Wet Stringers and balsa core

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aha, so you are! I'm glad that I found this and that another solution exists.

I hope the info I shared during my discovery process helps! I definitely recommend it to anyone who asks

Unless you find where the water is coming from you can pay for all the 'drying out' you want. If the water keeps leaking in the drying is for naught.

It seems the intent ( from the thread hijack) was to buy a boat on the cheap, and see how long it lasted.

Stringers are installed to stiffen an area.

The Shape and bonding area is their key , not the internal content.

Many were simply 1/2 cardboard tubes with the glass on them being the working material.

A soggy deck or hull is a big seal, soggy stringers NOT.

Stringers are installed to stiffen an area.

The Shape and bonding area is their key , not the internal content.

Many were simply 1/2 cardboard tubes with the glass on them being the working material.

A soggy deck or hull is a big seal, soggy stringers NOT.

The owner of this boat with collapsed stringers and his engine sitting in the bottom of his bilge might disagree.

Attachments

• crushed stringer.jpg
    crushed stringer.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
What I learned was both of these people are correct it absolutely depends on Builders design ...sometimes the wood is only there for the fiberglass form and the layers of glass is the structural Integrity other times there only a few layers and the wood to be the structural integrity........BUT IN A SURVEY OR BUY/SELL SITUATION WET STRINGERS ARE NEVER A GOOD THING FOR OWNER BUT ALWAYS A BARGAINING CHIP FOR A BUYER. Of course Insurance may also be an issue if the underwriter feels wet stringers compromises the structural Integrity of the vessel

Gmarr, I see you have Chicago listed next to your name. I did not catch what type, size or breed the boat in question is. Not sure of the estimated cost of having it done....but..

Put her on a trailer and head to Death Valley or some such. Drop the trailer. Leave her in the sun, opened up. Drill ventilation holes as appropriate. She will be dry as a bone in short order. 0% humidity and heat will suck it dry.

That's funny......but exactly how the Dryboat system works except they bring desert dry warm air at low PSI to the vessel....no trailer necessary....unless you are looking for an excuse to trailer a boat to Arizona and stay for a few months

Lol, it's a 34' Express Cruiser AND I do have relatives in Vegas.......hmmmm

See David Pascoe boat reviews, under "Sea Ray and balsa core bottoms" for more info. The Sicilian was lookin' on Yachtworld at a Sea Ray that had too low of a price tag so I did some research to find out why.

unless you are looking for an excuse to trailer a boat to Arizona and stay for a few months

Winter ashore in the NE does as welll.

unless you are looking for an excuse to trailer a boat to Arizona and stay for a few months

Winter ashore in the NE does as welll.

FF, what makes you think months? Heat like Death Valley, easily closed ventilation drilled holes and almost 0% humidity, I give it less than a week. She will be dry as a bone. Stab it with a moisture meter to be sure of course.

That's what the Zonas say when they flock to San Diego for July, August, and September.:lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom