Greetings from the Canadian PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hi all! I have been reading this forum for a long time but not actively participated or very much…this is my only 3rd post and I thought I should introduce myself. Sadly, I am currently am “boatless” having sold my 21’ powerboat this spring. We (my wife and I) are in the saving phase of our boating career and hope to buy our first trawler within two years, we will be working with budget of approximately 100K and we are sure to be turning to these forums for some advice and help from the veterans when the time come to take the big plunge. We live in the Canadian Pacific Northwest…obviously some of the best coastal cruising in the world!
While a long way from seasoned cruisers we are “boat people” at heart and have both been around boats a lot. My mother and her husband are LONG time ICW veterans spending their winters in the Abacos regions of the Bahamas, they leave their boat in Florida now but have done the journey between Ottawa and the Bahamas over 15 times. Their ferrocement trawler, the Sheena II is well known in the Abacos boating community. My wife’s father is a second generation boat builder and a former boatyard owner so boating is in her blood as well…
We look forward to participating in these forums and taking the big 100K plunge soon!

"We live in the Canadian Pacific Northwest..."

Actually...south coast BC...pet peeve!

Welcome aboard, from BC's north coast!

Scott, well you certainly live in a great place to be a trawler owner. Right to the West of you is some of the best boating in the world and you will have ready access to it.

Scott,

Don't quit dreaming....we are on day 131 of our first cruise. Next one will be to Alaska....then....we figure that out after the next one.

Cheers!

Hi Scott,
My wife and I took the plunge last December down under and are really enjoying the experience. We are planning to come up your way next June for a Charter out of Anacortes - the best way to enjoy trawlers without the need to trawl the distance!

"We live in the Canadian Pacific Northwest..."

Actually...south coast BC...pet peeve!

Welcome aboard, from BC's north coast!

Fair enough. I get so used to this area being referred to the PNW by our southern neighbours...I stand corrected.

Hi Scott,
My wife and I took the plunge last December down under and are really enjoying the experience. We are planning to come up your way next June for a Charter out of Anacortes - the best way to enjoy trawlers without the need to trawl the distance!

Glad to hear it...I am sure you will have an great time!

Welcome.

I am guilty of referring to these cruising grounds as the PNW. US citizens tend to be a bit self centered in our geographical thinking (why are US citizens referred to as "Americans"? Last I checked Canadians and Mexicans shared this North American continent.) MurrayM makes a very good point.

I have slowly tried to adopt the term "Salish Sea" for my cruising grounds. It actually is exceedingly accurate. In general, the Salish Sea includes waters that experience the tidal flood from waters through the Juan De Fuca Strait. So far I have never in my lifetime cruised outside of the Salish Sea and have no real plans to do so.

Mod:

Can you change the thread title to present an accurate Geographical reference?

ie: "from the BC South Coast"

As long as you're on the beach you are in the Pacific Northwest.
Step into or venture onto the water, it's the Northeastern Pacific
Ocean.:lol::hide:

Ted

Sorry, I blew that one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom