The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome aboard! What ever you do don't ask about anchors! You'll start a thread that will never end. The answer is always the same, your anchor's too small, it's the wrong kind, and you don't have enough chain.

Welcome Pilou. Since you already know boating, and I shouldn't ask about anchors, then how about, which is best, 2 engines or single screw?

Oh wait, I might have already seen another thread about that one. :facepalm: Nevermind!

Thanks

Welcome Pilou. Since you already know boating, and I shouldn't ask about anchors, then how about, which is best, 2 engines or single screw?

Oh wait, I might have already seen another thread about that one. :facepalm: Nevermind!

Hi CraigC
Thanks for welcome. I prefer twins with bow thruster but it could be another endless topic :banghead: :)
Best wishes
P.

Newbie not new in boating.
Hi to all.

Welcome Pilou. I gather you're in France, but maybe not actually native French. If you are you do English well.

Anyway, we always love to see some pics of your boat, and also, as a moderator, might I make a plea for you to fill out some detail in your profile, which many new members sadly fail to do, and if not done early, never seems to get done.

Cheers, :flowers:

Welcome aboard TF.
Tell us a little about your boat and cruising style.

Welcome Pilou. I gather you're in France, but maybe not actually native French. If you are you do English well.

Anyway, we always love to see some pics of your boat, and also, as a moderator, might I make a plea for you to fill out some detail in your profile, which many new members sadly fail to do, and if not done early, never seems to get done.

Cheers, :flowers:

Hi Pete

I was honored to be welcomed by a moderator, thanks for this and the compliment on my English which was greatly appreciated. Good to see I passed the test, so far. :thumb:

I had lost the old belief know as the French have the limited English language capability then I'm sorry if it may surprise you I'm a native French also my family since centuries.

I'm glad you did stress the importance for each to fulfill his obligations. As for me please be assured that I will fill out details in my profile as my journey in the forum moves forward and goes well.

Bons vœux :)

P.

So then welcome from a second moderator. :) We are pleased to have you with us. (Contrary to popular belief, all of us moderators are really nice people, as well as avid boaters). We hope to hear more from you. Sometimes we get a welcome message from someone checking in for the first time. And then . . . they seem to drop off the face of the earth. I think that perhaps newcomers think that if they are not experts, then they should not chime in. Well, none of us are experts. But the community mind is. So chime in.

So then welcome from a second moderator. :) We are pleased to have you with us. (Contrary to popular belief, all of us moderators are really nice people, as well as avid boaters). We hope to hear more from you. Sometimes we get a welcome message from someone checking in for the first time. And then . . . they seem to drop off the face of the earth. I think that perhaps newcomers think that if they are not experts, then they should not chime in. Well, none of us are experts. But the community mind is. So chime in.

Wow..... 2 "cops" welcomes in 1 day ! Thanks for the guard of honour, I'm blushing ! (Don't feel offended, this was humor...).

John, I am very aware that common beliefs (all kinds of...) die hard. But I do not understand why you would say that about the moderators team which is a topic I have not brought up in MY previous posts. I trust everyone here is friendly, respectful, and pulls together for the greater satisfaction of this forum.

But since you pointed out the topic, let me say a final word about this, in my own opinion only. Even thought I'm a newbie over here, my professional background of (pharmacies) companies owner and manager, my duties at the European Union, my humble volunteer experience in different clubs and groups as well, have told me that the main priority of managers, staff members, mods, is not about to be nice, it's to be just and equitable. The job is not about to be loved, it's about to be valued and respected, at least in my view.

Even though I believe everyone has their own reasons in the dialogue of life, Pete, John, I'm sorry some members never filled out their profiles or dropped "off the face to the earth". But having say that, this is not my problem and concern. I signed in a forum of boaters, not in a human resource forum. Then please let me start my journey over here and share my passion with other people. Or if there is a problem, please be honest and just let me know.

Thank you.

P.

Welcome aboard! What ever you do don't ask about anchors! You'll start a thread that will never end. The answer is always the same, your anchor's too small, it's the wrong kind, and you don't have enough chain.

Quite frankly I'm amused the way your brought this. Thank you.

The adventures and experiences at the anchor are unique, different points of view in anchoring are enriching.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video of the boat, Pilou. Beautiful trawler! I am envious!

I'm not quite sure why she cannot post the video of the boat. Try this and see if it works.

I'm not quite sure why she cannot post the video of the boat. Try this and see if it works.

It's the automatic block to people putting up live links until they have made a certain minimum number of posts, John. In effect, to prove they are bone fide members, and to try to block pure spammers. So nothing personal, just practical. However, yes, you will be fine doing that.

Oh, wow, yes, lovely boat. However, now Pilou has blown her cover as truly French, I will find it hard to resist practising my French on her, like I do with our friend Bugster, in New Caledonia, as I try to prepare for our next visit to Europe to visit family in London, and the unfinished business of wanting to see more of France. :D

Je t'avais prévenu Pilou...:socool:

Last edited:
Mierde! (French for "darn," someone told me.) That's one heck of a nicely appointed yacht. I will work to get my boat (when I get one) looking, maybe slightly, like that... If i can get halfway there I will be thrilled. At least on the inside, especially the fabrics (les fabriques?). I can't speak French but, dang, that's a gorgeous (supere?) boat. I would need a new job though, to be able to afford that kind of a refit. I will go to EU's web site and see if they are hiring! Hope I could telecommute.

Pete, was there ever a "Boat Shopping" sub-forum here? I have always used those for cars. Maybe trawlers are too obscure to warrant that, though.

Pete, was there ever a "Boat Shopping" sub-forum here? I have always used those for cars. Maybe trawlers are too obscure to warrant that, though.

Well, there is the 'Classifieds' section. Does that count..?

Well, not really. I was more thinking along the lines of a sub-forum, central location, where people who are interested in buying a boat could learn about which builders offer which types of features and hull types, form factors, etc., and also about other need-to-know info, such as basic financing and insurance concerns, working with brokers, surveyors, the general evaluation/thought process/approaches that members advise, and other concerns... Right now you can just throw questions out there in various different (existing) sub-forums, but there doesn't seem to be a "boat shopping" or "boat buying" center on TF where members could go to pass along their learnings and experience to help others who might be able to benefit from it, in their buying efforts.

it would also enable those who might be considering selling their boat to connect with others who are on TF to get info about buying that same or similar type of trawler (or other type of boat).

The classifieds seems to have a kind of jumble of info that, while buyers could sift through various boat postings, those "boat for sale" threads are fewer and farther between than other random/misc items, and they don't always go very deep into a buyer-education mode. The individual builder sub-forums are helpful, but again kind of a mish-mash of everything, which is great for casual learning, but a lot of searching and sifting is needed, to find the information that one might be looking for.

Last edited:
Craig, I think what you are after would just be too difficult, but also end up duplicating a lot of what is already on record, but spread over several sections of the forum, and over lengthy periods of time. However, I suggest you think of some of the queries you might have, then try using the 'search' function up the top of the screen. If you have a burning question however, and don't find a relevant thread with the search, then post that query in the general discussion section, and you'll get plenty of help, that I can assure you.

PS, I just suggest you don't ask about anchors, or you might get more than you bargained for. You will definitely find plenty about that subject via a 'search'.:D

Mierde! (French for "darn," someone told me.) That's one heck of a nicely appointed yacht. I will work to get my boat (when I get one) looking, maybe slightly, like that... If i can get halfway there I will be thrilled. At least on the inside, especially the fabrics (les fabriques?). I can't speak French but, dang, that's a gorgeous (supere?) boat. I would need a new job though, to be able to afford that kind of a refit. I will go to EU's web site and see if they are hiring! Hope I could telecommute.

Thank you very much CraigC. Glad you enjoyed the video, I see you already know some of the most important French words therefore you are almost ready to work in any French territories. :thumb:

With your palpable determination and your love of boats I'm pretty sure you will achieve your goal, and soon you would share pictures of your own boat moored in Sausalito or San Rafael Yacht Club.

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." Anatole France (French writer).

It works. Trust me about that.

Best wishes.

P.

Welcome

Gaston :)

Thank you Gaston you live in a beautiful city where I have been twice (many years ago) on my way to and from New Caledonia after I graduated from the medicine and pharmacy college in France. At this time my uncle run a pharmacy and a medical test laboratory in Nouméa where I "cut my teeth".
Nice people there in Sydney. Good memories.
The yacht of my brother's neighbor in the port of Antibes, France.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
It's the automatic block to people putting up live links until they have made a certain minimum number of posts, John. In effect, to prove they are bone fide members, and to try to block pure spammers. So nothing personal, just practical. However, yes, you will be fine doing that.

Oh, wow, yes, lovely boat. However, now Pilou has blown her cover as truly French, I will find it hard to resist practising my French on her, like I do with our friend Bugster, in New Caledonia, as I try to prepare for our next visit to Europe to visit family in London, and the unfinished business of wanting to see more of France. :D

Je t'avais prévenu Pilou...:socool:

"Je t'avais prévenu Pilou.."
Behave Pete ! I have been told from my family that some members here don't like the French...

More seriously, thanks for your "French touch" in words I liked that.

I certainly understand TF must block spammers and take security very seriously.

Sounds good to help you to practice your French, I will send PM. It will be your turn to have an entry test to learning, in a fair fitting reversal of roles. :lol::lol:

Thank you as well for your compliments about the boat which I shall pass on to my family. When do you plan on coming to France ? It would be in your best interests to plan a visit aboard the boat here otherwise I would not hesitate at all to report you to the mods of TF, haha !

Last edited:
"La Nouvelle Caledonie". Did I get that right? I have been there several times, it is well connected by air to Sydney via the flagship carrier, Aircalin (aka Air Calamite, according to a Mauritian born French "pied noir" friend).

"La Nouvelle Caledonie". Did I get that right? I have been there several times, it is well connected by air to Sydney via the flagship carrier, Aircalin (aka Air Calamite, according to a Mauritian born French "pied noir" friend).

My one trip to Noumea was aboard the Pacific Sun cruise liner. Great trip, good place to visit. Particularly enjoyed the 'Little Yellow train' trip round the town and precincts.

Close Bruce, too close for comfort. :D
I wondered if it might bother the filter, clearly not.
Correct spelling is merde. According to Google it is also a cheery encouragement from one French stage performer to another, similar to the English "break a leg". Also not taken literally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom