Bimini Top Material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't like the aspect of this product

This thread has been around for a while, but I'm still going to use it rather than start a new one, because of the good information on it.

I'm about ready to take my Sunbrella bimini down and install one of these, and just wondered if anyone might have any up-to-date information which might be useful before I start? Any recent experiences?

Thanks

Man, John, that sunbrella bimini didn't last very long. It was new in the summer of 2012.

Man, John, that sunbrella bimini didn't last very long. It was new in the summer of 2012.

Hey, Doug. It lasts just fine, but has a lot of mildew on it and just looks terrible! I suspect that it is good for several years yet insofar as doing the job that it is intended to do, but I don't like it looking so bad. I have tried cleaning it, but to no effect. My fault, entirely. I have neglected it, and now the pigeons are coming home to roost. The story of my life, actually. :)

I have one

I ordered the HardtoTop cover. Put it on myself and love it. Very easy to install. All parts and pieces included. Blocks the sun but let's light through. Very lightweight. Mine is 12'x14' and covers the flybridge on my 40' Trawler. I got the add on curtain rail and integral LED lighting.

Last edited:
I ordered the HardtoTop cover. Put it on myself and love it. Very easy to install. All parts and pieces included. Blocks the sun but let's light through. Very lightweight. Mine is 12'x14' and covers the flybridge on my 40' Trawler. I got the add on curtain rail and integral LED lighting.

Thanks. Exactly the sort of info that I was looking for!

This thread has been around for a while, but I'm still going to use it rather than start a new one, because of the good information on it.

I'm about ready to take my Sunbrella bimini down and install one of these, and just wondered if anyone might have any up-to-date information which might be useful before I start? Any recent experiences?

Thanks

Glad you resurrected this thread. This really looks like a great product!

Hey, Doug. It lasts just fine, but has a lot of mildew on it and just looks terrible! I suspect that it is good for several years yet insofar as doing the job that it is intended to do, but I don't like it looking so bad. I have tried cleaning it, but to no effect. My fault, entirely. I have neglected it, and now the pigeons are coming home to roost. The story of my life, actually. :)

You can easily make the old one look better until you get the new one John. Mix up a STRONG, like almost 50/50 bleach to water solution in a pump style garden sprayer. Spray it on. Wait 15 or 20 minutes. Hose it off.

Good as new. May degrade the sunbrella a tinybit, but it will be fine, and you are planning on replacing it anyway. I stretched out the time our old bimini on the new boat lasted for 2 years doing that.

I saw your boat the other day, it has a lot of mildew (Wakulla County has more mildew than any other place on earth) but it will all come off, I promise.

This method works well inside exterior lockers etc. as well. You don't have to mix it as strong in that application, but the garden sprayer is the key.

Thanks, Doug. I'll give that a shot.

Sunbrella gets along fine with bleach. In fact they recommend it on their site which has excellent care instructions.

Should the pieces with eisenglass be removed first?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom