Solo anchoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any recommendation for wireless anchor remote brands ???

Mine is a Lewmar.

img_253545_0_a03b901566825b857da4368cb59972fa.jpg

Al, you've been hiding that from me.

Yes, Mark. There are a few gizmos and gadgets on FlyWright I don't let some people touch!

Seriously, it's always been there at the lower helm near the base of the radar...probably lost in the mess when you were aboard last.

Got a new dinghy mount solution I'll post about soon on a separate thread.

Hi everyone, new guy here. I searched wireless engine controls and it sent me here. So while not exactly on topic, not completely off target either. I have begun my search/research for a boat (I'm about 3 years out) and since I have been told I'm difficult to live with (really...I don't see it) I anticipate quite a bit of solo travel. My question is if anyone has any experience with wireless engine controls. It seems like they would make docking/locking/anchoring easier for the solo types. Not really looking for gadgets, just reliable tools to make the job safer. Thanks for the input.
P.S. I'm looking at the Great Harbour N series if anyone has specific experience with wireless on one of these.

I anchor out alone quite often. I really like inside helm windlass control which makes it quite easy

Notlong, a recent post came up about this last week, and there were links to various wireless engine controls. I also travel and anchor solo sometimes, so I started thinking about these as well. I have been talking to "yacht controller", out of FL for the past week. There are various manufacturers, but I am currently leaning towards this one. Having newer engines (electronic controls they can tie in to) and other factors need to be considered.

It's hard not to dump your rode right on top of the anchor fouling it easily.

Also it's hard to come up on your anchor to weigh the anchor if the wind is blowing .. w/o using your winch to do it. Most here say that's a no no.

Once the anchor is free you're adrift and vulnerable unless you've got lots of room.

Just a few thoughts in a few minutes.

Fletcher - I looked at them. I like their dual frequency redundancy. I can see me hopping onto the dock, turning around and seeing my ride motor off in the distance because some kid with a R/C boat has highjacked the freq! haha

Notlandlockedforlong,
Wow .. That's a lot of pecking and keeping all the letters right. Perhaps you could post your name .. Al? Make it up. Make it short. I post my real name but some even post their phone numbers. I would'nt do that but a "stage name" should be great. Look at other members "signatures" to get some ideas. Don't know if you can change your Notlandlockedforlong name but I know you can change your "signature".

Also since you're from the US mentioning your state will be a benefit when posting especially in winter. A very high percentage of towns and small cities most of us have never heard of. I don't think anybody cares about the town or city but the state will tell what climate you have and boating is heavily related to climate.

Thanks in advance and not picking on you but trying to get out a heads up to older members.

Last edited:
I'll work on it. Fletcher500 called me "Notlong". I had to laugh (some might say "not long enough") so I might go with that. Currently I reside in KY due to a lapse in judgement, hence the use of the phrase "land locked". If you've ever been to Eastern KY, you'll know why my current locale is not really an indicator of my "sailing climate". Worked for Ingram on the Ohio and I'm not planning on going back. Warm and sunny from now on :)

I have done it often, as others have said it is important to get everything in order before pulling up tho "the spot". Always best to practice a few times out in the open before attempting it in a crowded anchorage.
Good luck

"La Petit Mort" interesting name for a boat!

I'll work on it. Fletcher500 called me "Notlong". I had to laugh (some might say "not long enough") so I might go with that. Currently I reside in KY due to a lapse in judgement, hence the use of the phrase "land locked". If you've ever been to Eastern KY, you'll know why my current locale is not really an indicator of my "sailing climate". Worked for Ingram on the Ohio and I'm not planning on going back. Warm and sunny from now on :)

:lol: My SO, and all her family is from Perry county,a little coal mining village up in the high mountains.Ain't no Walfart within an hour and a half drive.

We choose to to use chain in rocky Maine and the Bahamas coral, but otherwise prefer nylon.

The technique is helped by our method of storing the anchor line , on deck in a loose figure 8 loop. Nothing stinks like mud on the chain , but even the wet nylon has a smell, so its kept on deck.

There is usually a breeze or a current so the boat is simply stopped , the anchor lowered and the line paid out as the boat is blown back, then secured.

You can watch and feel the boat snub to the anchor..

If there is no wind I drop the anchor after tying off the line at the amount of scope desired , then back with a poke of idle , again you will feel the boat snub, after it has pulled the line off the deck.

The AM departure is very easy as with a Hyd capstan there are no load restrictions , no burned brushes or escaping white smoke.

The boat is simply hauled to the anchor , with the momentum breaking out the anchor as we go over the top .

Should more force be required either the hyd is used to lift hard or the line is tied off , and a bit of throttle is used on the secured line , the way the chain / electric folks must do it.

When underway the line is again laid in the figure 8 , so it can dry and be ready for use.

Single handing is no big deal, with a bit of planning and line.

Last edited:
FF wrote;
"If there is no wind I drop the anchor after tying off the line at the amount of scope desired , then back with a poke of idle"

With no wind it sounds like you drop the rode on top of the anchor. Am I reading this right? Can't remember what anchor you use but it would likely open the door to the rode getting tangled in parts of the anchor. Some anchors are rather immune to this but many to most are not. I suspect you've done this a lot and I'm wondering why the anchor dosn't foul the rode.

all chain rode getting tangled in the chain locker

One of the problems of anchoring alone is if you are using all chain. If your by your self and your retrieving anchor a chain pile in the anchor locker can complicate things. Or a chain ball can snag the chain when lowering the anchor on power down.

What I do is try to anchor in no more than 25 feet of water. This means I don't need more than 100 to 125' of chain. If it's really windy. After I anchor I check my locker and make sure the chain is flaked out in the anchor locker and there is plenty of room to retrieve the anchor. I use remote windless controls from the lower helm if it is windy so I am allways in control and safe inside when retrieving the anchor I'm able to idle forward when I hear the windless straining.

If it is not windy, I will use the deck switch and wash the chain as it comes on board. I will let the anchor stay in the water, mabey a foot or so underneath to give it a good wash when I leave the anchorage.

I notice there is a posting on this forum and they talk about anchor chain piling up in the locker.

That's often a sign of an undersized or overloaded anchor locker. With enough drop, the chain should flow easily in and out. If your chain is tangling, it might be rusted or corroded and in need of replacement.

"With no wind it sounds like you drop the rode on top of the anchor.'

Sort of , but it is DRY nylon so hardly sinks very fast and the walk back to the shift lever doesn't take long.

"With no wind it sounds like you drop the rode on top of the anchor.'

Sort of , but it is DRY nylon so hardly sinks very fast and the walk back to the shift lever doesn't take long.

That's what I thought for a long time.
However anchors differ widely on their ability to not snag the rode and make the anchor inoperative. Using an anchor that is immune to this would be a big asset to the solo skipper.
Most anchoring dynamics would not pile the rode in one spot, much less exactly on top of the rode.
And if a skipper waits a few moments before paying out the rode and doing it slowly that would help quite a bit.
Getting the boat moving back w the boats engine, wind or whatever would be a help.
Perhaps lowering the anchor and a nylon rode by hand from the helm window after placing the rode on the walkway beside the wheelhouse.
And if a rode could be pulled out of the locker or off the deck by the boats slowly backing down.

And w a little imagination many more methods could be devised.

Back
Top Bottom