Does anyone go from a trawler to sail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm willing to bet that if you contracted with Tad Roberts he could find a rigger and fabricator that can pull that all together before Halloween. To me his design is far more aesthetically pleasing than the factory rig.

I agree. It looks better than the factory rig.

If it could be done that quickly and without much effort from me, and at a reasonable cost I might do it.

However (as dhays reminded me), this rig doesn't make my boat a sailboat. This rig was designed for stability with the paravanes, and the sails were really for "get home" purposes only although they might add a little speed underway.

Last edited:
Silly question, but do you think that the proposed rig would actually provide any realistic motive power to the boat? I can see it helping to make the ride more comfortable in a sea, but I just can't see it actually being able to sail the boat.

Seem to me that if you want a boat that will sail, then buy a sailboat, or a well designed motorsailor.

That rig is really just a "get home" rig, but it might add a knot underway I think he said.

So yeah, not really a sailboat.

Yeah really, I don't know where I came up with that "added value" comment. ?
Yeah I figure we spend 5 to 7 k per year just to keep our "DREAM" alive .

not really a sailboat.

Who said it has to be?

Mark Pierce gets as much if not more satisfaction with his Coot than any two other boaters I know. His sail rig adds perhaps 1/2 a knot downwind but guess what, he doesn't care. Playing with the laundry once in a while is all he cares to do and brings him joy. It looks cool and puts a smile on his face is all that matters.

Besides all the sailors and ex sailors up thread just told you they mainly motorsailed anyway.

I'm willing to bet that if you contracted with Tad Roberts he could find a rigger and fabricator that can pull that all together before Halloween. To me his design is far more aesthetically pleasing than the factory rig.

Plus one here, although I know that Cardude really likes the "equipped" look. I proposed this shrimper setup, but he was concerned about shading his solar panel.:popcorn:

Attachments

• Bill's Shrimper 2. wide.jpg
    Bill's Shrimper 2. wide.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 51
I do like the tires however. ?

Yeah really, I don't know where I came up with that "added value" comment. ?

I think chartering and then finding out if that increases or diminishes your desire is a good idea. Or maybe it fulfills your need and you decide doing that periodically makes you happy.

Now, as to your saying that what you're thinking doesn't make sense, nothing about boating does. The moment one tries to justify any of the financial investment it's a losing cause. Better to simply ask if you can afford to do something, but all of boating is a money losing proposition.

Yeah I struggle with the financial irresponsibility of big boat boating from time to time. I am usually pretty penurious, so it's a hard habit to break. I'm working on it.

Mark Pierce gets as much if not more satisfaction with his Coot than any two other boaters I know. His sail rig adds perhaps 1/2 a knot downwind but guess what, he doesn't care. Playing with the laundry once in a while is all he cares to do and brings him joy. It looks cool and puts a smile on his face is all that matters. ...

Yeah I struggle with the financial irresponsibility of big boat boating from time to time. I am usually pretty penurious, so it's a hard habit to break. I'm working on it.

Most of the pleasurable things we do in life are costly. Just a simple thing like going to a concert. Ultimately, it's how we want to use the dollars and time we have available. We have two limited resources to consider. If I wanted to sail more then I'd have to do less of something and I don't have anything I want to give up for that.

We are presently trying to sell our trawler type boat and get back into a sailboat. We lived aboard a sailboat for six years and spent half that time cruising. Full cockpit enclosure kept the weather at bay. Summers we either spent in a marina or somewhere cool like Maine. Our main gripe with the power boat is the noise and constant need to be looking for the next fuel dock. Yes, we did motor quite a bit but it was not anywhere near as noisy and our NMPG was a whole lot better.
Coming back from cruising we ended up in Clearwater, FL, and decided to head back to Galveston so we took off across the Gulf, can't do that in our current boat. Another time coming back we left out of Mobile Bay and headed back to Galveston, no ICW at all.
Besides that, a power boat is boring, there is nothing to do, set the throttles and go along for the ride, no sails to trim or change or constantly tweak.
Maybe it's just us,
Bob

I kinda feel sorry for those sailboaters we pass exposed to the elements while putt-putting along, having to work at every tack. It just looks like such hard work to go so slow in such little creature comfort. And when you go below, you're really below. Don't expect to look out the ports for a view. It ain't there.

Give me my 7.5 Kt pseudo-trawler at 3.2 gph and the ability to travel in straight lines in comfort, ease and efficiency. If I need less engine noise and a fresh breeze at the helm, I can solve that with a climb of the ladder to the flybridge.

If my only choice of boating was to do it in a tube boat with tiny windows, an open cockpit and many yards of dacron to haul and control while zigzagging to my destination, I'd find another passion. Even bowling sounds like more fun than that!!

I've been onboard for 10 days so far and have remained anchored in a favorite spot for the last 4. My 3 doors and all hatches and ports are open. No bugs to speak of, no need for AC with temps into the high 50s at night. I'm sitting in the comfort of my salon watching the wildlife around me as I contemplate my dinghy trash run to the local marina less than a mile away. It's sometimes hard to tell when the outside world stops and the inside of the boat starts. That's what I need in a boat.

Here's a short video I made yesterday of my Secret Cove.

We are presently trying to sell our trawler type boat and get back into a sailboat. We lived aboard a sailboat for six years and spent half that time cruising. Full cockpit enclosure kept the weather at bay. Summers we either spent in a marina or somewhere cool like Maine. Our main gripe with the power boat is the noise and constant need to be looking for the next fuel dock. Yes, we did motor quite a bit but it was not anywhere near as noisy and our NMPG was a whole lot better.
Coming back from cruising we ended up in Clearwater, FL, and decided to head back to Galveston so we took off across the Gulf, can't do that in our current boat. Another time coming back we left out of Mobile Bay and headed back to Galveston, no ICW at all.
Besides that, a power boat is boring, there is nothing to do, set the throttles and go along for the ride, no sails to trim or change or constantly tweak.
Maybe it's just us,
Bob

I understand the appeal Bob. I miss sailing. However, I must admit that my power boat is much quieter than my sailboat under power, and as quiet as my sailboat in a moderate breeze.

I am a "fiddler". I love to fiddle with stuff. Sailing is great for that. So far, I have NOT been bored with the power boat. We'll see what happens over time.

Last edited:
I kinda feel sorry for those sailboaters we pass exposed to the elements while putt-putting along, having to work at every tack. It just looks like such hard work to go so slow in such little creature comfort. And when you go below, you're really below. Don't expect to look out the ports for a view. It ain't there.

Give me my 7.5 Kt pseudo-trawler at 3.2 gph and the ability to travel in straight lines in comfort, ease and efficiency. If I need less engine noise and a fresh breeze at the helm, I can solve that with a climb of the ladder to the flybridge.

If my only choice of boating was to do it in a tube boat with tiny windows, an open cockpit and many yards of dacron to haul and control while zigzagging to my destination, I'd find another passion. Even bowling sounds like more fun than that!!

I've been onboard for 10 days so far and have remained anchored in a favorite spot for the last 4. My 3 doors and all hatches and ports are open. No bugs to speak of, no need for AC with temps into the high 50s at night. I'm sitting in the comfort of my salon watching the wildlife around me as I contemplate my dinghy trash run to the local marina less than a mile away. It's sometimes hard to tell when the outside world stops and the inside of the boat starts. That's what I need in a boat.

Here's a short video I made yesterday of my Secret Cove.

Damn, you drive that dingy like a fighter pilot. ?. What engine do you have on that thing?

You make good points.

Last edited:
I understand the appeal Bob. I miss sailing. However, I must admit that my power boat is much quieter than my sailboat under power, and as quiet as my sailboat in a moderate breeze.

I am a "fiddler". I love to fiddle with stuff. Sailing is great for that. So far, I have been bored with the power boat. We'll see what happens over time.

You are already bored with your power boat?

The couple that I bought my trawler from had been long time sailors. They switched to power, he enjoyed it but his wife missed sailing. So, they sold the Monk to me and were buying another sailboat.

The couple we purchased our boat from were lifelong sailors, but when they turned 80 they couldn't handle a sailboat physically. So they purchased the Sabreline and boated another decade.

You are already bored with your power boat?

Typing error on my part. Corrected above. I have definitely not been bored yet. Very much the opposite. After spending 2 1/2 weeks on the boat during vacation, I can't wait to get out on the boat again and felt that way the first day back. :dance:

I didn't think you were bored. Figured that was a typo.

Damn, you drive that dingy like a fighter pilot. ?. What engine do you have on that thing?

It's a 2-stroke 15 HP Merc. Tops out at 20K, but is a comfortable 12-15K solo in most of these local waters. It's a whole lot more fun than the Honda 2HP.

I always hear about folks coming from sail over to the "darkside", but has anyone ever successfully done the reverse? Can one go from an air conditioned and heated pilothouse to an open cockpit and survive the change?

Sometimes I get bored cruising the ICW, and wonder if I would be happier fiddling with lines and tweaking sails (and getting wet). :eek: I've only sailed small boats like Hobie Cats and never a big boat, so of course I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Dude, not normally, but at times like now, when contemplating forking out at least 2 grand to just haul and antifoul, I think back to how low maintenance costs and stowage costs were back in my trailer yachting days. Then there was the added advantage of being able to tow our home away from home long distances quickly, without long coastal passages limiting where we could cruise, including opening up some lovely inland lakes.

Especially now there is a nice MacGregor 26 trailer yacht for sale right here at our marina, just to rub it in. Because thanks to the fact that model uses water ballast, so, it can not only be roomier than the yacht we had, but it is much lighter to trail, but then once in the water, one can either take on ballast and sail, or drop the water ballast and actually plane at 20kn, because of the much more powerful 50hp outboard they now use on these, compared to the 8hp ones we used to use.
The pic is our Gazelle 26 we had in NZ. The link is to a Macgregor.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-4055960/2007-MACGREGOR-26M?cr=2&psq=%28%28Make%3DMACGREGOR%26%28%28%28SiloType%3DDealer%20used%20boats%7CSiloType%3DDealer%20new%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DPrivate%20used%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%29%29%26Service%3DBoatsales%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

Then I think of the extra room, all mod cons the trawler cruiser provides, and the sheer convenience of step aboard and go, with no launching/retrieving, etc, and the yearning drops away again.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Interesting topic.
I believe I will be one of those guys who goes back to sail, from a Trawler. I actually have the sailboat in mind, the DD26, by Dudley Dix, which I will build with my own hands, and then sail her solo across the Pacific. That's the plan.

I miss the enhanced connection one has with the sea, that I feel is more pronounced with sailing. But for now, with serious passage making our primary goal, our present boat (Trawler) is the best choice.

Oh I could talk for hours on the subject, but when you asked if anyone will go back to sail - yup - you got your guy right here! :dance:

[currently lying Rarotonga]

Nemier, did you get to Aitutaki?

It's a 2-stroke 15 HP Merc. Tops out at 20K, but is a comfortable 12-15K solo in most of these local waters. It's a whole lot more fun than the Honda 2HP.

I have a 15hp Johnson 2 stroke on my 10' RIB, and it's feels about like that video.

The 2HP is definitely more sedate.

Forgot to mention it in my original post, but I feel much more secure with 6-8000 lbs of lead hanging below the boat when the sh*t hits the fan out on the big water.

Bob

Ya know, I just registered on this forum today because of the excellent information I got from Forklift's post about adjusting valves on an SP 135 Lehman. This is the first thread I've read, and gotta tell you all that I've been missing out on a great forum.

Eleven years ago I couldn't decide between buying a trawler or a sailboat. The sailboats just didn't have enough room, but since I was going to be living throughout the Caribbean, I wanted to realize my dream of sailing in the Caribbean. Then I ran across a Marine Trader IT40 Motorsailer and fell in love. Set up like a trawler inside with a helm in the cockpit and down below out of the weather. Lots of storage and high sides that make me feel safe. I also liked having a second means of propulsion which I have used on a few occasions including when we lost our gear and ended up sailing from Providenciales TCI to Puerto Rico. It is to me and my wife the best of both worlds. The sailing forums are not as open to motorsailers and the beauty of having a trawler that sails as you all seem to be on this forum. I'm posting from my phone, but I will load up pictures of our adventures here and our boat in a day or so, and thanks for making me feel welcome here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom