View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBunz View Post
I have a Camano with square two bulb fixtures in the salon, kitchen and head. I was in the process of switching all my bulbs over to LEDs. I came across this weird issue with the kitchen and "head" lights. The salon, kitchen and head all take 1156 bulbs. I started in the salon and replaced those bulbs. Worked great and brighter than the original bulbs. Did the kitchen and no go. Same for the head. Verified the LEDs work by using the working LEDs from the salon. Test light shows socket is OK. Pull the fixture down and wiring looks OK. Head scratcher but ran out of time and left the old bulbs in the kitchen and head fixture.

I ordered the festoon bulbs for the nav lights and notice in one of the reviews it says if the bulbs don't work in one orientation to turn them over and re-insert. Well you can't do that for the 1156 bulbs but the next time down down to the boat I take the fixture down and use jumpers to test the circuit in the reverse orientation - BINGO - the circuit was backwards to the LED. I rewired the fixtures and working LEDs. I didn't bother with a ohm meter but suspect the wiring was mixed somewhere along the circuit as most 12 volt devices don't care.

//Rick
It's not uncommon on a boat to find the light fixtures wired "backwards". Incandescent lamps will work fine in either orientation. Reverse the wires at the fixture and you'll be fine.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote