Replacement window tint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarryP

Vessel Name
Mango Mama
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36
We are considering replacing the existing windows on our Krogen Manatee. The original windows don't seal well and no wonder. After I removed the inside trim ring, the gap around the frame is big enough to stick my finger in and I can see daylight through the thin caulk trying to seal the outside.

I'm thinking of using Wynne Inc *at*http://www.wynneinc.com*. They offer a few choices for tint but don't supply much information about it. The existing windows seem to have a light gray tint. I'm wondering if Solar Bronze or Solar Gray would be helpful. Would it change the view noticeably?

Anybody have any recommendations?

-- Edited by GarryP on Sunday 20th of March 2011 06:58:30 PM

GarryP, can't help with the glass tint except to say that grey will give more true colors.* Please catch us up on your getting the boat ready and how the work at Snead Island Boat Works went.

Garryp
I had wynne windows on a boat that I owned until 1991. They were good quality, several opened and I would be happy to have them again. Mine were tinted very dark grey (south Fl.). You couldn,t see into the boat from outside ,during the day. At night it was like you were on "TV" . If you do a lot of running at night, they are a little darker, not a problem- just be aware.

Dark windows will add a bunch to the boats inside heat load.

The dark color absorbs the heat and glass is a great conductor , so the heat is transferred to inside the boat.

Stick on , and removable would be my choice , so you can put the color on in the North where the heat is good , and remove the covering in the warmer areas.

You might try mirrored stick on , to see how that works.

Don - I'll give you an update in another thread.

This boat will be exclusively in south Florida and the Bahamas. If we did go north it would be in the summer.

Our goals are to reduce heat and UV while maintaining a clear view. i imagine there are many variations in window tiniting and solar reflective film.

Here's a pic of one of the gaps around our window frames. The new frames will be slightly larger so the flanges are more securely bonded and sealed to the cabin sides. Note the smudge shows the inner trim ring (same dimensions as the outer flange) barely covers the opening.
133320229.jpg

-- Edited by GarryP on Monday 21st of March 2011 07:22:40 AM

When I replaced the windows on our Willard,I purchased the windows from Diamond Sea Glaze as they were our closest supplier to Alaska. We used (I Believe) a 10% tint and have been very happy with the color. As stated on an earlier post they reduce the view into the boat from the out side and really seem to enhance the view from inside of the salon. The pilot house windows are clear.*When I had the windows built I supplied the glass provider with full size templates of my openings. I had to enlarge the new openings to allow for a different radius on the new window corners. I sealed the windows with 3M 4200 and have been totally pleased with the results. Not a single leak! Even after several frozen Alaskan winters and very damp summers. I had to bring the boat south to Puget Sound to dry her out.*

Rob
"Lady Anne" Willard 40 PH
La Conner, WA/Girdwood, AK

We had the same iszsue with heat on the inside with tint. The inside of the window during the summer was to ho0t to touch. About 140* degrees. We found this solution instead.*70% Transparent and it is on the outside. From the inside it is easy to see out. Phifertex, not expensive and even keeps the bugs out.

Attachments

• photo (17).jpg
    photo (17).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 104
  • photo (15).jpg
    photo (15).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 110
  • photo (15).jpg
    photo (15).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 96
Sorry miss typed it is 70% opaque only 30% transparent.

THE RV folks have many products to darken the inside and keep the heat out.

Exterior covers also work well for the dock bound in creating privacy at night , with out claustrophobic blinds , shades or curtains.

I had what appeared to be a crack in one window. I finally determined that the crack was in the tinting film not the window. Big difference. One of our marina neighbors (and friend) is in the window tinting business. I took the film off, he took it to his shop and matched it, and replaced it for me. No charge!

GOOF OFF (from Home Cheapo) will get rid of old stuck on film , with no damage .

We leave them on even the bow covers except or at night. We like the way they work much better then the tint that was there. Windows are cool.

Back
Top Bottom