Carnage in Brookings Harbor, Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 11:42:14 AM

SeaHorse II wrote:I've watched the video 4 times and each time I can't help but notice how the small power boats take the wave on their beam much better than the sail boats.(?????)

Makes me almost sick to watch the destruction.

I didn't get the chance over the weekend to check my own boat as I was "under the weather", but when I finally made it down to the marina yesterday, I felt guilty that SeaHorse was OK.

As someone on another thread posted earlier, we had an 8-10 knot current and a rise in water level of two feet. All in 15 minutes.

SeaHorse II, do you have a link for video in San Diego?

Ed wrote:SeaHorse II, do you have a link for video in San Diego?
Ed:
The 8-10 knots and 2 feet rise in water level that I'm referring to happened in San
Diego. These figures were reported in someone else's post on this forum within the
past few days. To my knowledge, there's no video on it.

My comment on the small boats doing better than the sail boats was in reference to
the Brookings, OR video.

SeaHorse II wrote:I've watched the video 4 times and each time I can't help but notice how the small power boats take the wave on their beam much better than the sail boats.(?????)
I suppose it has something to do with sailboats' rounded hulls making them easier to roll and continue rolling.

markpierce wrote:

SeaHorse II wrote:I've watched the video 4 times and each time I can't help but notice how the small power boats take the wave on their beam much better than the sail boats.(?????)I suppose it has something to do with sailboats' rounded hulls making them easier to roll and continue rolling.

It looked like some of the sailboats were smaller center board boats.** If the boards are up,*and that's the way most folks leave them, they will really roll around a lot.* Shoal keels will as well.* I would think a boat with a 5-6 foot keel would be a bit more stable.* But if the water*flow under the boat was strong then the righting momentum is less.

-- Edited by JD on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 04:31:30 PM

Mike, My heart sank as I watched your video. I was gasping as I looked at your friend's GB. Just this AM, I was admiring your boat on the Photos page. No doubt, she'll be returned to her previous glory.

My thoughts go out to all who have suffered losses, great and small, over the past week. It makes one rethink his priorities.

God bless!!

Alan,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. As you said, it's a time like this that you evaluate your priorities. The boat, although a great source of fun and excitment, is just a 'thing'. Things can be replaced, and as I said earlier on this thread, no one was killed or even injured during this event, so we're feeling very blessed indeed. *And when you factor in Japan....well, we've got very little to complain about here.

My little ship will be brought back better than she was before, the harbor will be rebuilt and we find friends helping friends (and strangers) every day at the port. *I do feel for the friend who lost his Grand Banks. *But there again, a 'thing' was lost and not a life.

Thanks again.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

For you California guys, Google: Catalina Tsunami Damage. The page has two videos of the surge in Cat Harbor. The headline reads "Ten Boats Lost" but the videos just show the dinghy dock being carried away. I'm guessing the "Ten Boats" were dinghys.
Gotta evacuate now, the lame-stream media, in cahoots with the wacko-enviros in the White House, has decreed that a plume of radiation is headed this way and we are all gonna die.
no.gif

Appears to be normal erosion.* Landslides on CA Hwy 1 are common.

I'd agree with that, especially with all the wildfires that burn off ground-holding vegetation. I just thought it came at a interesting time, so soon after all the wave surges on the Calif coast.

Back
Top Bottom