If anyone is considerin a fixer upper 34' Californian check this one out..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
looks like she has some fire damage and may need new machines but i am sure you can also pick her up at a bargain low price..

F_9003_143115.JPG

listing here:
http://usauctions.com/9003-1978-34ft-californian-sedan-trawler.aspx

it could be a lot of fun to take on a project like this one..

ah, this would be why the guy who inspected my halon fire suppression system in my engine room recommended I add the automatic engine shut offs.* Yikes.

i almost bought it, she went for $4800 on the auction.
i could have done that just for spare parts / propellers etc.

I think an auction company has her listed back on EBay right now.
Bill

Good day all,
New member here, and now the proud owner of this vessel! I have a technicla question for any of the floks that have a similar 34, it appears from the pics attached to this auction that the flybridge coaming is attached after production, and if so would be removable for overland shipping. Can anyone confirm this? I know it is not a simple task, but one that could be accomplished if adressed methodically. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

wescoaster wrote:

Good day all,
New member here, and now the proud owner of this vessel! I have a technicla question for any of the floks that have a similar 34, it appears from the pics attached to this auction that the flybridge coaming is attached after production, and if so would be removable for overland shipping. Can anyone confirm this? I know it is not a simple task, but one that could be accomplished if adressed methodically. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!
********* Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the forum..* The Californians have a good following here, and I am sure they will chime in soon.

********* Not sure about your flybridge, but if they put it on I imagine you can take it off.

********* Good Luck, and keep posting.*** JohnP

Congratulatons, I too just recently became the proud owner of a 34 LRC. I am limited in my experience to two days on the boat so far. I did spend some time on the flybridge on my two day trip from Nashville to Kentucky Lake. I know my boat was trucked from Lake Erie to Tennessee in the late 90's. The flybridge was removed for shipping, It looked like a pretty straight forward job. there are removable panels on the inside of the flybridge Coaming that I'm sure hide the bolts that hold it together. I didn't bite on a project like you did, but I have little doubt that there was big money to be saved by taking it on. The key in my mind to pulling offf the super deal would be the availability of the place to park it while the restoration takes place, and the expertise to pull it off. In my case, I had the later but not the former. Good luck in your projeect, keep us informed how it is coming along.

Thanks for the support!

I have built boats for the past 13 years, and messed around with them for a lot longer than that!
biggrin.gif

I saw this boat up for auction a while back and almost bit, when I saw it this time around I decided if I could get it for less than $2000, it would be worth the investment. The move itself from Orange County to Vancouver, BC Canada is pretty straight forward, straight up I-5 for the most part.

As I work in a boat yard, I can get a reasonably favorable rate on work space as well as the good fortune to have access to necessary support resources.

Desolation Sound by September or bust!!

Greetings...

Good timing with your question, as I too am the new owner of a C-34 with a trucking issue.* The boat is currently in the Bahamas.* The plan is to move her on her hull to the east coast of Florida and then truck her here to Houston where I can do the restoration.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of price have you gotten for the move?* I think the distances would be comparable between our moves.* I've gotten estimates of $5500-7500, with the fly staying on.* Has anyone trucked one with the fly still attached?* As best I can calculate, she's about 15'2" out of the water with the fly on.*

Any inputs would be mucho appreciated!* Thanks!

Cheers,

Bren

I have yet to get a price, but will let you know once I do. I know the factory spec sheet lists the height at 15' even, so your estimate is fairly close. I would think as a minimum that you would need to remove the plexi venturi, as highway speed would do a number on it quite quickly.

Well, looks like she may be coming to Texas on her hull afterall... my shipper says that Florida will not give a permit unless the flybridge is removed.* I don't think it's worth all of the trouble to do so...

The kicker is that once the work is done, I'll be taking her right back to the Bahamas, where she'll live permanently!

Cheers,

Bren

Food for thought, Mr. FlyWright so graciously provided PDF's of a boat test, specs, and option sheet elsewhere in the Californian Forum. From that Bridge clearance is listed as 10' 8". Draft is shown as 3' 2". That totals 13' 10". That is probably is too tall to haul with road clearance added, but not much. If you remove the venturi windscreen you would gain maybe 5". If you plan to pull the engines as part of your rebuild, pulling the shafts, struts and rudders would also gain several inches, That would allow the aft section of the hull (behind the keel) to set on top of the trailer axle. You would probably need a hydraulic trailer to optimize height.
That been said, and this is from memory and not much time, but it didn't look like a big job to pull the flybridge.

Agreed Cap!

I know there is no way I can get this shipped without at least one trip to LA prior to loading. The bimini has to come off, as well as the venturi. I know I could get that done by the marina it sits at presently for less than the cost of a return ticket to Vancouver, BC, but I would prefer doing it myself so that I know how it goes back together. While I was at it, I thought I would pull the flybridge as well in order to gain maximum road clearance, thus assuring as minimal a shipping cost as possible.

I hadn't considered pulling the shafts and rudders, but that too makes sense. The lower I can sit it on the trailer over all, the less potential for problems. I have sent quote requests to the two movers recommended to me by a local mover we use at work, but have yet to get a response.

Cheers!

Bob

i am stoked to see you bought this boat, did you find the boat through this post or otherwise?

actually i almost bought this boat myself, i live in long beach and went to inspect it last friday, day before end of auction.

my (our) conclusion was that since i have a full time career, a wife and two kids, a boat, several cars and motorcycle and love playing golf and tennis, one project like this boat was not in my cards and actually once i made the decision not to buy/bid i was very relieved.

but i really thought the boat looked pretty good, i mean for the price..
one item i was really interested in is the ideal windlass, so if you are looking to get rid of that please let me know.

other than that, congrats on her and let us know how the restoration comes along.

Actually, I had seen this boat up for auction some time ago and was on the fence as to bid or not bid. I must admit that when I saw it this time around, I was a little impulsive. I had fully anticipated shipping costs to be in the $5000.00 range, I have received one quote so far that is in excess of 7000.00. That has put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm, but I will work around it as necessary.

As you have actually been on the boat, I'd sure like to pick your brain a bit on your observations. The structural burn damage appears very minimal in the photos, with primarily a lot of fire extinguisher residue and soot/smoke damage through out the under floor area. The structural is really my only major concern, but even that is not overly disconcerting unless it is significantly worse than indicated.

As for the anchor windlass, I think I'll hang on to that......
wink.gif

Cheers!

wescoaster wrote:
Actually, I had seen this boat up for auction some time ago and was on the fence as to bid or not bid. I must admit that when I saw it this time around, I was a little impulsive. I had fully anticipated shipping costs to be in the $5000.00 range, I have received one quote so far that is in excess of 7000.00. That has put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm, but I will work around it as necessary.

As you have actually been on the boat, I'd sure like to pick your brain a bit on your observations. The structural burn damage appears very minimal in the photos, with primarily a lot of fire extinguisher residue and soot/smoke damage through out the under floor area. The structural is really my only major concern, but even that is not overly disconcerting unless it is significantly worse than indicated.

As for the anchor windlass, I think I'll hang on to that......
wink.gif

Cheers!

*the main issue is the chemical fire retardent which the CG douched on the fire, it is very very corrosive on metal..

*the ER looks fine structurally, but my guess is that she needs two new engines. the living quarters look in pretty good shape, the FB is in really good shape.has a really nice new norcol fridge with freezer.

it seems the boat was used as a sportfisher so it has some wear and tear.

i was not interested in the anchor windlass but the dinghy windlass. if you have only seen photos then its difficult to see but there is a dinghy windlass/hoist on the port sundeck...

btw, i am in transportation and may be able to help you out, contact me on PM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom