Old 08-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #44
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Also, the second amendment is about a militia being necessary for a free state/country. Well, we have military.
I think you missed out on the last decade or so of case law on this one.

The Supreme Court already found that the right to keep and bear arms is vested in individuals, not the military.

Reference District of Columbia Vs Heller 2008

Regardless of anyones opinion about what is "right" the Supreme Courts ruling settled the issue once and for all.

As to your argument about limiting rights, yes your rights can be limited, so long as the basic right is not infringed on.

Back to the issue of boaters who are traveling through an area... I beleive that eventually the courts will find that individuals have the right to have aboard their floating home any firearm that they might choose to have in their dirt home. This decision will be based on Heller, and all it will take is someone being charged, and wiling to run this through the legal process.

The Supreme court has also found in Heller that while the right to keep and bear arms can be limited, this limitation does not extend to banning all handguns. I believe that this same rational will be applied to semi automatic rifles, but that question has not been asked of the court yet to the best of my knowledge.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote