Diesel injector service recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
My Volvo MD2030 is due for its first 400 hour diesel injector inspection. Any recommendations on someone who works on diesel injectors and can test pressure/pattern, clean, and rebuild (if necessary)? I can take them out and ship.

No problems with the engine. She has low hours but has never had the injectors cleaned.

Thanks!

There is an argument to leave them be. Many engine builders use similar Bosch gear and have no recommendation for inj service. On engines I care for, if they sound smooth, don't smoke, no unusual diesel knock, and perform well... the injectors are doing their job.

On my personal boat, the Cummins is at 3600hrs, the gen is near 6000, my vw car is at 240k miles, which is about 6000hrs. All have never had injector service. I do know my gen is "nailing" a little at light load, so it is due. The Cummins and VW are running perfect.

Sending injectors off to a shop introduces risks not present now such as leaks. And one of the worst is that there are a lot of cheap counterfeit parts out there and some shops do not have tight rein on their supply chain.

Good advice, Ski. I appreciate your input!

If it ain't broke don't fix on it until it is!

Had a Volvo truck in my shop a couple years ago. It was throwing injector codes and needed two injecotors replaced. It had 1.3 million miles on the engine and the injectors had never been touched that probably works out to around 25,000 hours. So at 400 hours I would not be touching them. It runs leave it alone. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Last edited:
I beginning to think you are correct! Volvo calls for injector pressure testing every 400 hours--just following the maintenance schedule. I appreciate the input!

Sending injectors off to a shop introduces risks not present now such as leaks. And one of the worst is that there are a lot of cheap counterfeit parts out there and some shops do not have tight rein on their supply chain.

What he said. And for the benefit of newbies who have yet to figure out who knows what they are talking about on the Forum and who does not, Ski is one of the ones that we listen to. Closely.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471214184.086807.jpg

Indeed. I suspect servicing injectors at 400 hours may benefit Volvo engine techs more than engine owners.

The injector guy I respect the most suggests Stanadine if the engine has no problems.

Inspection every 400 hours might be a rule for the Air Police , not a genuine engine operating requirement .

Every 400 hours a can of injector cleaner doesnt cost much , and might be good insurance.

I gave up on finding a local shop to test my injectors...even if I did, at $30 an injector, that's $180 to find out the are or aren't working.

For between $80-$140 you can buy a reasonable pop tester on the internet, and as RickB pointed out in an injector thread awhile back, it isn't rocket science and if you do find a faulty one, you have the choice of repairing yourself or replacing.

I empty my Racor 500's, fill with Seafoam. I can tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

I gave up on finding a local shop to test my injectors...even if I did, at $30 an injector, that's $180 to find out the are or aren't working.

For between $80-$140 you can buy a reasonable pop tester on the internet, and as RickB pointed out in an injector thread awhile back, it isn't rocket science and if you do find a faulty one, you have the choice of repairing yourself or replacing.

Scott- What is going on with your injectors?

Back
Top Bottom