Grand Banks 32 Trucking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldersalt

Vessel Name
Pacific Star
Vessel Make
1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
I'm pretty close to closing on a 1977 GB 32. I need to truck it from Anacortes, WA to Alameda, CA, and I have some questions...

1. height? Anyone know the actual total height of the boat from bottom of keel to top of flybridge rail (windshield, compass, etc removed)?

2. on the flybridge, the bench seat tops extend above the top of the flybridge rail, and, when everything else is removed, may still be too high. Are the seat backs, or the whole seat, removable (hopefully without use of a skillsaw!).

3. Thoughts/experience with trucking companies? I have talked to Dudley and Associated, but does anyone have any other companies to suggest?

Thanks!
Oldersalt

A GB32 is one of the few GB that can be trucked without removing stuff. Check with the GB Owners group at Grand Banks Owner's Resources. Those folks know all about moving 32s and have opinions on companies to call.

The flybridge is removable but it is a big undertaking. The seat backs are attached to the sides of the flybridge with copper nails that are set and epoxied over, the seat bases are screwed through the sides into fiddles on the top of the house.

With the windscreen, controls and gauge cluster removed you may be able to ship via the right kind of truck. I'll try to find where I put all of the measurements for overall height.

Bob

This should help.

Attachments

• Graving Plan.png
    Graving Plan.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 623
Bob Cofer,

Thanks for the graving drawing, but I'm afraid that, even when enlarged, the numbers on the drawing are unreadable!

Can you send a higher-res drawing to me directly at mbennett (at) astrosociety.org?

If not, can you just post the number for the total height?

Thanks, this is great info.

Mike B.
(oldersalt)

Don't mean to nag, but if you go to the GB site above they have a section called "Manuals". You'll find the info you're looking for there. However, Bob Cofer is a good source...he has the t-shirt!

If you talk to Dudley, make sure it's a Dudley truck and your contract is with Dudley. Sailing Anarchy just had a long thread where Dudley sent an independent truck. Who then went missing and required the owner spend a large amount on fixing the truck, fueling it and other horror stories. Dudley disclaimed responsibility. Quite the cluster.

You are missing the boat.
Just say Yes to a really fun trip down the West Coast. Perfect time of year.
An experience you will never forget with plenty of stories to tell.
We did it and it was great fun. Have friends join you along the way.

Didn't Buy the Boat

Thanks for the excellent advice and thoughts, but we ended up not buying the boat!
Oldersalt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom