Slow drip in salon, near A/C vent - 390 Mainship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings all. I am new to this forum - hope this is not a stupid question. My father owns a Mainship 390 that he keeps in Cordova, AK. He is on the boat now (I join him in two weeks) and he noticed a small drip coming from the left side of the A/C vent (located at the rear of the cabin, above the battery selection/fuze panel). He is having a hard time finding the source. Appreciate any information or insight.

Thanks

Bob

Bob, First locate the evaporator unit. The one where thecold air is formed. Somewhere around there should be a Drain Hose. Mine are clear-ish. Connects to the drip pan under the evaporator coils and takes the condensate away. Maybe overboard, maybe to the bilge, maybe to a shower pump sump. No matter where it goes must be cleared to drain freely. Check that hose first also if you can see in the pan see if it is full or just moist. Frequently this hose stops up and causes overflow to somewhere undesirable. OR could just be cold duct condensing warm moist air. harder to solve that one. I think insulation in the right place is the only fix for that. Is the condensate forming on the vent diffuser (grill -Louvers.) or traveling through the Duct?
Does it drip no matter how long the unit runs?
Did the problem just develop or has it been long term issue?
Good luck, Dave

Dave, thanks for the quick reply. To be honest, I don't think the boat is even equipped with actual A/C - just has the ductwork. So, don't think it is a condenser/condensation problem. My father believes that rain water (a lot of that in Cordova) is somehow seeping in from the outside, but he cannot find where that would be.

I think it is a short term issue - will confirm if my father can see anything coming from inside the duct (vice condensation forming on the grill levers).

and thanks again for the quick reply!

Bob

Dave - just confirmed that the water is coming from inside the vent, but cannot determine where it is originating.

While I'm not aware of any frequent Mainship issues, obviously any place on the upper deck that is getting wet and has fittings or other perforations can be a source during rain. Is the Flybridge covered/enclosed? Ensure the railing stanchions and mast base are properly bedded. Also, ensure the two upper deck drains are clear and flowing. I actually had the port side one plug up, and then, to make matters worse, the deck perforation between upper and lower fiberglass was not sealed. So water was running around the void spaces of the upper deck core! :mad:

Good luck.:)

OOOH. I never would have guessed the AC not running. Mine goes 24/ while i am on it. Yeah what Phyrcooler said. JUst have to slither around to find the duct and seal whatever could be leaking. May be under seating or storage lockers. Good luck.

Thanks Gents.

Dave - not much need for A/C in Cordova Alaska. The heater, on the other hand, runs quite frequently!

Mainship was notorious for not bedding their hand rail stanchions correctly. I would look there if all else fails.

Possible leak source

Check the drain tube that is used to drain water from the storage area under the flybridge bench seats. Poorly designed, there is a tube that is just siliconed on both inside the storage tub and out to the flybridge deck. This is a common source of ceiling leaks in the 390!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom