the feeling being transmitted to those aboard. The sensation of the rises and falls is just less.

You're at the point to start working on your requirements list, but you've established a couple of criteria which will narrow your selection considerably.

Bring baby powder. Last time I went, my wobbly bits got a little chafed....a lot chafed. You'll be doing a lot of walking in a potentially hot humid environment. A little dusting and...poof...back to normal. I'm not kidding!!!

Many insurance companies will require paid crew for ocean passage making unless you have had very extensive experience. It will be worth your time when investigating what type of boat to buy to also investigate insurance prior to your purchase.
Getting back to the boat show it is a spectacle, with hundreds of boats on display, many well over 80 feet. Foot traffic on the docks is slow as there are so many people. The first day is less crowded as the tickets are high priced, the last day is less crowded as the local folks will be back to work. If you decide to drive there are a few parking lots near the entrance at $75 or more. Traffic is jammed in the area of Bahia Mar.
Many hotels have minimum stay, especially the ones within walking distance so reserve soon as many will be sold out and prices will rise as we get closer to show dates.

"Last time I went, my wobbly bits got a little chafed..."

Way too much information!
Wobbly bits, very descriptive.

LOL +1...

We atr finalizing our rooms as we speak probably stay close enough to walk to the water taxi or we'll just Uber back and forth..flights have been done for a week now..

@BandB...agreed...That's a large reason why we are attending FLIBS...hopefully get to walk around on a few boats from different manufacturers to get a better feel of liveaboard size vs. length and features etc. We definetely want to enjoy the journey...unfortunately because our primary mission is a go anywhere boat I think we're locked into a trawler type. Those all seem to have 6+ feet of water draft and are quite tall in the sizes we think we'll be comfortable on..we'd likely have to do the great loop on something different and be careful with our anchorages elsewhere..

Ch

Not an absolute, but " crossing oceans" favors a full displacement hull form, and great loop plus canals and inland bridges favors wet exhaust ( air draft), and ICW favors >6 ft draft. At this point, the list of capable boats gets shorter. Kadey Krogen is one. There are others that will be mentioned after this post. I am obviously partial to KK. And no, I am not a broker.
I don't intend to cross oceans, but having a boat that can provides a bit of safety margin when crossing " troubled waters" such as the Mona Passage etc. See you at the show.

@BandB...agreed...That's a large reason why we are attending FLIBS...hopefully get to walk around on a few boats from different manufacturers to get a better feel of liveaboard size vs. length and features etc. We definetely want to enjoy the journey...unfortunately because our primary mission is a go anywhere boat I think we're locked into a trawler type. Those all seem to have 6+ feet of water draft and are quite tall in the sizes we think we'll be comfortable on..we'd likely have to do the great loop on something different and be careful with our anchorages elsewhere..

Ch

Fleming 65. 5' draft, 17'11" air draft. Cross oceans. Cruise 14 knots or so, WOT 18 knots. Range at 8 knots, 2000 nm, at 7 knots, close to 3000 nm, at 6 knots, 3500 nm. Capable of oceans, loop or ICW.

Fleming 55. 5' draft, 16' air draft. Cruise 14 knots or so, WOT 18 knots. Range at 8 knots, 2000 nm, at 7 knots, 2500 nm, at 6 knots, 3000 nm.

There are others.

As to height, there are some that clear except for arch's or masts and those can be hinged.

Fleming 65. 5' draft, 17'11" air draft. Cross oceans. Cruise 14 knots or so, WOT 18 knots. Range at 8 knots, 2000 nm, at 7 knots, close to 3000 nm, at 6 knots, 3500 nm. Capable of oceans, loop or ICW.

Fleming 55. 5' draft, 16' air draft. Cruise 14 knots or so, WOT 18 knots. Range at 8 knots, 2000 nm, at 7 knots, 2500 nm, at 6 knots, 3000 nm.

There are others.

As to height, there are some that clear except for arch's or masts and those can be hinged.

Yes and Marlows have a low air draft and are very stable at anchor.

We will for sure take a look at Marlows and Flemings, though not exactly in our looks wheelhouse, as we'd like something a touch saltier looking; Ive watched many of Tony's videos and he demonstrates his boats are very capable, though I'm not sure we are in the market for a semi-displacement hull type.

@SailorGreg...we'll deffo say Hi at the KK area. Your "Privateer" is in our size range as a liveaboard and it'd be good to get a sense of actual interior vs. exterior sizes. KK is on our short list as manufacturer. One other thing...did i read your quote right the ICW favors boats of greater than 6 feet draft? If so please explain?

Our lodging is all set (Sonesta) so we are definitely locked into and excited to go to the show :dance:. Our tix will be sorted by mid week next week and we have changed our stay plans to have the availability of going to the Thurs night preview as well!

Capt. Bill has given us SOME FABULOUS restaurant recommendations and I can repost them if anyone following is interested.

Please keep posting valuable info as I still willing to learn more!

Hopefully we'll catch a few of you there!

Cheers,
Ch

Last edited:
I'm sure he meant less than 6' draft is best for the ICW.

And for areas like the Keys and Bahamas for that matter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom