Lehman injector seat washers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
Anyone have a tip on how to remove the stubborn copper seating washers from Lehman 120 injectors without damaging the injector?

Soak them in some Gunk or carburetor cleaner for 30 minutes to soften a bit of the accumulated carbon.
Grasp the copper washer with a pair of pliers and rotate clockwise and counterclockwise to loosen it and work it down the nozzle. The washer is a close but not tight fit on the nozzle when everything is clean and it is not threaded on, it just sits there.

Thanks, anyone order replacement injectors from American Diesel lately? How much?

I will try a search also...thanks...

Anneal them and reuse...

Was asking how to get them off, not how to reuse them.

Then asked how much for rebuilt injectors, Bomac said $75 withe cores.

Last edited:
Check for a diesel injection shop in any city close to you usually better prices

Anyone have a tip on how to remove the stubborn copper seating washers from Lehman 120 injectors without damaging the injector?

Lie the injector on its side on a wooden work bench. Carefully position a packing knife at right angles to the nozzle with sharp edge between injector nozzle cap and back of copper washer. Lightly tap the back of the knife blade with a hammer to drive the blade behind the washer....like a wedge...little bit one side then the other etc should get it off with no damage and suitable for reuse after annealling

That's a reasonable price from my experience but that's in Connecticut.
And you should be getting new washers with the injectors.

Thanks everyone, got the washers off, carb cleaner with a twist worked.

May hold off on new injectors as these only have 2200 hrs on them, hopefully cleaned up they will last till 3000 as they were working fine on takeout.

Thanks, anyone order replacement injectors from American Diesel lately? How much?

I will try a search also...thanks...

I purchased a new injector from American Diesel about a year ago. Recollect the cost was less than $100.

New from American Diesel costs about $100 as of about a year ago. Why bother with rebuilding for $75 plus shipping when you can have new for not much more.?

Thanks everyone, got the washers off, carb cleaner with a twist worked.

May hold off on new injectors as these only have 2200 hrs on them, hopefully cleaned up they will last till 3000 as they were working fine on takeout.

You can clean up the outside, but the real mess will be inside.
If it were me and I already had them out, I wouldn't put them back in unless it were an emergency of sorts.
Sometimes rebuilt is better, depending on how carefully and closely the shop calibrates them (pop pressure).
You should have a local injection shop that can handle these injectors. Doesn't have to have the word "marine" in their title.

New from American Diesel costs about $100 as of about a year ago. Why bother with rebuilding for $75 plus shipping when you can have new for not much more.?

Bomac quoted me rebuilt $75 with a core, and $750 with no core last week. So don't break the ones you got.

Bomac quoted me rebuilt $75 with a core, and $750 with no core last week. So don't break the ones you got.

$750 for one, ONE new injector? More likely, the $750 was for a set of six new injectors, certainly not just one. I can assure you I paid no more than $100 for a single new injector from American Diesel.

It makes more sense for $750 for a set of injectors. But I would call Bomac to verify.

I don't need to rebuild presently so I didn't persue the statement.

Last edited:
If your injector was so badly carboned that you had to fight to get the washer off, either your engine is running too cold (below 180 degrees) or the injectors are damaged from water in the fuel and are not atomizing the fuel properly and are also dribbling after the injector pump pressure drops. Many injector shops in BC and likely where you live as well will test them for free or for about $25 each. Do this and you will then know exactly what condition they are in. Injector rebuild kits contain all the critical working parts to make them just like new again and each injector is tested after reassembly. Buying new injectors is a total waste of money.

If your injector was so badly carboned that you had to fight to get the washer off, either your engine is running too cold (below 180 degrees) or the injectors are damaged from water in the fuel and are not atomizing the fuel properly and are also dribbling after the injector pump pressure drops. Many injector shops in BC and likely where you live as well will test them for free or for about $25 each. Do this and you will then know exactly what condition they are in. Injector rebuild kits contain all the critical working parts to make them just like new again and each injector is tested after reassembly. Buying new injectors is a total waste of money.

Total waste of money? Difference in cost is only about $25. Consider the cost of two trips to a shop, or postage to return the core and the cost difference becomes even more negligible. Plus, you now have new steel lines, unstressed by long use. What, you say? I once had and injector line fracture while under way, sprayed fuel all over the joint. Turns out it had been work-hardened because, unseen, it had been riding against a hose clamp. If I had had removed this injector and had it rebuilt before the line fractured, I would have installed a disaster waiting to happen. For this guy, replacing with new will always be the choice. Anyone is welcome to my used lines.

Well, 2 things...

American diesel talked me out of replacing before testing.

There are no "new" injectors for these engines according to them if I understood them correctly. Makes sense due to the age of the engines...like exhaust manifolds.

Yes the engine runs cold, yes there was a bit of carbon on them but not severe.

Fuel is perfect, I burn new, clean fuel every year as my tanks are small and I go through 6 to 7 fill ups every year. Plus the tanks were new 3 years ago. Poly so I can see the fuel.. I also run a fuel supplement about half the time.

And for thinking there is an injecttor test place nearby, even in a boating community.....the closest seems to be about 60 miles. Funny as NJ certainly has enough big boats and trucks. I will keep checking, but even 2 of the 6 diesel mechanics I know asked that if I found a test facility, call them.

And what new steel lines? They don't come with injectors? Plus I have had 2 injector line failures, one on an almost brand new line from a fracture in a bend. More than one experienced mech has suggested rebuilt over new, but that isn't even an option I know for these.

Last edited:
There are no "new" injectors for these engines according to them if I understood them correctly.

Thats what the lady told me at Bomac and the reason I assumed the $750 was for 1 new one. Maybe the guy can get his machine shop to build replacements. Dunno.

"And what new steel lines? They don't come with injectors? "

Bomac priced the lines separately when I called. ebay has "complete sets" of lines. the pics dont show any injectors.

I offered some useful information in a spirit of helping out. If you put your old injectors back in you will need washers.

I got my injectors rebuilt by a gentleman in Wisconsin for $25 each including washers plus the cost of mailing. I sent my old ones in and he sent me 6 rebuilds. He specialized in combines but I can't remember his coordinates.

I offered some useful information in a spirit of helping out. If you put your old injectors back in you will need washers.

I got my injectors rebuilt by a gentleman in Wisconsin for $25 each including washers plus the cost of mailing. I sent my old ones in and he sent me 6 rebuilds. He specialized in combines but I can't remember his coordinates.

Just a question about the annealing part.

I imagine the use of the copper washers are because they compress and are able to withstand the combustion pressure. Does annealing them cause them to fatten (soften) back up so they are soft enough to re-compress?

I ask because I simply reused my washer when I took all my injectors out to soak them in seafoam. Possible not the best way to do it, but she runs like a top.

Thats what the lady told me at Bomac and the reason I assumed the $750 was for 1 new one. Maybe the guy can get his machine shop to build replacements. Dunno.

Bomac priced the lines separately when I called. ebay has "complete sets" of lines. the pics dont show any injectors.
Yeah sorry, didn't mean for the second question mark....I know the lines are separate. Someone seemed to insinuate they are automatically replaced or come with a set of injectors.

I would guess the $750 would be for 6 without cores, with cores, 6 at $75 would only be $450...sounds about right.

Just a question about the annealing part.

I imagine the use of the copper washers are because they compress and are able to withstand the combustion pressure. Does annealing them cause them to fatten (soften) back up so they are soft enough to re-compress?

I ask because I simply reused my washer when I took all my injectors out to soak them in seafoam. Possible not the best way to do it, but she runs like a top.

Yes it softens them right up.

There are some good you tube clips on it.

First time I saw it done was for aircraft spark plug washers.

Yeah sorry, didn't mean for the second question mark....I know the lines are separate. Someone seemed to insinuate they are automatically replaced or come with a set of injectors.

I would guess the $750 would be for 6 without cores, with cores, 6 at $75 would only be $450...sounds about right.

Oh, I misunderstood the OP.

I thought he was talking about an Ejection Seat. I figured I could always use that.

Oh, I misunderstood the OP.

I thought he was talking about an Ejection Seat. I figured I could always use that.

What country you in now?

I know when in Iceland a few years back, they had codeine laced Yeager meister.....

Ok...so you want to talk ejection seats on trawlers......this might be a first! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom