Cruise Ship Lifeboat Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
I was walking the decks of a cruise ship and noticed what appear to be hand rails below the waterline of their lifeboats. Is this a toe rail to help climb in, or is it there in the event that it turns turtle?

Some of them even had zincs as well, which is odd since they didn't appear to be grounded (exterior at least) perhaps there is an inside ground line. Seems to me that if it was insulated by the hull and all aluminum, no zinc should be needed.

Yes to the railings. If it turns turtle that allows handholds and/or locations to secure yourself can also be used for all the items you noted. Without a pic. of the actual boat and knowing the building materials it is hard to say anything about the zincs. Are you sure it was an aluminum hull ? What is the aluminum hull insulating ?

Ok, here is an image of the underneath of the lifeboats.

They have fiberglass hulls, not aluminum.

Also they had a mix of mono-hull and catamaran hulled lifeboats.

THe last photo shows a catamaran and if you look closely, you'll see what appears to be a shaft zinc secured to the 'hand rail' like thing...

Stu

Attachments

• 2016-07-24 17.21.30.jpg
    2016-07-24 17.21.30.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 2016-07-24 17.30.15.jpg
    2016-07-24 17.30.15.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
The catamaran types are also used as tenders, where the ship can't dock, so the need for zincs as these are used much more frequently than the true lifeboats.

Or maybe its the other way around, ie maybe mono-hulls are used for tenders??

Or maybe they are both "true lifeboats" and are both used as tenders as necessary. The zincs are most likely used to protect the typically below surface metal railings as that is what they appear to be attached to.

Those dual prop lifeboats are a lot nicer than the ones we had when I was on ships years ago. One of my classmates was on a tug in the Pacific and it sank. It was many years ago, But I believe he spent well over a week in the life boat with two other crew mates. They were eventually rescued.

On dozens of on trips with various cruise lines, I have only seen the twin-engine, catamaran-hull boats used as tenders. They are better equipped for that purpose compared to the single-engine, single-hull lifeboats.

Last edited:
On the cruises that I have been on the tenders were not life boats and were not stored, maintained, or serviced on board but rather pre-positioned at whatever location the Linear was scheduled to stop at. Thus no chance of an accident or misadventure having to take one out of service and then having to leave crew or passengers behind because they did not have a functioning life boat/ tender.

Last edited:
The single engine / single screw life boats also have a Kort nozzle instead of a rudder. The engine was cooled by a keel cooler just to port of the keel.

There looked like there were several separate tenders on a different launch rig from the lifeboats. Also, there were dozens of canister solas inflatable lifeboats forward of the powered lifeboats.

I'm glad we didn't need them ;)

Stu

There is usually also a rib type boat with a powerful outboard engine, able to be launched very quickly. Presumably to act as a fast rescue vessel, and for other urgent requirements. I`ve seen one in use, but it was just getting an exercise run to photograph the ship in a Pacific port not previously visited.

Stu: The item that you are referring to as a kort nozzle "instead of a rudder" is actually what is called a "Z Drive". It incorporates the basic dynamics of a kort nozzle coupled with rotational features and is completely ( 360 degrree ) rotational. Some of the newer American Commercial Lines towboats are being built with these. I have also seen them as very functional on harbor tugs. I spoke with some of my former Capts. at ACL and many of them are being "retrained" for these drives. It is hard for me to imagine not having flanking rudders or for that matter main rudders.

These lifeboats simply had a Kort nozzle aft of the prop to direct the thrust and steer the boat. No z-drive here. I will see if I can dig up a photo once we get back home tonight. I think one of the Kort nozzle boats is forward of the cat boats in one of the images I posted.
Stu

@Stubones99 You are correct about the 'kort nozzle' devices abaft the wheel. Several years ago SOLAS mandated that the props have guards around them so they couldn't strike the errant swimmer in an emergency. This was found to be more effective than a rudder, without the need to train the operators in tiller use. Easier to use a steering wheel. They aren't really kort nozzles, as they don't increase the thrust, but they are steerable nozzles which have the desired effect of prop protection.

If you notice the pics of the twin screw tenders they have a couple stainless bars suspended outboard of the wheels as protection also.

Now would someone please tell me where the 'Frapping lines' and 'Tricing pendants' are?

The cruise ship LBs are enclosed, but NOT self righting. The doors, hatches and closures are simply 'water shedding' NOT water tight. These lifeboats are of around 100 to 150 person capacity. They are too wide to self right. besides, I don't think the regulations call for self righting capacity for passenger occupation.

Last edited:
Were the lifeboats fully enclosed or the 'row boat' looking type? Fully enclosed lifeboats should self right but if they are the open top ones, those handles are for if it flips so you can climb up.

Were the lifeboats fully enclosed or the 'row boat' looking type? Fully enclosed lifeboats should self right but if they are the open top ones, those handles are for if it flips so you can climb up.
2rzqj5f.jpg
This is self righting, enclosed LB.

1gkj9e.jpg
This is the type cruise ships have for passenger use. Simply passenger protection from the elements. Not roll over protection. And these do have handrails on the bottom, because they are so wide they won't come back if they turtle.

Z drive on a lifeboat? HAHA that was pretty funny....

Also the days of frapping lines and tricing pendants are gone. The only thing they have are gripes. Some self release and others are released by releasing a pelican hook before boarding. None the less, everyone loads up then you launch the boat from inside.

Bottom hand rails are for holding on to when boat is over turned. I've been in a ship wreck.

Converted Lifeboat

I passed this guy on our last trip south from Alaska. He going north. Many of these old steel lifeboats were made into pleasure boats. This one (probably 26') appears to be a very well done trawler. We passed him in fair weather right off of Cape Caution. She appeared well loved and in good condition. The cabin looks like a nice well balanced design. Most are very crude and get little use.

Attachments

• DSCF0467 copy.jpg
    DSCF0467 copy.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 68
The Australian Govt. keeps a stock of orange lifeboats, to give to people trying to enter Australia without visas or passports, on old unseaworthy boats often operated by people smugglers. As well as the boat, they get instructions and enough fuel to get them to Indonesia, often their last place of departure. I`ve often wondered what happens to the boats long term.

Back
Top Bottom