taking courses: USPS or CG Aux courses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
charles wrote:

Chapman's and the second most valuable book is Nigel Calder's BOAT OWNERS ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL MANUAL
I could not agree more.* That book is amazing, I learn something every time I open it.* No matter what the problem I'm working on, if I need to understand how something is designed to work, Calders book solves the mystery. He has a gift for explaining complex technical subjects in a way that folks with limited mechanical or electrical background can understand.* Once you understand how something works, it's easy to figure out why it doesn't .....................Arctic Traveller

Per wrote:

Need to be prepared, training and some sort of "internal" map of what to do in each situation.
I have a lot of aviation training, here we constantly train for every possible emergency so when it happens, even if you go in panic mode, your trained part of your brain takes over and does what it has been trained.
You are totally correct.* This is why the USCG requires professional mariners to repeatedly practice drills such as fire fighting, man overboard recovery, abandon ship, flooding control and more.* Do it enough times, and if the real thing happens, you have a great chance of reacting by instinct.* (By the way, we do these drills in our live aboard courses)................Arctic Traveller

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom