Scrapping a boat, considerations and cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
What happens to boats when they finally expire?
Fiberglass is junked at the dump or it has enviromental issues?

-- Edited by Per on Friday 18th of March 2011 12:14:57 PM

I've seen hurricane boats crushed by front end loaders and hauled to the landfill. I have no idea of the cost.

The machine gunners club had a couple of old boats hauled back to a gravel pit at the head of the bay and used them for target practice.

for $20.00 i was able to run a full belt of 200 rounds through a M60.

the gun from the Rambo flicks, The tracer rounds set them*on fire.

*Man was that cool.

SD

Good Question. I plan to do just that this spring or early summer, In my case, Mississippi Molly (1974 Trojan F25) needs to go away. I hate to do her in, but realistically, she is worth more in pieces than whole. The very low hour Ford 351 inboard w/ velvet drive 1:1 is a drop in replacement for many older tournament ski boats. That, and the 30' 10,000 lb trailer should bring $3000 total, more than I could get for the boat complete, and be easier to sell. I figure anything I can use in my new to me Californian 34LRC is virtually free. The 3 stage charger, Groco Model KH head, swim platform (will need to be stretched to 11' long) 2/0 rubber jacketed weld cable battery wiring, battery switches, inverter, shore/inverter transfer relay, 150 amp engine alternator, stereo and speakers (nice), etc, etc. The list of stuff I can reuse is long. Stuff I can sell is long too. Prop, shaft, strut, rudder and stuffing box, teak rail gate hinges, etc,etc.
To dispose of the body, I plan to bash it to small bits with a hydraulic excavator and load it into a rolloff container to haul to the landfill. Unless I can find a place on somebody's farm to light her up with a match and a gallon of diesel fuel. That would be a party.

Don't even think about burning a fiberglass boat. A lot of it won't burn (I think it was the mat that was left). If you pull the tanks, engine, and transmission, the rest of it will be no problem at the land fill. If you are going to part it out, a chainsaw makes it real easy to carve a boat up to get engines and tanks out.

Ted

The town I live in has a transfer station that they haul trash to some other less lucky place, you back up in a building and dump your stuff and every so often they push it off the side into huge transfer truck bins, and they have a loading "claw" arm that a operator can move stuff around in the bin to make things fit better. A couple months ago I watched somebody pull up with a boat and the guy that runs the claw grabbed the back of the transom and the owner just drove off and the boat slid off the trailer. In less than 5 minutes he had it crushed into nothing and in the bin. At
$120.00 a ton it is a pretty cheap was to dispose of a boat... this was a 18' runabout with a inboard
HOLLYWOOD

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Friday 18th of March 2011 06:38:36 PM

Capn Craig wrote:

Good Question. I plan to do just that this spring or early summer, In my case, Mississippi Molly (1974 Trojan F25) needs to go away. I hate to do her in, but realistically, she is worth more in pieces than whole. The very low hour Ford 351 inboard w/ velvet drive 1:1 is a drop in replacement for many older tournament ski boats. That, and the 30' 10,000 lb trailer should bring $3000 total, more than I could get for the boat complete, and be easier to sell. I figure anything I can use in my new to me Californian 34LRC is virtually free. The 3 stage charger, Groco Model KH head, swim platform (will need to be stretched to 11' long) 2/0 rubber jacketed weld cable battery wiring, battery switches, inverter, shore/inverter transfer relay, 150 amp engine alternator, stereo and speakers (nice), etc, etc. The list of stuff I can reuse is long. Stuff I can sell is long too. Prop, shaft, strut, rudder and stuffing box, teak rail gate hinges, etc,etc.
To dispose of the body, I plan to bash it to small bits with a hydraulic excavator and load it into a rolloff container to haul to the landfill. Unless I can find a place on somebody's farm to light her up with a match and a gallon of diesel fuel. That would be a party.
you found a californian 34 lrc?
it was one of those i was thinking of scapping ater pulling parts
but my surveyor told me it could cost 1000's to dispose of a boat
so i decided against it..

"Don't even think about burning a fiberglass boat."

Most of the resin in a GRP boat will burn very hot and is almost impossible to put out.

The resin goes but the glass CSM and roving will remain.

This is 60 % of the boat of a properly built hull and 40 % -50%on a crapola chopper gun special.

The fast hot fire is why the USCG requires Fire Retardant resin on anything to carry PAX , but a 6 pac.

Per wrote:

What happens to boats when they finally expire?
Fiberglass is junked at the dump or it has enviromental issues?

-- Edited by Per on Friday 18th of March 2011 12:14:57 PM
Let's hope it gets gutted and then hauled to the dump.* Far too many times, the last owner removes any identifying numbers and then anchors it, grounds it, or just turns it loose, leaving it as an eyesore or hazzard to navigation.

There are dozens of abandoned boats in my area.* The authorities can't figure out what to do about it so they stay where they are.

If you have room on your deck the transom plus a foot each side *would make a nice bar.
biggrin.gif

The idea of turning her into a bar on the deck is a great idea, *Wow, even the Admiral thought that was a good idea, *Will have to give that a good hard look as I take it apart. *That would be a nice way to preserve the memory. *The P.O. thought that their son was probably conceived on the boat. *The Admiral and I think our son may have been conceived there too. *After 20 years in the family, its not easy to put her down

-- Edited by Capn Craig on Sunday 20th of March 2011 06:00:18 PM

jleonard wrote:

If you have room on your deck the transom plus a foot each side *would make a nice bar.
biggrin.gif

thats a good idea, my idea was to make a kids playhouse in the back yard, but not sure it would fly with the local city code folks.. would make one hell of a play house though..

Per wrote:

thats a good idea, my idea was to make a kids playhouse in the back yard, but not sure it would fly with the local city code folks.. would make one hell of a play house though..
Actually, I have an uncle that did that with a 25 ft woodie at his Rhode Island cottage for his myriad of grandchildren.* Not sure I would do that though for liability reasons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom