View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #50
Cottontop

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Alegrķa
Vessel Model: Overblue 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I think there are interesting aspects of the internet and crowd-sourcing that could have been talked about without the attacks about what I'm doing wrong. There is an entire industry set up around these DMCA types of issues. If you're taking part in this discussion but haven't at least Google'd DMCA and read the Wikipedia page, you're not informed.

While you're there, search "fair use" in Wikipedia and really read that. I mean really read it. I think that will show the legal side of this argument. You might not know about these laws and rulings and might not agree with them. But they are the law that we all agree to conform to.

These types of online uses do not follow the rules of college term papers from 1976 (1966?). That's like saying paper charts are better because you used them in 1985. It was a different time with different rules for a different environment.
Does the "fair use" doctrine allow students to make limited copies of another's work for educational purposes? Yes (although without attribution, still plagiarism (which is an ethical problem, not a legal one)).

Does the "fair use" doctrine allow a commercial enterprise to copy a competitor's content for its own benefit? Generally, no.