Upper Deck Capacity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herbpeddler

Vessel Make
1983 Ocean Alexander Mark 1 - 50'
I have looked online and haven't been able to locate the answer to how many people I can safely have on the top deck of our 50' Ocean Alexander Mark 1 Pilothouse. It's the biggest outside area we have, and we have a teak table and chairs up there, so I'm expecting that to be the main 'gathering place,' but I want to restrict it to a safe number. We don't usually have a crowd, but will be taking a few out for a birthday cruise next week. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. We're new to all this, and so glad we ignored the naysayers. We have found the secret to happiness, and it's name is boat!

I'd be concerned about weight. People come in a wide range of weights.

Perhaps the number of fixed seating positions would be a start.

Last edited:
The concern is more about live load then dead weight. Unlike a table or dinghy people have a tendency to move about freely rather than remain strapped down in position. I've been aboard markpierce's 35'er with over a dozen people but that was tied to a dock and distributed equally about the boat.

I'd be leery of having that many folks aboard your boat away from the dock until you and your significant other has at least a year or more experience handling what sounds like a new to you boat. The real answer goes way beyond simple arithmetic and external conditions can radically change the answer.

I have looked online and haven't been able to locate the answer to how many people I can safely have on the top deck of our 50' Ocean Alexander Mark 1 Pilothouse. It's the biggest outside area we have, and we have a teak table and chairs up there, so I'm expecting that to be the main 'gathering place,' but I want to restrict it to a safe number. We don't usually have a crowd, but will be taking a few out for a birthday cruise next week. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. We're new to all this, and so glad we ignored the naysayers. We have found the secret to happiness, and it's name is boat!

A few folks should not be a problem on the deck of a 50' boat. However, if you had a dozen folks on the deck and suddenly decided to go to on pe side to look at something, and that side happens to be on same side as the completely full fuel tank, and you just happens to catch a very large wake from a large cruiser on the other side that just decides to get up on a plane... you get the idea. It would take a lot of folks and a an unfortunate set of circumstances before it would be a problem.

Your biggest concern with folks on your upper deck will be making sure you have enough accessible PFDs for them all, making sure than the weather is calm enough to have gusts safely on the upper deck, and that no one drinks too much alcohol so they don't simply fall overboard.

A friend has an OA Mark 1 50'. His upper deck is not large enough to accommodate more folks than a safe number. If you have reduced the available space my putting a big table up top, you will accommodate even fewer.
If you want to be sure of your load limit, add bodies one at a time, all on one side and observe how much the boat heels. If it gets so you are nervous about the degree of heeling, you have your limit.

A naval architect could calculate it for you.

The ideas posited above saying, 'try a few more until...' and 'learn the boat to determine its stability', are problematical since I don't think the boat's behavior would give you much warning. Especially high off the water, and with a crowd's propensity to gather along one edge for a view.

A quick Google search brought me this: http://www.gerrmarine.com/Articles/PowerboatStability.pdf

I worry about having a bit of extra weight up top on mine.
Then I saw her bigger sister and figured scaled back I have nothing to be to concerned about.

e54baffe-a1e7-4fb7-a951-9a49d12fda8f.jpg

My boat has a sticker at the top of the stairs that lead to the fly bridge that says the maximum safe load when underway is 1500lbs. There is seating on the bridge for 12 people.

FYI, my boat weighs about 60,000 with some fuel and water, and has a beam of 15' 6". We've been out on the river with much more weight than that but I make sure it stays evenly distributed side-to-side.
img_469654_0_62aa1a25cc8a7e5df3a9f7100ae36a0c.jpg

At the dock, I'd be ok with up to 12. However, underway, my maximum would be 8, all seated, and fewer if I don't have seats for 8.

Just get everyone to run back and forth from side to side. Start with 2 people and work your way up. When the boat gets to rocking you'll know your limit.

Actually, when the roll terminates in a hang before promptly starting back upright is usually the limit.

Like most limits, know it and back off a safey margin.

I believe that boat is set up for a cruising couple with occasional guests?

Having many people on board negates the value of/reason for the boat to me! :)

The Krogen 42 has a design limit of 750 lbs on the top deck, people and equipment. Per Krogen Yachts in 2000. After this the stability is reduced. Don't know by how much or how fast.

Underway in any seas other than flat we limit the number of people to two. Flat seas four.

At anchor on a calm day we throw caution to the wind.

Last edited:
While in the slip simply have the guests move to one side.

When 1/2 the free board is gone on that side , you are loaded .

Freeboard is from the WL to the first opening port, that doesnt have a secured metal shutter.

Sorta how the Coasties measure but quicker.

Coach roofs are built light so 20 folks at 200lbs each might be a structural problem , not a stability issue.

Ship stability is an interesting, though sometimes confusing topic. Here is a link to a USCG booklet on fishing boat stability. Pretty much everything would apply to a pleasure power boat.

https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cgcvc/cvc3/references/Stability_Reference_Guide.pdf

It may be more information than many are interested in, but it is good to have a basic understanding of the effects of design, loading, on board liquids, wind, and possible damage have on a boats ability to right itself.

Many Thanks!

That's a lot of great information! I'm learning so much on these forums. My concern was really with the weight and structural issues as opposed to stability, but it's great to understand those issues as well. We are having a total of about 8 people on the boat that day, and since the table is up top and it is the nicest/biggest area to hang out once anchored, I was wondering how to restrict it so the roof didn't cave in. :eek: Thought there might be a simple formula, i.e., so many pounds per square feet or something. :Thanx:

I was wondering how to restrict it so the roof didn't cave in. :eek: Thought there might be a simple formula, i.e., so many pounds per square feet or something. :Thanx:

I would guess structurally there would be little issue since the designers should have taken weight into consideration in the construction of the flybridge. The same with stability. But people are bigger now. A discrete way to limit the passengers up there would be to use some large tables or other items that would take up some square footage. And put the beer cooler on the main deck.

Here's the formula to calculate what our state allows.

For boats fitted with flybridge the formula for total boat capacity is:

maximum capacity (adults) = 0.6L√B (nearest whole number)
where L = length of boat in metres and B = breadth of boat in metres.

For flybridge boats, no more than one-quarter of the maximum number of passengers allowed on board should be on the flybridge at any one time.

I wouldn't worry about it from a structural point of view, unless you have spongy decks damaged by water ingression. You will be at risk due to stability long before the deck collapses.

For flybridge boats, no more than one-quarter of the maximum number of passengers allowed on board should be on the flybridge at any one time.

I wouldn't worry about it from a structural point of view, unless you have spongy decks damaged by water ingression. You will be at risk due to stability long before the deck collapses.

That would give you approximately 8 people on his flybridge.

All the people in the flying bridge can distract the helmsman. Draft them all as lookouts! If they're not competent in that role, they belong in the saloon. Better to party at anchor or at berth.

Last edited:
Or let them party on the flying bridge and command the boat from the main deck. The helmsman isn't helped by social distractions.

Seems like draft, displacement and ballast should enter into this formula somehow. A lot of boats like mine carry dinghies that weigh more than the maximum number of people I'd be allowed aloft. That's assuming I got the math right ?

Why not take the guesswork out of it. There is a formula here...

sa.gov.au - Boat capacity

One quarter of your boat’s total capacity can be on the flybridge at any one time. For example, if the boat’s total safe capacity is 12 persons, the flybridge capacity will be three and main deck capacity nine.
When labeling a boat with a flybridge, ensure the label on the main deck shows only the main deck capacity and the label on the flybridge shows only the flybridge capacity. Both capacities added together represent the boat’s overall safe persons capacity.
The table above covers boats up to 15 metres in length. If your boat is longer than 15 metres, a conservative capacity estimate can be obtained using the formula:
Safe persons capacity = 0.6 x length x √beam

Sorry, Auscan and BandB, I didn't see your posts until too late.
:)

Last edited:

In Queensland the same formula is used and determines the numbers displayed on a mandatory capacity label at each helm. For my Mk 1 it works out as 20 people total with no more than 5 on the flybridge/upper deck.

And its for "Smooth Waters Only", a defined term which basically means close to shore. The label also states that numbers MUST be reduced in adverse weather conditions or if you go beyond smooth waters. It might be conservative, but its the law here and ignoring it would get you in really deep poo if anything went wrong.

In NSW I assume the law is different as Ross Walden advertises a carrying capacity of 30 for Blue Eyes II, a Mk 1 that operates commercial cruises in Sydney Harbour. His capacity is for 'enclosed water'. I can't imagine having 32 on board, he must remove all the salon furniture to do that. Not sure if he limits how many on the Upper deck, but imagine he would have to.

Test heel angle at the dock with increasing numbers going to one of the outer rails.

Last edited:
Test heel angle at the dock with increasing numbers going to one of the outer rails.

Or, you can call Capt. Bubba and have save the trouble of collecting a group of people to perform the test.

Attachments

• Capt. Bubba.jpg
    Capt. Bubba.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 141
Or, you can call Capt. Bubba and have save the trouble of collecting a group of people to perform the test.

Hey...like the power assurance team...:thumb:

Anytime certain engine work was performed on the USCG helos, there was a requirement to pull full power without getting airborne.

The maintenance manuals called for sandbags, but that took too long.

They would just get on the loud speaker system and say "power assurance team lay to 65xx helo"....all these huge crewmen would jump in the back and they would finish the test.

Capt Bubba would be a 5 star member of the team...but might get in trouble during the annual fitness test...:D

My boat has a sticker at the top of the stairs that lead to the fly bridge that says the maximum safe load when underway is 1500lbs. There is seating on the bridge for 12 people.

Ha ha! Mine has a plaque too....450 lbs (about 2 large people) No parties on my bridge!

Here is an example of what can go terribly wrong when too many people are loaded too high on a ship. The Eastland was built just a few miles from where I now sit. It went on to infamy as the greatest disaster on the Great Lakes (while tied to the dock!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom