Anchoring long term PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can try the marina on Foss water way in Tacoma, The sound transit station is just a couple blocks away and the downtown area around the Uof W campus is getting to be a popular spot...

Not a bad suggestion. Downtown Racoma is kind of a nice spot now. The Sounder from Tacoma to Seattle is a good way to get to Seattle then I think you can good transit from the station to the U.

If you're looking for a liveaboard marina, check out Port Ludlow (where we liveaboard). Very quiet, safe and secure. And it's only 20-25 minutes by car to the Kingston ferry terminal. Here's the video cruising guide we made for Port Ludlow:

Pacific NW Boater - MARINAS - Port Ludlow

I did not realize you were in Tacoma. We bought our boat out of Port Ludlow. Just be aware of those rocks outside of Port Ludlow.:rofl:

Attachments

• dreamweaver_aground.jpg
    dreamweaver_aground.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 510
Tyee marina to the Tacoma Sounder sta. should be about 10 to15 min. However there are no services(food,fuel, etc.) close by. Decent marina though.

Kolive.
I searched for info on Quartermaster, but I could find only articles about how the State cleaned up the buoys and the Yacht Club. The YC requires Vashon residency for mooring. Guests can stay only for 4 days in their marina.
Is there another marina in Quartermaster?

amdavis

I called Tyee today and talked to a nice lady. It does sound promising, the price is reasonable, they can fit larger boats, free parking. No liveaboard now. Maybe next year, she said.

Ka_sea_ta

Is there parking or P&R near the Sounder station in Tacoma?

klee_wyck

You are making total sense and I have to agree with you. My interest in anchoring was hypothetical. Now I know lot more about the situation and I might just let it go. If it was free, yes, I would consider it. I am tough, tough, tough. Well, not that tough. But to save couple hundred bucks and go through the hassle, no, it is not worth it. Time is essence.

dhays

I just discovered that there is Water Taxi to downtown Seattle from the tip of Vashon. The ride is 22 minutes. If the distance is 5-6 miles from Quatermaster and the car can be parked somewhere, it could be a solution. From downtown, the light rail takes 15 minutes to the UW Station.
Now, all we need is info on mooring slips in Quatermaster. No anchoring, regular slips. I hope there is some type of marina there for non-residents?

Traps can be a nuisance but they are usually not too bad. The buoys are visible with their red/white floats.

Call Scotty @ 206-463-3624 or 203-919-2318

8-4:30 I believe are his hours. He is the contact at the marina and can give you moorage info.

Yeah, that is mine. It was shortly after the PO got his boat and found the rocks outside of Port Ludlow at high tide.

Probably the most photographed North Pacific in existence....:thumb::thumb::thumb:
If I recall there was a similar picture of a Nordhaven high and dry on a rock, they used it in an ad to show how tough their boat was built...

I called Bremerton and they have slips available. Free car parking, free wifi, free pumping. However, the liveaboard waiting list is very long. So, only mooring there. Port Orchard is the same. A bit cheaper, but liveaboard is a long wait. Minimum insurance is 300K and P. Bremerton has to be on the policy a beneficiary. No discount on the ferry... lol

I called Bremerton and they have slips available. Free car parking, free wifi, free pumping. However, the liveaboard waiting list is very long. So, only mooring there. Port Orchard is the same. A bit cheaper, but liveaboard is a long wait. Minimum insurance is 300K and P. Bremerton has to be on the policy a beneficiary. No discount on the ferry... lol

Any marina that I know of in the PNW requires that the marina be named in the policy in some manner.

There is a built in discount on the ferry's, its called a taxpayer subsidy. Everyone that lives in WA pays for the ferry's whether they use them or not.

Back
Top Bottom