Changing oil coolers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
I got some new oil coolers from American Diesel last week and will be installing them next weekend. it looks pretty straight forward but I thought I'd ask here if you have any recommendations. I'm wondering if I should put something on the treads of the oil lines to seal them (teflon or some kind of silicon sealer?).

i changed them all on my lehman and i did not use any teflon tape, i prefer using special sealer specialy made for oil and diesel. So far there are no leak.Just be sure not to put to much on the fitting.

Yeah. *I would check with the manufacturer of the coolers.

*Ya just can't go wrong with their advice.*

If any one knows it would be them.

SD

Use a specialty liquid sealant such as one of the Loctite products.

Benn

Larry M wrote:

Rectorseal #7
I think that my doctor prescribed that for my rear end. Oops, misread the spelling.

biggrin.gif

dwhatty wrote:

Larry M wrote:

Rectorseal #7
I think that my doctor prescribed that for my rear end. Oops, misread the spelling.
Got a good laugh out of this one!

Septembre that is another great profile pic!! Where is that? Where are you now?

Just talked to American Diesel and they said to put nothing, just thight them good. A bit surprising.

Fotoman wrote:

Just talked to American Diesel and they said to put nothing, just thight them good. A bit surprising.
I'm surprised myself.*
confuse.gif
* We have a Ford Lehman SP135.* The fitting going into the coolers is a male N.P.T. *to 45 degree SAE flare.* The oil/transmission lines, connect to the 45 degree SAE flare where I use nothing but I do use RectorSeal #7 or equivalent on the N.P.T. as it threads into the cooler itself.

Mark,that picture was taken on lake champlain(Vermont) in front of our camp.....last summer.

-- Edited by septembre on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 05:33:57 PM

Claude can you e-mail that pic to me?

Back
Top Bottom