Teak finish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geezer

Veteran Member
We are replacing some damaged teak fiddles and have replaced the teak around the new refrigerator.* We are having a problem matching the finish with the existing original teak.
We have a 77 Puget Trawler and the original teak looks very blond and a bit shiny compared to what we used.* Would anyone out there know how the original teak was finished? Thanks, geezer

Part of the biggest problem you will have in matching the old with new is that you can't get the same "type" of teak like they used when they built your boat. The stuff you get today is plantation grown, not wild, and it has different coloration, etc. On our Monk when I had to build some new pieces I had to play with a combinations of stains to try and get the closest match...trial and error type thing.

Same problem, the teak sold today is different than that on my 29 year old boat.

As Tony I tried to blend it a little with stain, I think in time it will match a bit better.

JohnP

Teak comes in different color and texture.* If you look down our rails the color is from a light maple color to a dark walnut.* It is a lot easier to darken/stain than it is to lighten.* I would do nothing for the time being as in time you might get use to it, and/or see it other people notice?*

Thanks for the replys. I was thinking the same thing about the different types being a different color, but was hoping for the magic answer.
Like Phil said, it's a lot easier to darken wood with stain than to lighten it.
Think I'll just hang a little sign "the third person who gripes about our teak gets thrown overboard--and the second one just left."
Geezer

Geezer, when you get the new teak sanded and finished, put it out in bright sunlight for a few days before installing.* The UV rays will mellow the wood to blend better.

That will also raise the grain again, so if you do that, be sure to do another final sanding right before finishing.

Don, Is that the Hope Town lighthouse I see behind you? I waited out a tropical storm in that harbor a long while ago.
I would take you up on your suggestion about putting the teak in the sun a few days but our boat is in the Northwest where we seldom see the sun a few days in a row
smile.gif
The teak we put up looks pretty good-think I'm making a lot out of nothing--or maybe what we replaced was so ratty that anything is an inprovement. Thanks for the suggestion

geezer wrote:

Don, Is that the Hope Town lighthouse I see behind you? I waited out a tropical storm in that harbor a long while ago.
I would take you up on your suggestion about putting the teak in the sun a few days but our boat is in the Northwest where we seldom see the sun a few days in a row
smile.gif
The teak we put up looks pretty good-think I'm making a lot out of nothing--or maybe what we replaced was so ratty that anything is an improvement. Thanks for the suggestion
Good eye, Geezer.* It is the Elbow Cay Light House at Hope Town, Abaco, Bahamas.* Other people have guessed Harbor Town Light House at Hilton Head Island, SC.* We have spent much time at HH, but that's not it.* As you know it is hard to get a clear shot with no other boats at Hope Town.

Incidentally, the sunlight trick really works well especially if you are replacing a panel or other large piece.* It works good on Teak, and I think it absolutely necessary on cherry as it darkens so much.

There seems to be some misunderstanding about teak.

Yes, plantation teak is different (younger) than naturally grown teak, however naturally grown 'old' teak also comes in many color variations. Some teak trees, when first sawn, are called, in Thai language, " Mai khee gai" which translate to the " wood that smells like Chicken Sh*t " . Colours can range from greenish yellow to dark brown when freshly milled. Exposure to air and UV light quickly changes the colours and eventually they will all become....that 'teak brown' that we seem to appreciate.* Yes...those odd teak trees with the odd chraracteristic..... their smell disappears within hours of milling.

If anyone has questions about teak, I have some degree of experience.

******************** regards...Ken

islandteak wrote:
There seems to be some misunderstanding about teak.

Yes, plantation teak is different (younger) than naturally grown teak, however naturally grown 'old' teak also comes in many color variations. Some teak trees, when first sawn, are called, in Thai language, " Mai khee gai" which translate to the " wood that smells like Chicken Sh*t " . Colours can range from greenish yellow to dark brown when freshly milled. Exposure to air and UV light quickly changes the colours and eventually they will all become....that 'teak brown' that we seem to appreciate.* Yes...those odd teak trees with the odd chraracteristic..... their smell disappears within hours of milling.

If anyone has questions about teak, I have some degree of experience.

******************** regards...Ken

*Anyone who knows the that some fresh sawed teak is described in Thai as the wood that smells like chicken **** is officially my go to source for information on teak.* Ken, do you have any experience with Jatoba, my current favorite wood?

A lot of Taiwanese trawlers came with satin varnish finish. A friend just did a darned good match on a repair in his 36 Albin.. He told me what he did but of course the old ears don't hold much anymore. I'll try to remember to ask him, AGAIN. You might also look up his posts on his redos in the ALbin owners forums -

I can attest to the C.S. smell. I was cutting/butchering some old railing salvaged from the dumpster which were very thick and the odour was not quite pleasant, also very oily still - nice stuff.

I have a rubbed oil finish, not varnish, on the interior wood and found that usually within a few weeks after a few TUNG oil applications that the newer wood is close enough in colour that it doesn't stand out at all. Not quite the same patina but close enough that it blends.

"A lot of Taiwanese trawlers came with satin varnish finish."

Perhaps , but many more were shelack , as all 10 coats could be done in a day.

Epifanes rubbed effect varnish is a good match for origina TT finishes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom