Fingers in the winch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"ferry on the port bow about to cross our wake"?:confused:

The ferry was about a hundred meters off, and normally we would give way, being a ferry. However as there was no one on the helm we were steaming along on our original course forcing the ferry to alter course, and I think speed, to fall behind us. :blush:

When I was in a motorsport club we had an ambulance paramedic give a talk on first aid at a regular meeting. We did the same at a small boating club where I`m a member, the paramedic was also a member, he works as a paramedic trainer for the ambulance service. (His sideline of selling defibrillators took up much of the talk). Both events were very worthwhile.
Andy, perhaps you could prevail on RMYC to hold a first aid instruction night? (Beats another "Eagles" revival concert.)
When I used to race sailboats the boat had an annual safety inspection requiring a first kit with specified items. I`m fortunate my partner has a first aid certificate and knows the basics, but in this area, too much knowledge is never enough (as HG Nelson might say).

I feel a little less alone and embarrassed now. I did the exact same thing two years ago, accidentally stepped on the switch while holding the chain. I think I mentioned it here at the time. Cost me a good deal of blood and a few broken fingers. Fortunately I was at the dock but unfortunately was in the USA so we were on our own for medical attention. I straightened the fingers myself and the wife stuck the wounds together with wound adhesive. It took a long time and they are now slightly crooked but I have full use of the fingers again. We now have a rule that the master switch is to be turned off at all times.

Since this seems to happen more frequently than I would have thought, I am going to be more diligent about being careful. My foot switches are those that have covers that you have to flip up to use. In the past I have turned on the power, gone to the bow and flipped up the covers and left them up while anchoring. From now on, I will try to flip them up only when actually raising or lowering the anchor, then immediately flipping them back down. It will mean a lot more bending over, something my back doesn't like, but that is better than accidentally mangling my fingers. I still need to work, and couldn't do it without them.

If I can add one thing...

Our rule is that if you're at a dock of a marina with a medical emergency, instead of issuing a Mayday, call 911 immediately. Every EMS/Fire system in the US will have the marina layout known in their command procedures so even telling them that you're in slip J-11 will often be good. And again also, make a lot of sound. You never know if the boat next to you has a retired ER nurse aboard who knows what to do in an emergency.

I have seen 911 responses to marinas in minutes.

It is often a half hour or more for any marine response. Sometime due to distance, often due to turf war or lack of 911 type response between agencies/communities.

If not even at the dock...but a few minutes away from one...better 911 than Mayday unless you are broke down, anchored or you may think there is so much boat traffic around that some vessel might respond with a highly trained and equipped crew onboard. But my vote in towns with paid or volunteer EMS, is still 911.

Andy, perhaps you could prevail on RMYC to hold a first aid instruction night? (Beats another "Eagles" revival concert.)

Good idea.

Yes, all these revival concerts are a bit so so, I am a Leonard Cohen man myself.To see him sing in the Hunter Valley(wine region north of Sydney) under the stars with a glass of good crisp Pouilly Fume in my hand (preferably with all fingers attached) is my own idea of heaven.. :rolleyes:

This thread makes me quite glad my only winch switches are at the helms, with no foot switches. I often lift the chain out of the gypsy to do stuff to or around my anchor/chain assembly, and always it is when I am alone down there. It has often crossed my mind I'm glad no-one can trip the switch while I'm doing it. Not having a foot switch near the bow has never been a problem either.

Back
Top Bottom