ATTN S. Louisiana boaters...urgent request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
**URGENT REQUEST** HELP NEEDED ASAP

Livingston Parish officials are currently asking for individuals with boats that may be able to assist with water rescues to please call 225-686-3996. Livingston Parish is just east of Baton Rouge including Denham Springs. Water is rising very quickly in that area and many residents are currently evacuating with several needing to be rescued.

If anybody in the area knows anybody that can help, please pass it on.

Most of our family is in Baton Rouge, Breaux Bridge and surrounding areas. Several of them will have water in their houses.

Most of our family is in Baton Rouge, Breaux Bridge and surrounding areas. Several of them will have water in their houses.

I'm so sorry to hear that...I hope they come out ok.

My daughter is trapped in her appt in Baton Rouge and no way to get home. I can't get to her....?

My oldest son lives near Lafayette, yesterday the water came up to about an inch from his threshold, the rain slacked off and it receded some. The road into his subdivision has been closed do to flooding since yesterday AM.
Unless there is a danger of flooding and if the electricity is on it might be best (safest) to stay put rather than be out on the road.
I saw videos of Gonzales on the news that area looks hard hit too.

so much of the area is underwater.
I don't know how to link to Facebook posts or I would post some of the aerial drone footage.
It's horrible.
People are stranded on I-12.
The Amite River hasn't even crested yet but is forecast to crest at way above record levels.

The 2016 floods aren't as bad as the 1927 break (man made and natrual) in the Mississippi River levee, but bad enough for those caught up in it. It looks like we may have a break in the weather before too long.

Fortunately I live closer to the river in Gonzales. Most of the flooding in this area is north of I-10. Many roads and streets all over are closed. My heart breaks for all of the people affected by this.

Star, if I can help your daughter please let me know, PM me and I'll give you my cell.

Mike I hope you find your Old School fine whenever you are able to get down there.

Star, if I can help your daughter please let me know, PM me and I'll give you my cell.

Thank you so much...that's very kind of you.
She was able to get out Monday evening.

How did you make out?
The devastation is just unreal.

Good to see you again Star. Any damage your way?
We are very fortunate living next to the Miss river, no problems here but a couple miles north of us....devastation.

Star, glad your daughter made it out. I'm sure you were happy to see her!

Good to see you again Star. Any damage your way?
We are very fortunate living next to the Miss river, no problems here but a couple miles north of us....devastation.

No damage here. There was some minor flooding in a few areas.
The water level never did rise very much at the marina.

Looked at several aerial videos over all of the affected areas and it's just so hard to fathom. I love how everybody is coming together to help everyone out!

Star, glad your daughter made it out. I'm sure you were happy to see her!

Oh yes...Sunday was a very stressful day. ATT cell service was out so I couldn't get in touch with her at all for most of the day and I was going into the hospital Monday morning for surgery. If I wouldn't have finally heard from her, I probably would have cancelled my surgery. I just couldn't imagine going into surgery where I would be out of commission without knowing that she was ok.

Thankfully it all worked out.

So, with hundreds of boaters (Cajun Navy) out rescuing people (very effectively, I might add) here come the politicians - State Sen. Jonathan Perry (R-Kaplan) wants to require private boat owners to be trained and certified in search and rescue. "Liability" and stuff, dontcha know? The Coonass Navy (actual term) has demonstrably rescued more people (and critters) in Andrew, Katrina, Rita, Isaac, and this no-name storm than all of the cops, fireman, wildlife and fisheries, national guard, and USCG assets combined. They just show up, ad hoc organize, and go do it. Drives the command and control idiots nuts!

I belong to an organization down here that showed up to haul off the people that were stranded on 1-12 for 24-48 hours. Half the skippers were unlimited or 500 ton captains. Putting boats in the water and the State Police show up promising to arrest anybody who got close for obstructing (?) something. Somehow the Guard couldn't manage dropping MREs & water out of Blackhawks on target - went in the woods or who knows where. Glad I'm not in a hole depending on them for resupply. What a CF!

Glad it worked out for you and yours, Star.

I enjoyed watching those guys (real heroes!) on the local TV station, many of them were "Open carrying" sidearms, for snakes and gators I'm sure. I guess those weren't shown on the mainstream news, too bad.
SBU22 thanks to you for your participation!

So, with hundreds of boaters (Cajun Navy) out rescuing people (very effectively, I might add) here come the politicians - State Sen. Jonathan Perry (R-Kaplan) wants to require private boat owners to be trained and certified in search and rescue. "Liability" and stuff, dontcha know? The Coonass Navy (actual term) has demonstrably rescued more people (and critters) in Andrew, Katrina, Rita, Isaac, and this no-name storm than all of the cops, fireman, wildlife and fisheries, national guard, and USCG assets combined. They just show up, ad hoc organize, and go do it. Drives the command and control idiots nuts!

I belong to an organization down here that showed up to haul off the people that were stranded on 1-12 for 24-48 hours. Half the skippers were unlimited or 500 ton captains. Putting boats in the water and the State Police show up promising to arrest anybody who got close for obstructing (?) something. Somehow the Guard couldn't manage dropping MREs & water out of Blackhawks on target - went in the woods or who knows where. Glad I'm not in a hole depending on them for resupply. What a CF!

Glad it worked out for you and yours, Star.

Thank god for the people who just showed and did what needed to be done without waiting for the "officials". The death toll would be much higher if everybody waited around on the government.
I think the rescue Facebook group did more to help people get rescued by connecting them with the volunteers out there with boats than anything done through official channels. People couldn't get through to 911 or police or anything else. The system was completely overwhelmed.

It's the people who showed up with their own boats who are the true heroes. It's a miracle there have only been 13 deaths.

Naw, Steve, I wasn't involved - just a member. I was working on my boat - wasn't aware of the I-12 situation until Saturday night. Still having trouble with the LSP response.

Back
Top Bottom