help me identify this boat part/object

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
I found this part in one of the storage cabinets on my boat when i bought it.
Every so often when i am looking for something the part comes back to my mind..

now i need your help..
the previous owner was some sort of diver.
it looks very sturdy and looks like it should be mounted somewhere and something clicks into the black clip...

what is this?

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 62
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 61
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 67
it kinds sorta looks like an outboard motor mount, but not quite???

What's the prize here, Per?* Not knowing the size makes it a litte difficult.* However, my best guess is that it is a mount for a removable downrigger.

Down Rigger bracket. Probably a Cannon or Scotty.

i was hoping it was a o/b mount but dont think so..

outrigger? perhaps but why is the wood sandwiching whatever it bolts onto?

the size is apprx 10 inches, size of a six pack but only perhaps 2 inches thick.

I concur with it being a downrigger bracket. Not a Scotty however. Penn or Canon???

Per wrote:

i was hoping it was a o/b mount but dont think so..

outrigger? perhaps but why is the wood sandwiching whatever it bolts onto?

the size is apprx 10 inches, size of a six pack but only perhaps 2 inches thick.
Per, you have us guessing, but I think the wood "sandwich" could be a clamp that probably clamped over a rail intersection.

Downrigger bracket.

thanks everybody, guess it is a real mystery as i do not have downriggers on my boat.
it is possible that the PO had it from a different boat or perhaps was considering to install downriggers.

appreciate everyone' help, thank you.

Downrigger bracket

superdiver wrote:

Scotty Downrigger mounts...
Nope, this is a Scotty mount!

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 04:13:05 PM

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 04:15:37 PM

Willy wrote:

Carey wrote:superdiver wrote:
Scotty Downrigger mounts...
Nope, this is a Scotty mount!
-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 04:13:05 PM

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 04:15:37 PM
Yup this is a Scotty down rigger mount for the Elecrtic swing mount.

I belive the*other is the old style Scotty mount*for the manual wind up model. I actualy still have and use on the tender. But it could be from one of the other manufacturers.

Bellow is the new style of same from Scotty. The actual downrigger slips into that mount and locks in.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/downrigger-mounting-systems/compact-manual-mount.htm

Willy

Both my electrics for the big boat, and the manual for my dinghy use the same mount. One of us apparently has the newer version.

Carey wrote:

Both my electrics for the big boat, and the manual for my dinghy use the same mount. One of us apparently has the newer version.

you have an outrigger on your dinghy?

what for??

Per wrote:Carey wrote:

what for??
Downrigger, not outrigger. They are used for getting your bait or lure to a specified depth.

Quick mount for the Cannon downrigger. I had a couple on a previous outboard fishing boat. a previous owner must have been a fisherman, I'd bet the teak pieces clamped it onto a handrail so the weight could be lowered over the side near the stern.
Steve W

Whenever I want to find out what a gizmo is for that I have been storing for years, I throw it away.* Within a week, I need exactly that component and the mystery is solved.

Murphy's Law, 2nd Corollary.

All this talk about cannons, quick mounts, and outriggers on your dinghy-----this thread ought to be moved to OTDE!
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:

All this talk about cannons, quick mounts, and outriggers on your dinghy-----this thread ought to be moved to OTDE!
biggrin.gif
Good call Don!!! *
no.gif

Carey wrote:

Per wrote:Carey wrote:

what for??
Downrigger, not outrigger. They are used for getting your bait or lure to a specified depth.

this is why i dont call myself a fisherman..
no.gif

though one of my motivations for owning a boat is the fishing.

After rereading your description of this unknown thing, you said that it's about the size of a six pack approx 10 inch square. Pretty large for any downrigger that I have ever seen. I've got a new idea as to what this detatchable bracket might be. It's a mount for a removable seat in a small runabout boat. I think that this seat mount will snap right in!

Attachments

• seat mount.jpg
    seat mount.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 53
Rob wrote:

After rereading your description of this unknown thing, you said that it's about the size of a six pack approx 10 inch square. Pretty large for any downrigger that I have ever seen. I've got a new idea as to what this detatchable bracket might be. It's a mount for a removable seat in a small runabout boat. I think that this seat mount will snap right in!
I beg to differ. It is as already determined, a Cannon downrigger base. I suspect that the 10" dimension given was in error. Perhaps with the wood, it may reach 10". Look at Moonstruck's photo on page two of this thread. It is clearly identifiable.

What you show in your photo is not for a removable seat. It looks more like a Lazy Susan assembly.

-- Edited by Carey on Saturday 19th of March 2011 06:29:45 PM

-- Edited by Carey on Saturday 19th of March 2011 06:36:41 PM

i think you are right Carey, they wood backing is probably 10 inches, not the bracket itself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom