Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have steel angle brackets with shims bolted to a steel 6' bracket that is bolted to the keel's. There are two mounts on the transmission and two one the front of the motor.

Oh boy! I remember those days! I sanded for 4-1/2 months straight on my hull. Fill, fair, fill, fair! I didn't think it would ever end. Eventually I got to the point where I'd had enough and it looked Ok.

img_463903_0_579f693b73ad48880aa656edac602f60.jpg

Sure looks pretty when you get it into the primer stage!

Carry on Matt! Looking good!

Hi folks.
Having found a new job a couple of weeks ago I'm now finding myself knackered at the end of the day and haven't been to my baby as much as I'd like. I did manage to get down yesterday and today and made a little advancement. No work this weekend for her either because I had a cortisone injection in my L5 Right Nerve Root so need to take it easy so it will work.

Ok well that's all. Hope you're well.

Cheers, Hendo :)

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398291.115006.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398334.701043.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398348.352680.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398362.188674.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398374.573142.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398406.245382.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398416.563688.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398428.213526.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398471.318464.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470398499.231143.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Howdy Mate - Glad ta see yr still up n' runnen. Twas beginning to get concerned with so long since last post. Rest and enjoy! - Art

OOOOH yes Matt, rest up and heal. Solstice will wait patiently for your return. As will we who follow and those who contribute.
Dave.

Matt I know your lying now! Your having an Olympic party and didn't invite us? Jk, a little rest does the body good

Hi folks.
Having found a new job a couple of weeks ago I'm now finding myself knackered at the end of the day and haven't been to my baby as much as I'd like. I did manage to get down yesterday and today and made a little advancement. No work this weekend for her either because I had a cortisone injection in my L5 Right Nerve Root so need to take it easy so it will work.

Ok well that's all. Hope you're well.

Cheers, Hendo :)

Hey Matt
Good luck with the L5 situation. I know how bad that sciatic nerve referred pain gets. I had L5 injection in March, but on left side. Slow but steady improvement and after about 5 weeks I was pretty much back to normal. I reckon riding the bicycle a bit was a big help too, as it kinda works all the muscles and ligaments in the area.

Hey Matt
Good luck with the L5 situation. I know how bad that sciatic nerve referred pain gets. I had L5 injection in March, but on left side. Slow but steady improvement and after about 5 weeks I was pretty much back to normal. I reckon riding the bicycle a bit was a big help too, as it kinda works all the muscles and ligaments in the area.

Hey mate. Yeah yesterday I had my Right L5. Next week I get my Left L5 done. The MRI shows a narrowing of the spine around the L5 and is pinching the nerves. Feel really good today but Flic is making sure I'm behaving and not doing anything for a couple of days. Lots of physio and strengthening of the core should help apparently but they can't fix my issue, just treat

Hope you continue to improve mate

Last edited:
Matt I know your lying now! Your having an Olympic party and didn't invite us? Jk, a little rest does the body good

Haha yeah watched the opening ceremony and had a cheer when the Aussie walked out. Had a laugh when I saw what they were wearing haha. Hope we do better than the wardrobe designers did.

The space between the L5, and the S1 vertebra located immediately below, is where much back movement occurs, and therefore much wear and tear. I`ve had a disc lesion at the L5/S1 level for years, impinging the left S1 nerve root. Narrowing comes from the injured disc between the vertebrae being forced out of place,it then presses on nerve roots. Regular year swimming has been my management tool, building back muscle strength, to hold everything together. You are supported in the water while swimming, thus avoiding loading injury areas. Anything to get rid of referred sciatic leg pain!
Hope it goes well for both of you. Work at conservative long term management, avoid the knife if at all possible.

Bruce
Good explanation. In my case the L5/S1 area was stressed by working on the boat. I was on the flybridge, hand sanding the teak at the base of the windscreen. Lots of sitting prone and twisting, kinda jerking while sanding. No immediate issues, but some muscles issues that the physio worked on. Then the referred pain hell - pretty much lost Feb/Mar this year. Back of knee, calf 'cramp' type pain, and later numbness down left foot and little toe. MRI confirmed issue, and surgeon figured steroid injection was worth a shot in may case as I had likely just pinched the nerve rather than suffered from long term disc damage. I am delighted with results I can tell you. Surgeon says very unlikely I will need to o back to him.

Matt
Doing both sides sounds pretty ominous. Hope your new job will not stress the area. Not sure whether you have had much referred pain but trust me, you don't want it. I'm 64, but you're young. Make some changes to what work you do if need be, but really look after your back from now on. Solstice needs you in good nick, and there are heaps of big fish waiting for you. Don't let some back issues screw things up longer term mate.

Right, orthopaedic lesson over...(well done guys, by the way - I couldn't have described/explained it better myself), but...now back to buggering your back Matt...I mean sanding the damn boat...just go easy, ok..?

"Fair" is a pliable word. You can fair the sides of tour boat. Or, you can go to a fair. Some times it is a fair day. A woman's skin can be described as fair. Could be that the cost of something is fair. Might barter for fair trade on items. People can have fair hair. - And On and On..... fairly to oblivion!

So, it is fair to say that one thing as important as fairly well fairing your boat is for you to be sure to give your back fair time to heal before you find yourself flat on your bed trying to find a fair way to convince yourself that it was fair to trade health for sanding boat sides to fair, a fair way too early, before your back told you it was feeling a fair bit better!!

To be fair about this post: I must tell you that both my son and I have had basically unfair circumstances happen to our backs over the years, both his and mine occurring a fair ways ago.

To be fair about it all, I just gotta say, Life taint always fair!

Therefore I recommend you be fair to yourself and Flic by taking a fair amount of time to recover fairly well before attacking SOLSTICE fairing that will effect a fair manner of extra stress on your back before it has had fair time to heal.

What I say is only "Fair" and for you to take time to heal fairly fully is also very "Fair"! :dance: :thumb:

Last edited:
"Fair" is a pliable word. You can fair the sides of tour boat. Or, you can go to a fair. Some times it is a fair day. A woman's skin can be described as fair. Could be that the cost of something is fair. Might barter for fair trade on items. People can have fair hair. - And On and On..... fairly to oblivion!

So, it is fair to say that one thing as important as fairly well fairing your boat is for you to be sure to give your back fair time to heal before you find yourself flat on your bed trying to find a fair way to convince yourself that it was fair to trade health for sanding boat sides to fair, a fair way too early, before your back told you it was feeling a fair bit better!!

To be fair about this post: I must tell you that both my son and I have had basically unfair circumstances happen to our backs over the years, both his and mine occurring a fair ways ago.

To be fair about it all, I just gotta say, Life taint always fair!

Therefore I recommend you be fair to yourself and Flic by taking a fair amount of time to recover fairly well before attacking SOLSTICE fairing that will effect a fair manner of extra stress on your back before it has had fair time to heal.

What I say is only "Fair" and for you to take time to heal fairly fully is also very "Fair"! :dance: :thumb:

Lol you're a goose

I'll be right mate. Thanks for your concern tho.

Being a contractor I do more physical work in my day job being on the tools as a carpenter than I do sanding SOLSTICE but can't take time off. No work no pay :)

I do have weekly physio appointments and only plan to do a couple days of sanding per week so I am behaving.

:)

Right, orthopaedic lesson over...(well done guys, by the way - I couldn't have described/explained it better myself), but...now back to buggering your back Matt...I mean sanding the damn boat...just go easy, ok..?

Yeah mate all good ;-)

This afternoons efforts. Scaff moved fwd now it's time to sleeve the port hole opening before glassing and filling. Last section to be done then I can barrier coat the filler with epoxy then spray high build primer on the entire Starboard side of SOLSTICE before moving to the Port side. Bit of an achievement to celebrate with a BBQ party at the boat I reckon

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825310.954382.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825321.253464.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825331.489640.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825342.226899.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825352.560534.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825368.480308.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825377.147431.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825387.231855.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825395.948059.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825411.800571.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470825432.771508.jpg

Matt me bro... Real good achievement with your standard nice photos to show it for our viewing! BBQ a couple burgers for me! :thumb: - Art :D

Popped down to make sure the tarps are all good for tonight's storm and while I was there I made, fitted and epoxy glued the last porthole of the starboard side. Tomorrow I'll fibreglass it in place before continuing with the fairing then barrier coating and priming woohoo so excited about that

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471425192.959716.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471425203.058610.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471425213.632441.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471425225.128255.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471425235.761474.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471425245.820156.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471425255.866100.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471425270.217079.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471425281.751866.jpg

Portholes.....................Done
Hell yea!

You keep screwing around with her pretty eyes and soon she's gonna want more expensive mascara! Keep her going bro! :thumb:

BTW, noticed you have side winder power saw showing in one photo... in Australia you guys use worm drive power saws too?? More powerful and accurate - IMO Skil Worm Drive Skilsaw, 120V, 7-1/4 in. dia. SPT77W-01 | Zoro

Screwing around lol. Mate you know I have no plans so technically there's nothing to screw around with lol.

No mate I haven't seen a worm drive saw.

I use a Makita 7-1/4" circular saw which I'm sure y'all have over there too yeh?

Screwing around lol. Mate you know I have no plans so technically there's nothing to screw around with lol.

No mate I haven't seen a worm drive saw.

I use a Makita 7-1/4" circular saw which I'm sure y'all have over there too yeh?

IMO - Circular saw compared to a worm drive saw is similar to a hand saw compared to a circular saw... well maybe not quite that pronounced - LOL. But, no shat... you should get your hands on a good worm drive baby - I believe you will be impressed at the extra power and precision and maneuverability!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom