Queen berth in a 34 Tri cabin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailor john

Veteran Member
Hello all!

I am about to pull the trigger on a Tolly Tri Cabin 34. Before I do that, I wanted to ask, has anyone had any experience reconfiguring the 2 twin berths to a single queen in the aft cabin? I would like to know if this is possible.
My thanks to all,
Sailor John

Thanks for the link.
Wow a queen berth AND a twin! Encouraging news to be sure! I would love to have ideas for a queen birth retrofit, without the twin. (Because 3's a crowd?)
Thanks Conrad,
John

I imagine a centerline queen would be a big retro fit.* But enlarging one twin to a queen and doing away with the other twin should be possible on most boats.

The lost twin could be more lockers, a desk(vanity) a settee, or any combination of these.

You have to leave room for exhaust lines if they pass thru both sides of the aft cabin.

It would be nice to size the berth to a standard mattress size so you can buy it anywhere.

Should be a good project!* Good Luck!* JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Saturday 19th of March 2011 10:38:11 AM

Some great call outs john p!
Looks like it is doable on the starboard berth, but may have to loose the steps to the aft cabin from the back deck and use as emergency exit only. Good idea turning the port twin into a setee
Thanks,
John

Some great call outs john p!
Looks like it is doable on the starboard berth, but may have to loose the steps to the aft cabin from the back deck and use as emergency exit only. Good idea turning the port twin into a setee
Thanks,
John

Here is what I did to my aft cabin, before and after (36', not a tolly) hope it helps.* Okay, they're not to scale, but you get the idea.* Its a queen and it fits.* I removed the stairs and made room for an extra refer/freezer.*** You can still get out if you needed to for emerg, just not as easy.* Next owner can put the stairs back :)

-- Edited by AKdadio on Thursday 31st of March 2011 08:32:39 PM

-- Edited by AKdadio on Thursday 31st of March 2011 08:33:06 PM

-- Edited by AKdadio on Thursday 31st of March 2011 08:34:23 PM

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 109
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 109
Thanks AKdadio! a great idea! I LIKE it!
So to bring you up to speed, we have pulled away from the Tolycraft; it had a pretty rough survey. We are however in the final stages of buying a Hatteras 38. Would you believe, the same issues are here too? Two twins instead of a queen. We will have to see how this shapes up!
Sailor John

Back
Top Bottom