survey over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captwill

Veteran Member
The survey was completed yesterday and for the most part went better than expected. The boat is a 1980 Cheer Men 38PT, not a Marine Trader as first thought. My concerns going into the survey were decks and hull. The original teak decks were covered with glass several years ago. The glass is still tight and bonded well to the teak. A few place at the edges has begone to crack. Certain it could be cured by grinding out and re-glassing. The haul out was a pleasant surprise. The running gear is all sound and the hull looks brand new. There were only a half dozen quarter sized blisters on the starboard side of the keel. So my concerns about the hull and deck were for the most part taken care of.

The one issue is the sanitary system. The forward head was originally piped via a Y to directly overboard or to a holding tank. It is now goes directly overboard. The original holding tank wasted out and has been disconnected. The aft head is piped via a Y to directly overboard or to an Electroscan system. I am a bit suspect of the Electroscan's efficiency as there is no salt tank and at best the water in New Bern is brackish. There is a steel tank outboard on the starboard side of the aft stateroom that doesn't appear to be connected to anything. I suspect at one time it may have been a holding tank for the aft head. (if anyone has insight into what this tank was, I would appreciate it) So it looks like a redesign of the sanitary system will be required.

The engine was replaced in kind with a refurbished 120 Ford Lehman last year and has 12 hours of running time. The kubota 10kw ran fine and is more than enough to handle the loads.

Ground tackle, mooring gear, electronics and galley equipment are all recent, not new, but serviceable.

Rob Eberle of Eberle Marine did an outstanding job and I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a quality surveyor.

So now we wait for Rob's report, due Tuesday, to make the decision to purchase.... or not.

Your response to the survey is like a breath of fresh air compared to many prospective owners.

What you appear to have done is to look at a few decades old boat very realistically, and will I'm sure make a good decision with the survey information.

This is in contrast to the unrealistic expectations most folks in your position have regarding a 30-40 year old boat. They seem to want everything perfect, in effect a new boat at a used boat price

Bravo and happy boating!!

Bayview..... no intention of using the forward tank as it is obviously severely wasted and will need to be replaced. There maybe sufficient space for a replacement tank without removing the old wasted tank. As for the after tank, I will need to remove some joinery to get a better look at the tank.

Ksanders ... thanks.... may I have your permission to tell my wife you think I am being realistic?

The survey was completed yesterday and for the most part went better than expected. The boat is a 1980 Cheer Men 38PT, not a Marine Trader as first thought. My concerns going into the survey were decks and hull. The original teak decks were covered with glass several years ago. The glass is still tight and bonded well to the teak. A few place at the edges has begone to crack. Certain it could be cured by grinding out and re-glassing. The haul out was a pleasant surprise. The running gear is all sound and the hull looks brand new. There were only a half dozen quarter sized blisters on the starboard side of the keel. So my concerns about the hull and deck were for the most part taken care of.

The one issue is the sanitary system. The forward head was originally piped via a Y to directly overboard or to a holding tank. It is now goes directly overboard. The original holding tank wasted out and has been disconnected. The aft head is piped via a Y to directly overboard or to an Electroscan system. I am a bit suspect of the Electroscan's efficiency as there is no salt tank and at best the water in New Bern is brackish. There is a steel tank outboard on the starboard side of the aft stateroom that doesn't appear to be connected to anything. I suspect at one time it may have been a holding tank for the aft head. (if anyone has insight into what this tank was, I would appreciate it) So it looks like a redesign of the sanitary system will be required.

The engine was replaced in kind with a refurbished 120 Ford Lehman last year and has 12 hours of running time. The kubota 10kw ran fine and is more than enough to handle the loads.

Ground tackle, mooring gear, electronics and galley equipment are all recent, not new, but serviceable.

Rob Eberle of Eberle Marine did an outstanding job and I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a quality surveyor.

So now we wait for Rob's report, due Tuesday, to make the decision to purchase.... or not.

Rob is excellent and fair. He surveyed my boat when I sold it. I knew the boat extremely well and had already disclosed any issues, all of which were moderate at worst. None of his findings were off the wall or unreasonable and were all things that the buyer should be aware of. Granted the boat was in beautiful condition. You are in good hands; I wouldn't hesitate to use him for our next purchase.

Regards not having a salt tank for the Electrosan, simply use a cup of salt with each flush. It's easier, less of a hassle trying to keep the salt tank full, and I always know how much salt is getting mixed with waster material.

Regards not having a salt tank for the Electrosan, simply use a cup of salt with each flush. It's easier, less of a hassle trying to keep the salt tank full, and I always know how much salt is getting mixed with waster material.

A cup of salt each flush?
Are you referring to every time you use the head? You'd need a 50# bag next to head.

And check the bag of salt, depending on what kind you get. If generic solar salt, it might have white pebbles in it that looks just like salt.

Your toilets will thank you...

I had to rebuild 2 macerators in one year because of using the handful method.

And using the hand method, I was using wayyyyy more salt than required. I even bought a refractometer to check salinity when traveling from salt to brackish to fresh, etc. Now I never get faults, only "ready to flush" happy face messages on the display...:)

I went with the salt tank and am very glad I did...after re-engineering it with superb coaching and information from Kevin Sanders.....:thumb:

Last edited:
And check the bag of salt, depending on what kind you get. If generic solar salt, it might have white pebbles in it that looks just like salt.

Your toilets will thank you...

I had to rebuild 2 macerators in one year because of using the handful method.

And using the hand method, I was using wayyyyy more salt than required. I even bought a refractometer to check salinity when traveling from salt to brackish to fresh, etc. Now I never get faults, only "ready to flush" happy face messages on the display...:)

I went with the salt tank and am very glad I did...after re-engineering it with superb coaching and information from Kevin Sanders.....:thumb:

Thanks!!! :)

My salt tank mod has been working for a year now I think.

All I do is add salt to the tank every once in awhile. :blush:

Thanks!!! :)

My salt tank mod has been working for a year now I think.

All I do is add salt to the tank every once in awhile. :blush:
Kevin...update on me....

On my trip back from Florida, the Electroscan died.

All the tests finally pointed towards bad plates.

I always thought my unit wasn't working great because it needed so much salt to work in pretty much salt water.

The new plates work like a champ.

I am now only adding salt every other month or more. As opposed to 2x per WEEK!

That's the good news, the bad news is I still have 4, 40 pound bags of salt stored in the engine room that always seem to be in my way!!!! :eek: .....at this rate I won't need any before and throughout the first part of my winter trip!

I went from thinking the Electroscan was a pretty mediocre system to one that actually seems to do what it is advertised to do. I just hope that the original plates were a fluke and these and all other replacements act like the ones I have now.

Kevin...update on me....

On my trip back from Florida, the Electroscan died.

All the tests finally pointed towards bad plates.

I always thought my unit wasn't working great because it needed so much salt to work in pretty much salt water.

The new plates work like a champ.

I am now only adding salt every other month or more. As opposed to 2x per WEEK!

That's the good news, the bad news is I still have 4, 40 pound bags of salt stored in the engine room that always seem to be in my way!!!! :eek: .....at this rate I won't need any before and throughout the first part of my winter trip!

I went from thinking the Electroscan was a pretty mediocre system to one that actually seems to do what it is advertised to do. I just hope that the original plates were a fluke and these and all other replacements act like the ones I have now.

With two people onboard, fresh water flush, and no attempt to be conservative we go through about 1/3 of a 40 lb bag in a week of full time cruising, with pretty much no pottying anywhere except the boat.

I use a salt water flush...big difference, and living aboard, we just use and flush if a smell starts.

Hardly any usage till I start cruising.

A cup of salt each flush?
Are you referring to every time you use the head? You'd need a 50# bag next to head.

Typo on my part, I usually used about a 1/4 cup of salt in fresh water in my Crown heads. When we were cruising the Mexican coast I used the Electrosan in marinas (legal there). Some were in brackish water and we used the salt to keep from getting a yellow light. Used my holding tank in anchorages and dumped overboard when we were 8 to 10 miles out to sea. Never used it enough to really go through that much salt.

We are back in the California Delta and our marina has a pump out system at the dock so we haven't used the Electrosan in a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom