Raw Water Strainers Metal or Plastic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used them and hate them because they clog easy.

Everything else is nice, but the tripod top holder allows fairly small objects to clog them....and then they are a bitc* to clean out.

Yes, outside the hull thru hull covers may prevent that, but I prefer an open thru hull for excellent reasons and other strainers wouldn't clog like the Forespars.

If I was in the market again, I would look closely at the Raritan strainers.

If it's not a Groco, I won't go.

I rolled my own plastic strainers using a plastic mesh canvas, similar to this.
Darice® Stiff Canvas Mesh, Clear

All I recall was it was white mesh my wife had some and said she got from the craft store.

If it is too stiff to bend tight, I used a heat gun to soften into a roll. Then I used copper wire to secure the ends like a stitch thru the holes. Monofilament I could have used instead.

I did this many years ago and it has never failed. It cost me nothing but time.
It works, I mean it passes the water just fine.And I suppose strains out stuff. Our water does not have much trouble regarding the need for strainers. Nothing stops jellyfish from clogging the line.

When I pull them out every so often to see, they look just like when I made them. These are fit into 2 Sendure Y strainers.

I have a Perko bronze strainer with SS basket. It must be decades old. The SS basket is in fine shape, who knows, maybe it is Monel. The Perko strainer has a clear plastic tube maybe 4 inches across and thick outer part that is crazed. Where do you get new ones?

The pipe size for it is 1/2 inch.

Last edited:
I rolled my own plastic strainers using a plastic mesh canvas, similar to this.
Darice® Stiff Canvas Mesh, Clear

All I recall was it was white mesh my wife had some and said she got from the craft store.

If it is too stiff to bend tight, I used a heat gun to soften into a roll. Then I used copper wire to secure the ends like a stitch thru the holes. Monofilament I could have used instead.

I did this many years ago and it has never failed. It cost me nothing but time.
It works, I mean it passes the water just fine.And I suppose strains out stuff. Our water does not have much trouble regarding the need for strainers. Nothing stops jellyfish from clogging the line.

When I pull them out every so often to see, they look just like when I made them. These are fit into 2 Sendure Y strainers.

I have a Perko bronze strainer with SS basket. It must be decades old. The SS basket is in fine shape, who knows, maybe it is Monel. The Perko strainer has a clear plastic tube maybe 4 inches across and thick outer part that is crazed. Where do you get new ones?

The pipe size for it is 1/2 inch.

Does your Perko strainer have a single large wing nut on top or two small ones that hold the lid on? I'll see if I can find the part number for you.

If your basket is old enough, it might be Monel. Groco still offers Monel baskets, I don't think Perko does.

Does your Perko strainer have a single large wing nut on top or two small ones that hold the lid on? I'll see if I can find the part number for you.

If your basket is old enough, it might be Monel. Groco still offers Monel baskets, I don't think Perko does.

It has a single large acorn nut that holds on the top cover plate. Cover plate is 1/4 thick bronze smooth with no ridges, like a large thick washer.
Strainer is from 1970.
I think it is a Groco since all the Perko have 2 bolts holding the top cover?
It is plumbed with 1/2 inch NPT. It was installed with the Onan generator decades ago.
The basket I recall gets a greenish tinge, so it really might be monel. The basket is in perfect shape.

I use a Groco ARG series strainer on my A/C, which runs almost all the time. It was eating the SS baskets almost yearly. I switched to a Monel basket, which still looks new after 2 years, not even any stains or discoloration. In hindsight, I suppose I could have chosen Plastic and saved some money, but Monel definitely makes a difference.

Here is a link to a list of replacement parts and gaskets for Groco strainers. It lists SS, Plastic and Monel replacements for most models.

YMMV:thumb:

Back in those days both Perko and Groco made center rod style strainers. The name and model number will be cast in it some where. They were proud of what they made.

As I recall, Groco always used a big wing nut and Perko used an acorn nut or wing nut.
At any rate, if you want to disassemble it and measure the clear cylinder, I'll check to see if either Groco or Perko has it available. I need the diameter and height.

With the crazing in the cylinder that you describe, it's time to replace it. If you can't get a new cylinder (and gaskets) it's time for a new strainer.

Back
Top Bottom