View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #13
Clear Image
City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Clear Image
Vessel Model: Overseas PT 42
Smile Have Clear Image in Long Beach, CA

I am now an Overseas PT 42 owner. Thanks for all the info and data on the boat. It helped in getting the purchase completed and now is assisting me in getting the boat back into shape.
My first two unexpected operating problems happened two months apart, but were essentially the same failure. Within a week of having the boat, the starboard engine exhaust pipe broke at the weld joint on the last 90 degree elbow. Corrosion at the weld appears to be what caused the break. The pipe looks to be original and over 28 years, it simply broke. Had it cleaned and rewelded. Seems to be holding up well.
Just 10 weeks later, the port engine exhaust pipe failed at the exact same spot--weld joint on the last 90 degree elbow. Have now had it rewelded.
Did not see either problem developing. Each pipe was wrapped in exhaust tape to insulate the pipe.
But, will soon test the engine again soon.
I did remove the mechanical fuel injectors. Took them to a company that cleans and refurbishes fuel injectors. They have been in business since 1986. Got a call from them, they could not identify the injector with their reference books and did not have the flow specs to check fuel flow. So I have them back to soak, clean and reinstall in the engine.
looking forward to my next day on the water--under power.
Clear Image is offline   Reply With Quote