Fingers in the winch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
Sometimes life just bites you on the bum.

The other day I was doing a walk around on the boat, and decided to have a look at my winch, more specifically I thought as the winch hadn't been used for a month or so, I would remove the chain from the capstan and run the winch to keep the gears oiled.

Like a lot of boats mine has an electric foot switch as well as the wheelhouse remote. I flipped up the plastic cap on the foot switch and lent over to lift the chain off the capstan, unfortunately at the same time I trod on the switch.The result was three fingers holding the chain were drawn down between the chain and the teeth of the capstan. The anchor was now tight up against the pulpit with me well and truly skewered, blood dripping down over my newly painted Lofran.

After some yelling and general use of a few well known anglo saxon descriptive words my partner finally figured out which switch on the flybridge lowered the anchor.

Apart from losing a few finger nails etc, there appears to be no permanent damage, I was lucky.

So what have I learnt, apart from ensuring body parts and big metal things not coming in contact with each other. The main thing I have realised is that your partner must be capable of operating the boat , if for any reason you are not, and in this situation it will probably be highly stressful for all concerned, so your partner must understand this and know what to do under pressure.

Time for this old dog to learn new tricks.. :blush:

Last edited:
Ouch! I feel your pain, Andy.

Actually - I did feel it a few weeks ago. My anchor shackle sometimes gets caught up, and I was holding the chain to the side while sucking up the last couple inches. The chain sucked up faster than I expected and included my fingers. I learned what a silly mistake that was, luckily just with a bit of bruising.

Its no use getting older if we are not getting wiser.

Ouch X 2! Be careful!!

Few years ago, due to anchor use, I broke forward knuckle on right hand ring finger... She became a thick knuckle, still flexible though.

Moral to the story... Anchor paraphernalia can BITE! :facepalm:

O U C H
I boat alone and after reading this I will be fitting a UP and Down switches near the winch seems logical ?

It was the foot switch near the winch that was the root of the problem.

Ouch baby, very ouch! Sort of like the guy who reaches around to see if his drill bit is about to break thru,,, when it does.

Ouch indeed! If the winch was in a factory it would be guarded under the Factories Shops & Industries Act. It`s only properly guarded if it can`t be used.
A speedy recovery Andy.

That was winch, not wench.....right.

Does a windlass in standard mounting have a switch to cut off the foot switches?
Just wondering and hoping to avoid something like this once we buy.

You can rig it many different ways electrically....

The simplest way to avoid inadvertent actuation and chain issues, is lift the chain out of the gypsy till you plan on deploying or recovering.

You can rig it many different ways electrically....

The simplest way to avoid inadvertent actuation and chain issues, is lift the chain out of the gypsy till you plan on deploying or recovering.

Not sure I understand. Assuming you have a chain lock or snubber, you leave the chain off the gypsy until you want to either deploy or raise the anchor? I have never thought of doing that.

Just don't touch it! I used to have a conventional windlass with a chain gypsy and I can't think of a reason to mess with it by hand. Some, like on some Mainships, are covered up so you can't get at it. If you do have to mess with it, go to the wheelhouse and pull the breaker, put a hitch on the chain with a mooring line or similar to support the chain, then do whatever you have to do.

We rescued a woman who had wound her hand in the gypsy and couldn't reach the switch. Fortunately we were strong enough that we could lift the chain and eased it off her hand. She got a ride in an helicopter.

Almost as dangerous as a spinning prop shaft...that's another story.

Not sure I understand. Assuming you have a chain lock or snubber, you leave the chain off the gypsy until you want to either deploy or raise the anchor? I have never thought of doing that.

Yep...most people I know secure the anchor well beyond just the gypsy holding it.

Just lay the loop of chain that goes over the gypsy underneath it. Takes a second to throw it on once up there and ready to go. That way any inadvertent actuation of the windlass don't hurt anyone, doesn't damage the windlass or other things by pulling the chain tight against restaints.

I do it a lot when working in and around there or playing with the free fall tension...but usually leave it on all the time. There are a few other safeguards on my boat so I don't find it necessary...but could see others doing it for various reasons.

I always wondered how it got it's name, Wildcat, now I understand.

My wife and I were EMT's for 20 years. We give a talk on emergency medicine for coastal cruising boaters and have been doing it for 5+ years.

One of our scenarios is the typical husband pulling up the anchor. The wife hears him yell out and runs to the bow to see 3 fingers rolling down the deck. He's grabbing his hand with blood everywhere yelling for help, bandages, etc.

You're the wife. It's a serious emergency with more blood on the deck than you've ever seen in your life. What's the first thing you do to help?

my wife and i were emt's for 20 years. We give a talk on emergency medicine for coastal cruising boaters and have been doing it for 5+ years.

One of our scenarios is the typical husband pulling up the anchor. The wife hears him yell out and runs to the bow to see 3 fingers rolling down the deck. He's grabbing his hand with blood everywhere yelling for help, bandages, etc.

You're the wife. It's a serious emergency with more blood on the deck than you've ever seen in your life. What's the first thing you do to help?

Run!!

My wife and I were EMT's for 20 years. We give a talk on emergency medicine for coastal cruising boaters and have been doing it for 5+ years.

Catch the fingers before they roll off deck.

Same time tell husband to compress his hand's blood flowing areas against his shirt/stomach and with other hand's fingers grab wrist of injured hand as tightly as possible.

Once loose fingers are in secure location take rope or belt and apply truncate pressure tightly to his arm just above wrist.

Grab fingers and assist husband to rear of boat area.

Place fingers on ice.

Call on SS and cell phone for may day assistance.

From that point - depends where your boat is and what is going on to determine next actions taken.

I'm no expert... but that is what I'd do and hope my wife would do too. I'm interested to read other responses. :ermm:

Folivier, they should have a shut off switch. :thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 157

IMHO

Secure the boat first. Make sure you're not drifting over the falls, in front of an oncoming tanker or about to run aground. Don't let one emergency become two.:eek: Probably not the plan you're husband wants to hear but you can't help him if you're a victim too.:blush:

Interesting question, I'll go with Notlandlocked...., secure the boat then with Art's secure the fingers.

One further thing I did not mention during my little mishap. After the chain incident my partner ran to me, leaving the wheel unattended and boat in gear. I did mention to her that that was not a good idea as there was a ferry on our port bow about to cross our wake.

A slight hijack here(as it's my thread I guess that is OK), as Jeffery mentioned that he & his wife are knowledgeable in emergency situations, as are some others on the forum, maybe it would be worthwhile to put up a sticky with general advice covering how to handle handle general medical and emergency procedures.Just a thought.

Reactions: Art
Most people would have gone with something about compression or bandaging. Notlandlockedforlong is the rare exception. If he had any firefighting or EMS experience, it was unfair!

The first thing to do in any emergency situation is something called "scene safety." The patient might not like it but ignoring the fact that the state of the anchor was unknown could turn a life changing situation into a life threatening one. Leaving the boat in gear is another example of an incorrect first response especially when too many things are happening and everyone is so distracted.

In any real emergency situation at anchor as described, the second thing to do is to issue a Mayday on VHF 16 along with making a lot of noise - horns, whistles, etc - to attract attention and possible nearby help - I've responded to 2 emergency calls from my boat to a nearby boat - we carry a small ambulance of supplies and equipment including a defibrillator. Here's where a handheld would really help to allow you to answer the Mayday request while attending to the patient as the third step.

This OP case is a good one that looks on-the-line as a Mayday. But it wasn't - it should have been called if there was any chance of losing a limb or causing permanent damage.

The third step is the general CPR ABC steps - airway, breathing, circulation. But that only should happen when the scene is safe and help is on the way. Again, this is for a real emergency - heart attack, stroke, anaphylaxis, trauma, environmental emergencies or any type of unexpected unconsciousness.

Never be slow to issue a Mayday. You're well more likely to issue one because of a medical emergency than any other reason but many people don't do it early enough. If you feel it's an emergency, you've met the CFR's and FCC regulations. I've been involved with multiple CG Maydays as the onshore EMS - a couple of times, it saved a life by getting the CG involved quickly. You can always call back to cancel it. Get the response started early.

The first thing to do in any emergency situation is something called "scene safety." The patient might not like it but ignoring the fact that the state of the anchor was unknown could turn a life changing situation into a life threatening one. Leaving the boat in gear is another example of an incorrect first response especially when too many things are happening and everyone is so distracted.

In any real emergency situation at anchor as described, the second thing to do is to issue a Mayday on VHF 16 along with making a lot of noise - horns, whistles, etc - to attract attention and possible nearby help - I've responded to 2 emergency calls from my boat to a nearby boat - we carry a small ambulance of supplies and equipment including a defibrillator. Here's where a handheld would really help to allow you to answer the Mayday request while attending to the patient as the third step.

My first thought to your scenario was to make sure the boat is secure. I am not sure that would be my wife's first thought however.

3 days ago was the 10th anniversary of when my Dad had a stroke while on their boat. They were anchored in Telegraph Harbor on Thetis Island in the CA Gulf Islands. My Mom had just finished making dinner and my Dad when on deck to take a picture of the anchorage. He came down below and was aphasic, confused and had difficulty with motor control.

My Mom got his seated below then immediately issued a Mayday. She then got my Dad to chew an aspirin. The Canadian Coast Guard answered the Mayday and dispatched a Canadian CG reserve boat out of Ladysmith. My Mom went on deck and essentially shouted for help. Anchored right in the same harbor were another couple. He was an EMT and she was an ER nurse. I am not sure if they heard the Mayday or heard my Mom shouting. They rowed over in their dinghy to render assistance. There wasn't much they could do, but it was nice for my Mom to have them there.

The Coast Guard auxiliary boat got there maybe a 1/2 hour later? I don't recall for sure. (Volunteers who got the call, got themselves down to the dock, got geared up and the boat ready, and then ran maybe 10 nm to where my folks were anchored) They helped my Dad into their RIB and took he and my Mom to Ladysmith where an ambulance took him to the hospital in Namaimo. Unfortunately, he died 2 days later from a massive brain hemorrhage. Likely secondary to the aspirin, and then the blood thinners given him in the hospital.

The point of the story is to reiterate what Jeffrey was saying. Unfortunately, this event had a bad outcome but it points out that it is important for both captain and crew to know how to handle the boat, handle the radio, and what to do in an emergency. If the stroke had happened while they were sailing, my Mom was perfectly capable of sailing, navigating, and handling the radio if she needed to. There were qualified emergency personnel a short row away who were notified and responded. Like Jeffrey, they had with them a complete emergency kit and the knowledge of how to use it. The CG was able to sent resources out to them quickly and my Dad was in a hospital a few hours after the event occurred.

My wife is not yet as capable as my mother but it is something that we are working on.

This is the photo my Dad took.

Attachments

• Sailing.jpg
    Sailing.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 93
Interesting question, I'll go with Notlandlocked...., secure the boat then with Art's secure the fingers.

One further thing I did not mention during my little mishap. After the chain incident my partner ran to me, leaving the wheel unattended and boat in gear. I did mention to her that that was not a good idea as there was a ferry on our port bow about to cross our wake.

A slight hijack here(as it's my thread I guess that is OK), as Jeffery mentioned that he & his wife are knowledgeable in emergency situations, as are some others on the forum, maybe it would be worthwhile to put up a sticky with general advice covering how to handle handle general medical and emergency procedures.Just a thought.
"ferry on the port bow about to cross our wake"?:confused:

My first thought to your scenario was to make sure the boat is secure. I am not sure that would be my wife's first thought however.

3 days ago was the 10th anniversary of when my Dad had a stroke while on their boat. They were anchored in Telegraph Harbor on Thetis Island in the CA Gulf Islands. My Mom had just finished making dinner and my Dad when on deck to take a picture of the anchorage. He came down below and was aphasic, confused and had difficulty with motor control.

My Mom got his seated below then immediately issued a Mayday. She then got my Dad to chew an aspirin. The Canadian Coast Guard answered the Mayday and dispatched a Canadian CG reserve boat out of Ladysmith. My Mom went on deck and essentially shouted for help. Anchored right in the same harbor were another couple. He was an EMT and she was an ER nurse. I am not sure if they heard the Mayday or heard my Mom shouting. They rowed over in their dinghy to render assistance. There wasn't much they could do, but it was nice for my Mom to have them there.

The Coast Guard auxiliary boat got there maybe a 1/2 hour later? I don't recall for sure. (Volunteers who got the call, got themselves down to the dock, got geared up and the boat ready, and then ran maybe 10 nm to where my folks were anchored) They helped my Dad into their RIB and took he and my Mom to Ladysmith where an ambulance took him to the hospital in Namaimo. Unfortunately, he died 2 days later from a massive brain hemorrhage. Likely secondary to the aspirin, and then the blood thinners given him in the hospital.

The point of the story is to reiterate what Jeffrey was saying. Unfortunately, this event had a bad outcome but it points out that it is important for both captain and crew to know how to handle the boat, handle the radio, and what to do in an emergency. If the stroke had happened while they were sailing, my Mom was perfectly capable of sailing, navigating, and handling the radio if she needed to. There were qualified emergency personnel a short row away who were notified and responded. Like Jeffrey, they had with them a complete emergency kit and the knowledge of how to use it. The CG was able to sent resources out to them quickly and my Dad was in a hospital a few hours after the event occurred.

My wife is not yet as capable as my mother but it is something that we are working on.

This is the photo my Dad took.

A very lovely & poignant photo, I am sure it means a lot to you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom