Teak Deck thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a marine business. The frp will not hold up. seams and edges will eventually leak creating a biosphere within the teak. Panels will crack, etc.

Lepke: great to have input from someone with your experience. Is there a product other than FRP that could be prepped off-boat and installed over old teak....even if ultimate fairing and finishing still had to happen aboard?

May I suggest that FF is partially right... up at the bow where the "pattern" of the individual "planks" curves to meet near center-line - the teak is a wide single plank...

Notice that I sanded through the faux caulk line...

Maybe i'll grab a sharpie and pen-in the caulk lines - I wont be routing in a fake caulk line.

Teak decks are installed in individual strips .

In theory yes , however to speed installation of the overlay some builders would take wide boards route calking strips and have hundreds of plugs installed for "the look"

A very large board would have perhaps a dozen real mounting screws , and some goop under those screw holes.

Mostly depends on the week the boat was built.

Attachments

• 2016-05-30 14.20.09.jpg
    2016-05-30 14.20.09.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 50
Seen many patch up glass over teak never seen a good one and when it come to selling its takes $1000s off the asking price and scares most others away.

"Do it once do it right "

Appreciate the tried-and-proven approaches. I think the OP and others on this thread are just re-visiting to see if new materials/technologies have thrown up any alternate approaches that are worth considering

" I think the OP and others on this thread are just re-visiting to see if new materials/technologies have thrown up any alternate approaches that are worth considering"

For a sound vessel long term the roofing shovel still cant be beat.

My post #25 was before I'd had time to more fully review many posts on this thread. Being that fiberglass overlay on teak deck was the main thread premise my post was regarding insight for creating "staple fastening system" regarding a whole new resin saturated, woven-fabric installation with gel coat layer. Daunting task to be sure!

Not that I have done this on boat teak-deck before, but having used their resilient, flexible, waterproof (and expensive) products for construction coatings... I would look closely into polymer enhanced products by Super-Krete Super-Krete | Concrete Products | Concrete Repair Products - Super-Krete

Their tenacious-hold coating products are expensive, but, application has been relatively easy and quick.

Just a thought!

Happy Deck-Coating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom