Gunkholing in the CA Delta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was able to update previous posts of Day 1 and 2 with some pictures. More coming, but it's slow going here on the hook. Part of it is my data connection, but most of it is this cast-off laptop I just transfered to the boat for exclusive boat use. Now I remember why I replaced it!

Started Day 3 in the wind shadow of Decker Island. It was a very peaceful overnight in benign conditions. I started out the day in the cool ER adding a qt of oil to each engine after about 30-35 hrs of running. That's much improved over the old days when I ran her 200 RPM higher than now. It used to be a qt every 15 hrs or so.

Since I was sitting on tanks 3/8 full, I had about 25 hrs plus a 5 hr reserve remaining, so I stopped by Delta Marina in Rio Vista ($3.60) and added 50 gal total. It gives me an additional 15 hrs of operating time so even if I move 3 hrs per day for the remainder of my 2 weeks on the water, I'll be good. One less thing to worry about!

3 Mile Slough Bridge

img_468453_0_20fc560c95790fc245c1f823348983d6.jpg

Rio Vista Bridge

I left Delta Marina with more ice (but no pumpout!) on my way to Steamboat. The Rio Vista Bridge lies just N of Delta Marina but with 19 ft of clearance, I didn't need a lift.

When I reached Steamboat Slough, I hung a right.

Snug Harbor

As I approached the J-Mack ferry, I noted the signs warning not to pass the ferry while it's red light is flashing. This is a cable ferry so the cable is taut when it's in motion. I waited until the ferry docked on the Grand Island side, then moved slowly along the Ryer Island side of the slough, watching the ferry and slack cable. As I approached the cable, I saw it go taut! The ferry's red light was flashing and he was pulling out of the landing! I was going about 4 kts when I slammed the trannies into reverse and goosed the engines, bringing the boat to an abrupt and complete stop about 20 ft from the cable. I sounded my horn a couple short blasts in the process to alert the ferry pilot that I was there. I backed off about 100 ft and waited. Then he came onto CH 16 apologizing for his "my bad!" (no kidding, MB...he used your name in vain!) "No problem" I said, but that was close! A good lesson to always expect the unexpected, even from the professionals. How many times he must cross that little slough without a boat in sight! It must be mind fogging after a while.

Steamboat Ferry - J Mack:

I proceeded merrily up Steamboat Sl noting the interesting houses and mansions gracing her banks. I always enjoy seeing the Grand Island Mansion (GIM)where many of the Delta legends and Hollywood characters merged. (And I mean that in several ways!!) It harkens back to the days of old. I continued up the slough about a 1/2 mile and dropped the hook. After shutting down the engine, I could hear my water pump and see the red bilge pump light. PRESSURE WATER-OFF, CHECK FW TANK LEVEL.

Sure enough, for the 3rd time in the past 2 1/2 years, I lost the output hose from my water heater! First time, I replaced the lower clamp where it released. Next time, it was the hose that was replaced. Now, it's the same hose, but at the other end! I replaced that clamp today. So now I've got a tight water system again, but lost all 75 gallons in the tank. Then I remembered!!!

I called the GIM at 1615 and explained my situation. She told me, yes, they had water at their dock and I was welcome to come in to fill up! No problem, no charge! Perfect! 30 minutes later, I was topped off and heading back upsteam. This time I continued another 1/2 mile north and found an evenbetter looking anchorage...still about 1/2 mile south of the permanent anchorages at the north end of Steamboat Sl.

So now I'm here and enjoying my first beer with homemade guacamole and chips in the famous Steamboat Slough! Many riverboats in the late 1800s used this slough as a shortcut from San Francisco to Sacramento. Many of them would run aground on the shifting shoals and become vulnerable to the pirates running the rivers in search of gold from the gold rush being transported to San Francisco. Lots of history here.

img_468453_1_5198645afd5cb1b9671570da83d460c3.jpg

img_468453_2_94a35e8e1f060e7ef46e8f2b068e3040.jpg

img_468453_3_666e00159364c91791ea524aa46fbaf6.jpg

Time to start dinner, so I'll add pics and other details later!

Cheers!

Day 3 Total: 16NM in about 2 1/2 hrs.

Running total: 59NM in 8 1/2 hrs

Last edited:
Interesting to see the mothball fleet still there. I have not been in that area for many years.

Cable Ferry Crossings

Snug Harbor
As I approached the J-Mack ferry, I noted the signs warning not to pass the ferry while it's red light is flashing. This is a cable ferry so the cable is taut when it's in motion. I waited until the ferry docked on the Grand Island side, then moved slowly along the Ryer Island side of the slough, watching the ferry and slack cable. As I approached the cable, I saw it go taut! The ferry's red light was flashing and he was pulling out of the landing! I was going about 4 kts when I slammed the trannies into reverse and goosed the engines, bringing the boat to an abrupt and complete stop about 20 ft from the cable. I sounded my horn a couple short blasts in the process to alert the ferry pilot that I was there. I backed off about 100 ft and waited. Then he came onto CH 16 apologizing for his "my bad!" (no kidding, MB...he used your name in vain!) "No problem" I said, but that was close! A good lesson to always expect the unexpected, even from the professionals. How many times he must cross that little slough without a boat in sight! It must be mind fogging after a while.
Could have been nasty. Similar "red flashing light" rule applies here,with the ferry stationary one side or the other. But, it`s usual to pass over the cables mid channel on the basis they loop down between ferry and the fixed side, and will be at the deepest in the middle.
Sounds like a great solo journey!

Yes, Bruce. It would be more accurate to say I "favored" the other side, but was still within 10% of the middle.

Since I lost 75 gals of water today, I guess the answer to my question of how long I could make 100 gal of water last is theoretically 4! I think I can do better than that. I'm going to take a mulligan and start that one over! Reset Day 3 with full water.

I'm liking my new fuel gaging system. I think someone suggested it or something similar here on TF over the past year or so. I use my laser pointer thermometer to sense the temp difference in the side of my aluminum-aluminium tank. I recently marked 1/8 tank increments in my rectangular tank walls near the aft lazarette. When I shoot the wall after an engine run, I can see the temp drop as I lower the laser to the level of the fuel in the tank. I have now 'recalibrated' my electric fuel gages to match the 1/4 and 1/2 tank levels with a Sharpie.

My water saving faucet levers are also helping save water. It's like a Navy Shower lever that I can use every time I wash my hands or do the dishes. I like it so much I put one in the head, too. The good ones shut off completely when levered off. Cheap ones still dribble when off.

img_468494_0_22130204db5e359bb829bdd60c520470.jpg

Electrically I'm doing pretty well. With about 2 hrs running each day, my Balmar keeps the batteries topped off. I end each run at 95% or more. This morning was the lowest I've seen this week at 80%. My 2-week's food fit into my new Nova Kool so I'm only running the countertop fridge on the inverter when I'm underway to chill a six pack, watermelon and corn on the cob. All the meat, breakfasts, side dishes and snacks fit into the 5.8cf NK! I was very surprised! (Even my bait is in there!!!)

I haven't launched the dink yet b/c it hasn't been needed. I'll probably not need it until the east Delta. Not having it in the water makes moving each day much simpler. But it's nice to know it's here if I need it with a Honda 2HP and a Merc 2-stroke 15HP. Both have their advantages.

I run the Honda gen to make coffee, run the microwave and use the electric skillet. All else runs off 12V and the 1000W POS Xantrex inverter.

Last edited:
Here's a video I made several years ago while overflying these waters. Day 2 is mostly covered between 1:10 at Montezuma Slough and 3:10 at Decker Island. I covered in 2 minutes by air what took me 2 hrs by boat.

Years ago when the wind farm near Rio Vista was expanding rapidly, the Air Traffic Controllers at Travis AFB were concerned about the effect on their radar, so we were called in to do a series of low altitude checks to verify, among other things, that their Minimum Safe Altitude Warning (MSAW) system was functioning properly. This involved establishing radar contact at a normal altitude, then descending rapidly to below their safe altitude in an attempt to trigger their warning system. We did this throughout the SE quadrant where the wind turbines were located.

While we were doing this over Montezuma Slough and the Salinity Gate, I passed my cellphone camera to the Electronics Technician standing near the cockpit and he recorded this video. You can't hear the conversation with ATC but you can hear the airplane's Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS) sounding at low altitudes.

In this video, the salinity gates are closed requiring boats to lock through at the left (north) end of the gate system.

Mothball Fleet:

Rio Vista/Decker Island:

On this one, I saw my friend and Pro Striper Guide Mark Wilson fishing on the river near Decker Island so I gave him a wing wave.

Last edited:
Al, thanks so much for these posts, as much as they make me homesick. I wish my Dad was still alive to see a few of these. He grew up in the Delta area, and one of his grandfathers was involved in the development of the Delta as we know it today. A cousin still has a farm on Ryer Island where we used to go pheasant and goose hunting. The other family homestead on Sherman Island where he spent summers in the 20's and 30's is long gone, there is some sort of banquet/event joint there now. And of course we've done a lot of boating throughout the Delta over the years.

Please keep this blog coming!

Please bear with me as I'm continuing to have problems uploading pics from my phone. Only about 1/2 are getting through so there are more to come soon, I hope.

Day 4:

Today was a slow running and short day. I only traveled 7 NM in 1:15 moving from the north end of Steamboat Sl to the N end of Georgiana Slough. There's an anchorage just N of where I anchored last night, so I idled through there on my way out of Steamboat Sl.

img_468738_0_da78f673f2ca97595505f7fe310a21ec.jpg

img_468738_1_a0944da5ec0e17c577d81ee6fba1e87d.jpg

After passing under the Steamboat Sl Bridge, I hung a right and proceeded a few miles south toward Walnut Grove.

img_468738_2_4b04a69bbd67660d22295ad527a850dd.jpg

I saw Scary's boat there and he caught me taking pics of Cary'd Away as I passed. We chatted briefly as I jockeyed in position next to him. We hope to rendezvous later this week.

img_468738_3_df1cb352eb4c2937757c8242477c38fc.jpg

I passed under the Walnut Grove Bridge and then opened the Georgiana Slough Bridge at Georgie's north end. Now I'm anchored about 3/4 mile into the slough in the company of a couple Manatees. I'll hang here tonight in the warm and calm conditions.

img_468738_4_4e6dddc1af87954dba2022bb100edc6c.jpg

Speaking of weather, my days are running in the mid-80s to low 90s with 35-40% humidity and light to moderate winds. Right now it's 90 and calm, so I have my Breeze Booster up to grab whatever breeze I can. Tonight's low is forecast for 60*. No rain or clouds in the forecast.

Having just returned from a trip to DC, I got used to hearing the "feels like" temperature when locals discussed the weather. "Ya, it's 87 outside BUT IT FEELS LIKE 102!!" That's not something we do around here. When it's 92, we just say it's 92 because with our low humidity, it feels like 92....maybe 95 on a bad day, but not enough to complain about. That's another reason I love Northern CA!!

My decks are getting a little warm in this heat. I just shot the gray cockpit deck in the sun and got 147* with my laser pointer thermometer! This year, I added some rubber mats to the cockpit to pad the deck and cover the hot decks. So I just shot the rubber mat and it registered 157*! OK, that improvement backfired a little bit. After about 10 seconds in bare feet, I start doing the hot potato 2-step, so it's flip-flops in the sunlight this week!

I'll add more pics as the internet allows. Until then....

Cheers!

Last edited:
Al, old videos and undated pictures won't get it. I don't believe that this is happening. You have to put up a picture of you in your Speedo with the front page of the current newspaper for confirmation. I don't believe for a minute that Meg would turn you loose on the world for two weeks totally unsupervised.

Al, old videos and undated pictures won't get it. I don't believe that this is happening. You have to put up a picture of you in your Speedo with the front page of the current newspaper for confirmation. I don't believe for a minute that Meg would turn you loose on the world for two weeks totally unsupervised.

Doesn't/didn't your significant other trust you having "boy" time?

Al, I must admit that Don's comment crossed my mind too! Wow! What a lady! (I just remembered...you bought her a new house recently, didn't you?)

All kidding aside, I've learned more about the Delta from your writings than I ever dreamed. Keep it up (the writings that is) as I really enjoy cruising the Delta with you...albeit vicariously. :blush:

I can do that, Moonman, but you might regret it. It's not something that you can "unsee." Would you accept a copy of this post in the background on my laptop? I don't have any newspapers...does anyone get those any longer?

Al, I must admit that Don's comment crossed my mind too! Wow! What a lady! (I just remembered...you bought her a new house recently, didn't you?)

All kidding aside, I've learned more about the Delta from your writings than I ever dreamed. Keep it up (the writings that is) as I really enjoy cruising the Delta with you...albeit vicariously. :blush:

No we didn't buy a house yet but we're looking. Yes, I'm lucky to have a wife who supports me in my boating/fishing pursuits. In a way, I think she enjoys the peace and quiet.

The CA Delta is filled with thousands of gems hidden under a thin veneer of old. It's fun finding and experiencing the treasures.

I backed off about 100 ft and waited. Then he came onto CH 16 apologizing for his "my bad!" (no kidding, MB...he used your name in vain!)
LOL....wouldn't be the first time I reckon....:thumb::rofl:

Your detailed journey, is a real blast to follow! Can't wait to read more.

MB

Tomorrow, I think I'll run the length of Georgiana Slough. Georgiana is one of the Deltas most beautiful sloughs and is 5 mph/no wake most of the way, so it's a lazy, beautiful cruise best enjoyed with classical music blaring. If the spirit moves me, I might stop in to Oxbow for an ice cream sandwich. I'll be exiting Georgiana on the Mokelumne River just N of the Mokelumne River Bridge.

I'll follow the South Fork into the Terminus area and throw the hook over at the Secret Cove or further up the South Fork in an area heavily treed south of Wimpy's. If I go to the Secret Cove, I'll turn off the AIS before arrival to conceal its true location from the unvetted reader.

The town of Terminus used to be a significant terminal for the transportation of area crops. It's long since ceased in that role, but is the current day location of a busy Tower Park Marina and campground with an Italian restaurant, a bar, general store, ice cream shop, kayak and SUP rentals and other marine support and sales businesses. It's a good place to restock, rock out or rest up.

Recalling the "Shock the Pool" in budgie smugglers aka sluggos pic ,please don`t worry about the Speedos pic. We believe you!

I had a great run down the full length of Georgiana Slough today. I stayed at no wake speed the whole way while listening to classical music. I went single engine for about 4 miles just for the heck of it. It was nice, but I fired up trusty #2 before bridges and docking.

I stopped along the way at Oxbow Marina, one of the delta's more beautiful marinas. The transient dock was posted reserved for a local yacht club arriving today, so I just ducked in, bought some ice cream, dropped some trash and dashed. The p[lace was calm and quiet, but as I continued down Georgiana Sl, I was passed by a long train of inbounders. I got out of there just in time before the revelry starts.

I got some great pics and videos from today's run down Georgiana. I'll post them separately in a bit. Sometimes Youtube doesn't like bits of music playing in the background in videos. Other times it's allowed if incidental to the video. I hope they come through OK.

I proceeded up the South Fork of the Mokelumne River toward Terminus after leaving Georgie Girl. I approached the Super Secret Cove only to find it under assault by a couple dozen sea scouts on their summer romp! As much as I wish I could have joined them, I opted out. I asked and they'll be leaving tomorrow AM, so I'll try to return tomorrow.

On the way out, I saw the hyacinth removal contractor working the area ridding this invasive pest of a plant. I asked if they were slated to clean the cove as I had reported hyacinth growth to the authorities afte rthe July 4th holiday. They were working another area, Sycamore Slough, and didn't have the cove on their schedule.

Eureka! It's Friday at about 1330 and they almost done for the week clearing hyacinth from the next slough to the north! I'll duck in there to see how it looks.

As I entered the slough, the last extractor was exiting the slough with his last load of hyacinth. They were calling it a weekend! I found myself in a clean and quiet slough, so I dropped both hooks, bow and a stern anchor to control the drift. After setting the hook, the other contractor motored by on his way to park his boat for the weekend. I now have the place to myself!!

Tomorrow, I'll head back to the Cove to see if I can get in there after the kids leave. I bet the urine count will be high there after they leave!! Note to self....no fishing in the Cove tomorrow.

Here are some pics from today's trip down the Georgiana Slough. Past Oxbow Marina and Tyler Island Bridge.

Attachments

• 20160812_095705.jpg
    20160812_095705.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20160812_105531.jpg
    20160812_105531.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 69
  • 20160812_111246.jpg
    20160812_111246.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160812_112157.jpg
    20160812_112157.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 72
  • 20160812_114004.jpg
    20160812_114004.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20160812_150409.jpg
    20160812_150409.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20160812_150437.jpg
    20160812_150437.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20160812_154044.jpg
    20160812_154044.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 78
  • 20160812_154113.jpg
    20160812_154113.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 74
Interesting to follow your voyage, Al. Was about to ask you about hyacinth issues. Thanks for the update. ... Georgiana Slough looks very scenic, with no need for above-true-trawler-speed boats.

Last edited:
I stopped along the way at Oxbow Marina, one of the delta's more beautiful marinas. The transient dock was posted reserved for a local yacht club arriving today, so I just ducked in, bought some ice cream, dropped some trash and dashed. ...

Wish there was a clearing -house site where one could confirm the availability of dock space. For now, one might inquire with individual marina and club web-sites, even assuming they are current, but telephonic confirmation can provide some certainty.

Last edited:
Wish there was a clearing -house site where one could confirm the availability of dock space. For now, one might inquire with individual marina and club web-sites, even assuming they are current, but telephonic confirmation can provide some certainty.

I just call them enroute. Any smartphone will pull the number right up with voice commands.

There you are!

Attachments

• IMG_2051.jpg
    IMG_2051.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 84
Walt, that's where I was passing through yesterday. Today I'm in Sycamore Slough north of Terminous. Marinetraffic has not caught up with my slow boat! Boatbeacon has me spot on.

I'm turning off the pseudo-AIS to conceal the location of the Super Secret Cove. I'll be relocating to there in an hour or so. When I arrive, I plan to launch the dink for the first time this trip. I've got a Merc 2-stroke 15 that needs to be exercised. This'll be a great area to do that in.

Here are some videos I recorded yesterday on my lazy trip down Georgianna Slough while listening to some classical music.

Making ice tea on the hot deck. The Breeze Booster really helps direct good airflow through the cabin.

Last night's setting sun

Attachments

• 20160812_191710.jpg
    20160812_191710.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20160812_195944.jpg
    20160812_195944.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 63
  • flip2.jpg
    flip2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I miss my boat.

Al, I find the "wind sock" on the bow of Flywright interesting! Did you do it as a joke or did you do it to facilitate boat handling in close quarters? (Slip?):blush:

The sock is a nice aviatic touch.

I prefer the Jet Fuel Only markers on the fuel tanks but the windsock on the pulpit is cool too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom