Punta Gorda Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
Saw an interesting trawler in Punta Gorda today. It's called a Dutch Sturdy 320. I'd never seen one before. Neat looking boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 136
Here is the pointy end. Note the rub rail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 121
Rub rail attachment

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 109
Interesting design.
Note the stockless anchor.
More interesting is the keel under the bow. Short WLL so they gave the keel some "purchase".
I don't care for those cutsy rub rail. The best rail I've ever seen is the blue ones on the Albin 25. Never seen one damaged.
Multi chine ... must be steel.

We hired one for 3 weeks in France 30 hp ? I think were were sea sick the hole 3 weeks and a week after :(

Eric, I thought it was steel as well but when I thumped on it, it sounded and felt like glass.

I think I'd call the rub rail traditional rather than cutesy, but point taken about durability.
I was fascinated by how it was attached. I've never seen that before.

I saw in on YachWorld a few days ago. With the same gas cylinder in the same location.

Thanks Craig. I went nuts trying to get them right side up.

A nice looking, steel-hulled boat, no doubt very well built. But, the interior is pretty Spartan. I'm thinking it would appeal to very few First Mates.

"I think I'd call the rub rail traditional rather than cutesy, but point taken about durability."

The Euros realize if the boat cruises the rub rail will get lots of wear.

Rather than bolting and unbolting , and worrying about water tightness,
the use of a heavy line laid in a channel , tightened with a turnbuckle is very practical.

In the USA mostly Loopers see 100+ locks , in most euro rivers locks abound.

So when I buy a boat you guys wouldn't think old tires would look good for fenders?

"I think I'd call the rub rail traditional rather than cutesy, but point taken about durability."

the use of a heavy line laid in a channel , tightened with a turnbuckle is very practical.

Thanks Fred, great explanation.

When I saw the turnbuckle I thought that it was very clever. Makes it very easy to change the rub rail. It just occurred to me that when the outside of the rope gets scruffy looking, you can just turn it over and use the other side. Those Dutch guys aren't as dumb as wooden shoes would have you believe.

I'm going to start a business in the U.S. offering a "Replaceable Rope Rub Rail Refit". For boaters facing docking challenges and rough pilings.

Might help the first mate's anxiety when I use the rub rail for docking assistance.

I'm going to start a business in the U.S. offering a "Replaceable Rope Rub Rail Refit". For boaters facing docking challenges and rough pilings.

Might help the first mate's anxiety when I use the rub rail for docking assistance.

Not a whole lot of use with floating docks common to the western USA.

Back
Top Bottom