Stabilizer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I'm in contract on a 2000 Defever 44 and it looks like something is missing just forward of the stabilizer wings but I can't figure out what it is. The surveyor suggests it was a line cutter but I can't find a picture of one. Oddly they appear to have been glued on rather than bolted. Ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471323350.965486.jpg

Could be a line or kelp cutter. This is what mine looks like.

Yes, it would have been some kind of fitting to prevent kelp or lines jamming between the fin and the hull. But from your photo it seems to have been a somewhat bulky appendage that may well have caused a lot of drag.

Probably a deflector. Here is a photo of mine at survey haul out.

Attachments

• P1000172.JPG
    P1000172.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 78
Are they missing on both sides of the hull??
If so, suggests they saw some action!!!
Also, that adhesive is not the way to go!!
These should be bolted on if they are to survive.
Ours were thin steel triangles fixed fore/aft just in front of the Naiads.
Intent was simply to stop something catching on the stabilizer shaft.

I talked to Stabilized Marine about these. His view is they will only work when the fin is directly behind the deflector.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

I talked to Stabilized Marine about these. His view is they will only work when the fin is directly behind the deflector.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Strange comment. The stabilizer pin is ALWAYS right behind the deflector - the pin does not move?

Strange comment. The stabilizer pin is ALWAYS right behind the deflector - the pin does not move?

Yes but when the fin is off center it's easier for any line to pop off the deflector and catch on the fin shaft.

Personally I can't remember any of the boats I've run with fins having deflectors. And I never had issues with lines or junk catching on the shafts.

If a boat comes with deflectors great. But I wouldn't even remotely call them necessary to have.

And yes I've run boats with find but without deflectors in Maine and other areas with lots of traps and such to get fouled on.

Are they missing on both sides of the hull??
If so, suggests they saw some action!!!
Also, that adhesive is not the way to go!!
These should be bolted on if they are to survive.
Ours were thin steel triangles fixed fore/aft just in front of the Naiads.
Intent was simply to stop something catching on the stabilizer shaft.

Properly mounted using the proper adhesive there should be no issues with deflectors falling or being knocked off.

In fact if they were to hit something that solid I'd rather have them pop or break off than perhaps pull out taking the bolts with them and leaving holes in the boat.

Deflectors don't really need to be totally bullet proof.

Here's the same thing on a set of pneumatic fin stabilizers recently mounted on a KK Manatee.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 169
I'm in contract on a 2000 Defever 44 and it looks like something is missing just forward of the stabilizer wings but I can't figure out what it is. The surveyor suggests it was a line cutter but I can't find a picture of one. Oddly they appear to have been glued on rather than bolted. Ideas?

So, if they're missing on both sides, as your note implies, they were probably deflectors, as everyone has suggested. If it's only on one side, I have a sintered bronze grounding plate (actually two butted together) with a similar footprint on my 44, not far from the stabilizer wing. But they're through-bolted.

Good luck with your contract.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 63
From the photo it looks as though the "bare" area is actually inset into the hull by about 1/4 inch or so. Do not understand why deflector would not just be surface mounted.

Could be the original gelcoat with multiple coats of paints on top.

Off topic, but why is the strainer sitting proud of the hull?

Could be a sea chest strainer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 159
Could be a sea chest strainer.

Don't think it's a strainer. If you look closely it appears to have clearance between the hull and the device. Maybe some type of cooler plate?

All, thanks so much for the input, love this forum. Where do I get replacements?

Thinking they probably were both pulled off at survey haul out.

Yes the grate is the bottom of the sea chest, not sure why it is proud, Angus, does yours sit out or is it flush?

It has washers or spacers holding it slightly off the hull and I've never understood why. (Those holes are where the new through hulls are) :D

Thanks for reminding me I need to install some deflectors before she goes back in the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 140

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom