Other than weather, why have a lower helm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again take it up with these guys just for starters...

47268.jpg

Cal,
That kind of FB I fully support. A little helm station tucked in behind the wheelhouse adds so little windage it's not worth mentioning ditto the weight and CG. That's why they have this kind of FB. Like the Eagle 32. I like.

But they can have those waves all to themselves. Being out on deck in that stuff they can have too. I'm sure the're cliped in though.

Eric,
That is a bridge-deck control station, not a fly-bridge .

Ted

There are times when I miss the fly bridge.

One unexpected consequence though is when guests are aboard it is much more interactive when we are all in the same space vs me at the helm above and them below.

Our next boat will most likely have a FB but for now Ebbtide suits our needs.

. In really rough going at high speed the FB would be stupid. And excluding the visability issue any boat would be a better sea boat w/o a FB.
There's that word again! Not one that should be used in a forum like TF. It offends too many members.:nonono:

Reactions: GT6
Codger,
Perhaps I ment to offend ... only slightly but to snap the thoughts to objectivity. The FB is not good for seaworthyness. But most here have their head in the sand on that. They are fun, and these are pleasure boats .. but the FB does nothing to help the boat make it's way accross the sea/water. Art got it .. they are fun. But they don't help a boat being a boat.

Ted,

"Bridge Deck Control Station" great

Now I've got a name for the good FB.

There's even a Willard w a BDCS ..Horizon.

There are times when I miss the fly bridge.

One unexpected consequence though is when guests are aboard it is much more interactive when we are all in the same space vs me at the helm above and them below.

Our next boat will most likely have a FB but for now Ebbtide suits our needs.

I thought you ment you could be at the FB attending to busuness and still have many guests aboard .. not a distraction. I thought that was a good point but now not sure that's what you ment. You ment you'd miss the party?

The FB at anchor would be nice though.

Codger,
Perhaps I ment to offend ... only slightly but to snap the thoughts to objectivity. The FB is not good for seaworthyness. But most here have their head in the sand on that. They are fun, and these are pleasure boats .. but the FB does nothing to help the boat make it's way accross the sea/water. Art got it .. they are fun. But they don't help a boat being a boat.

Of course no boat with a flybridge could possibly be seaworthy. And a boat isn't a boat if it doesn't meet your idea of what a boat is. Guess all the megayachts need to reduce to just a main deck too. Well, really almost all passagemakers. Most powerboats crossing oceans have flybridges. Boy, we're all so stupid and our heads buried in the sand, although they could be buried in worse places.

But keep enjoying insulting anyone who doesn't agree with you. Glad that brings you pleasure.

Perhaps you could share with us to enlighten us a few of the current passagemakers and ocean crossing powerboats that don't have flybridges so we'd have good examples?

Reactions: GT6
Codger,
(I MO) "Absolutely unbelievable!

A saddle & bridle don't make a horse a horse. They do, however,make the animal perform better!

A periscope doesn't make the submarine better...it does, however, add to the performance of the vessel!

A fly bridge doesn't make the boat better! It does, however, add to the boats usefulness, visibility, and safety when operating in close quarters.:blush:

As long as mild offending seems to be OK.....:D

I am absolutely convinced now that new trawler owners have weeded out certain opinions that are beyond over the top...flying bridge and all. :rofl:

With ZERO actual facts to support anything but an opinion about stability and survivability...which If properly argued might make sense....doesn't at all make any sense, thankfully,.it is as transparent as looking though the clear air of a nice flybridge....:thumb:.

Last edited:
The blue water boats I see most commonly are Defever, Kadey Krogen and Nordhavn. I guess their designers really screwed up.

The blue water boats I see most commonly are Defever, Kadey Krogen and Nordhavn. I guess their designers really screwed up.

So did Fleming, Bering, Feadship, Westport, Lurssen, Hargrave.

OK,
If you guys can't see the disadvantage in adding considerable weight and windage aloft on an already heavy trawler type boat .... I'm out.

OK,
If you guys can't see the disadvantage in adding considerable weight and windage aloft on an already heavy trawler type boat .... I'm out.

Do you think there is a remote possibility that the NA actually took the weight of the fly bridge into account when the boat was designed? And, as designed it is quite stable? I have no idea how many fly bridge boats exist, but I do know that if they were inherently dangerous or less than seaworthy there would not be many of them around.

From my perspective, and this is just me personally and not a critique of anyone else's preferences, I couldn't imagine boating from the inside all the time. I love the view, the sounds, and the breeze from the top. However, as I said, that's me.

I have two cars. One is a two-door coupe and the other is a convertible. Guess which I drive when the weather is beautiful (if I can pry it out of my wife's hands)? Is the convertible inherently more dangerous than the coupe? Perhaps, however we assume the risk for the enjoyment. We take a risk just getting out of bed in the morning.:D

How many overweight friends in the pilothouse equals one fly bridge?

I'm used to being in the minority. Definitely, twin engines and a flying bridge rule.

Not for me.

Interesting bow line tie Art. One of your ceeative moments I'm sure. Haha sometimes we make do w what lines we have. Or what cleats we find. Bull rails .. Love'em.

The Uniflite 31 and 27 are my favorite Uniflites.

Re your 77 Art .. Like I said flybridges are for ice cream boats. Fun boats. And before you say something work boats have the FB for reasons not pretaining to fun.

Define "work boat" for us. Or are those Coasties going for ice cream? I guess that includes purpose built offshore big game fishing boats? How about the Nordhavns and the Dashews? Not that ice cream is a bad thing, but that's all a lot of coin to go get it!

Did car designers miss an opportunity to incorporate the FB on cars? You could drive up there nice days, down below other times.

Did car designers miss an opportunity to incorporate the FB on cars? You could drive up there nice days, down below other times.

Great idea! It's a hit on boats!

Ok I've drained the hot tub and will get serious... First since we live aboard I'm looking around the marina and the harbor fully 95% of power boats over 35ft have a fly bridge... A few Sea Rays and a couple of smaller express type boats don't... However to get back to the "ice cream boat" I see when they are not fishing in Alaska most seiners have top houses which is just a enclosed fly bridge... Even the larger gill netters up there have top houses sure some don't, but for most visibility trumps the little increase of instability... I personally operate this old gal from up top 100% of the time.

Boat designers have missed the mark by not having true convertibles, 100% automatic. Only a couple of builders have done that.

Do you think there is a remote possibility that the NA actually took the weight of the fly bridge into account when the boat was designed? And, as designed it is quite stable? I have no idea how many fly bridge boats exist, but I do know that if they were inherently dangerous or less than seaworthy there would not be many of them around.

From my perspective, and this is just me personally and not a critique of anyone else's preferences, I couldn't imagine boating from the inside all the time. I love the view, the sounds, and the breeze from the top. However, as I said, that's me.

I have two cars. One is a two-door coupe and the other is a convertible. Guess which I drive when the weather is beautiful (if I can pry it out of my wife's hands)? Is the convertible inherently more dangerous than the coupe? Perhaps, however we assume the risk for the enjoyment. We take a risk just getting out of bed in the morning.:D

Not as much as the health risk of staying too long in the bed every morning!! LOL

Not as much as the health risk of staying too long in the bed every morning!! LOL

Wifey B: Are you saying too much time in bed is dangerous? Oh, you don't mean the bed is the danger, you mean specifically sleeping? :confused:

Wifey B: Are you saying too much time in bed is dangerous? Oh, you don't mean the bed is the danger, you mean specifically sleeping? :confused:

Wifey B, I figured you might chime in on my statement!

Bed can offer great opportunity for:

1. Needed rest,
2. Wonderful sexercise experiences, or... as you allude to;
3. Too damn much sleep and muscle/joint relaxation.

I know which two we practice regularly!! Yeah Baby!!! :dance:

HAHA Bruce,
I thought of that .. even Larry and a photoshop.

But I've made my point and think the issue has gotten more attention than it deserves. Perhaps I should be flattered by so much response but I was'nt keep'in up at one point.

To those that took offense .. Sorry.

Fly bridges aren't ideal from a standpoint of CG and windage. But the critique is fly stuff unless the boat is too small. And many exist. But many may think twice before putting an OB and battery on the FB and then have a bunch of people up there. That's what I like to do most ... get people thinking.

Don't over do it Art.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom