Average hours for rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MERIDIAN 2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
ARIE
Vessel Make
2000 43ft SELENE/SOLO
Just curious, I am looking at a boat with a 100hp Westerbeke diesel. Is there an average time before rebuild is necessary? This boat has 3800 hours on it.:confused:

Don't want to rebuild....just looking at the possibilities of WHEN I might have to. Thus the question on average hours to rebuild time.

500hrs with no maintenance and improperly run.
8,000 - 9000hrs with excellent maintenance and properly run.

get a separate engine survey as part of the purchase. the WB 100 hp is pretty simple.

500hrs with no maintenance and improperly run.
8,000 - 9000hrs with excellent maintenance and properly run.

I agree. Not sure that any average number would really be that meaningful. It all depends on the level of maintenance and how it was used. If a survey on the engine and oil analysis come out well, the engine will likely last longer than you will own the boat provided you maintain and use it well.

We have 8400 hrs on our Ford Lehamn SP-135 and the oil analysis is within spec. We shouldn't be looking at a rebuild for another 4-5000 plus hrs.

We had a Perkins 4-108 that at 5200 hours needed to be rebuilt because of a valve/valve seat.

Some engines have a longer run history between rebuilds than others but at 3800 hours with average maintenance you should be good for a while. An oil analysis with a good mechanical survey should at least give you a go or no go.

Engine hours are less a concern than how many gallons of fuel have gone thry.

Usually a displacement boat at 5-8K drinks little fuel and if not killed will last almost forever in a rec boat.

A sport fish frequently will be delighted to get 1000 hours out of his motor , but it may have been operating at 15 times the GPH underway.

Slow boat engines get killed , seldom worn out.

Engine hours are less a concern than how many gallons of fuel have gone thry.

Usually a displacement boat at 5-8K drinks little fuel and if not killed will last almost forever in a rec boat.

A sport fish frequently will be delighted to get 1000 hours out of his motor , but it may have been operating at 15 times the GPH underway.

Slow boat engines get killed , seldom worn out.

I completely agree that total gallons consumed is a better measure than engine hours. But more important, at least collectively, is total age of engine, frequency of use (old engines infrequently used being very bad for remaining life), maintenance (particularly oil changes and cooling system), and how hard the engine is run. The last is obviously correlated to fuel consumption, but I believe 100 gallons of moderate (say 60%) load is less destructive than the same 100 gallons of 90% load, even though the moderate load may have been applied for 3x as long.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom