Exhaust elbow/mixer gaskets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
I just got a set of new elbows and mixers for my Yanmar 4LHAs. They came with metal gaskets. There is a 90 degree elbow that attaches to the turbo with a V-Clamp, it attaches to the mixer elbow, also with a V-Clamp.

When I pulled the old elbows for inspection I didn't notice any gaskets and reassembled them, at the advice of the forum, using permatex red.

Should I use the included gaskets with the new elbows, permatex or both?

Thanks

Use the new gaskets.

In theory you shouldn't need to use sealant. But if you do use it sparingly.

As I was taught by master aircraft mechanics, put a dollop between your thumb and index finger and work the gasket through the goop to form a very thin layer as you pinch your fingers against the gasket. You don't need much.

It's easier to do than to describe.

My engine epert tells me that it's metal to metal for turbo vee-band connections and that is my experience as well.

Here is his cut on it......

"Most V-band turbo clamps are metal to metal with no gasket of any kind. The seal relies on perfect alignment and good condition of the mating surfaces.

If there is minor leakage, the mating surfaces can be sealed with a magic sauce called Fuchs 762 (I believe it is also sold in the US by Silkolene with the same number.

As far as the supplied gasket is concerned I would ask the supplier whey they include it. Perhaps it is intended for use on very corroded faces.

I certainly would never us any kind of silicone seal of any color."

Back
Top Bottom