Head/Shower renovation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
Has anyone done it?* Skinny Dippin's head/shower walls are some sort of formica, shiney old yellowed material.* It's not......attractive.* I'd like to either replace the walls, or simply paint them...if it's even possible.* Has anyone updated their head walls and how did you do it?*

Thanks!!

-- Edited by Besslb on Sunday 20th of March 2011 08:03:47 PM

Bess, you might consider tiling it. That's what we did, and it looks pretty good.* If the formica is well stuck down, then it can provide the necessary substrate, but a tile man can give you a better and more informed opinion.

Formica can simply be glued on to old Formica, for this decades color

Not a fan of covering the old with new. The problem is that there is teak trim and moldings. Many of the edges and corners are under the trim and sealed with silicone. Especially where the wall meets the shower pan. Would rather paint.

I was in Homedepot the other day and saw some laminate counter refinshing paint.

Might work to spruce up your shower, without doing a big project!

JohnP

painting formica is tricky. Another option could be to use a dremel or multi-max tool to cut out the old formica and then put new substrate and finish on the walls.

Woodsong wrote:

painting formica is tricky. Another option could be to use a dremel or multi-max tool to cut out the old formica and then put new substrate and finish on the walls.
********* Somebody wants to do it right.* Tony sounds like you are itching for a project!

**********JohnP

Woodsong wrote:

Yikes!

JohnP wrote:
Woodsong wrote:

********* Somebody wants to do it right.* Tony sounds like you are itching for a project!

**********JohnP

haha- I've got enough boat projects already!! *
biggrin.gif

If you sand and prep the Formica paint will stick to it.* A small wire wheel on a drill with get most of the silicone* off followed by a Dremel for the close detail.* I would use a marine primer and paint as bath rooms and shower tend to have standing water.* If you do not like it then try something else.* I did your shower/bath with one part Brightside tan about 10+ years ago and it still looks OK, but needs a refresh coat.

Paint will stick to Formica , a wash with TSP , and a 220 sanding is usually enough for a good primer to stick.

Even with roll and tip it will never be as smooth as stock formica.

Back
Top Bottom