Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Craig,
From a design standpoint a sheer line can be undesirable and that would be bad ... Or desirable and that would be good.
But for the most part we here on TF talk about the aesthetics of the sheer line. And it's hard to imagine a sheer line that's appealing to the eye that isn't a fair line. There are reverse curve sheers and multiple curve sheer lines but all must IMO be fair lines to be nice or even just good sheer lines aesthetically.

The type of sheer line is a matter (mostly) of taste and the blond/redhead function prevails. A good sheer line and a nice sheer line are not the same. IMO opinion of course.

A lot of guys in Alaska would love to have that houseboat(Really?:blush:). And as a houseboat it's about as likely to tip over as an aircraftcarrier(Really:lol:?). Sometimes TF kinda comes off as a Yacht Club.(Really?:eek:)

And there's the chance that he over stated his "problems" to enhance the sale appeal.

But money and health problems together are not a small thing. I have plenty of arthritis but someone in a wheel chair would be inclined to think of my problem to be small. Indeed I am thankful for the health I have .. at 76.(Really? only 76? And all this while I considered you an older senior citizen!Aaaaaaa:facepalm:

Al-Ketchikan-27'Marben Pocket CRUISER

We have 10 or 12 crab boats on our float. Most are stupid looking hack jobs that one would rather not see. But this Tollycraft conversion is very cleverly executed. He moved the part of the sides and the bridge top way fwd and then put together a small trunk cabin on the foredeck. The trunk cabin is more like the usual hacked up crab boats but by painting it black it sorta disappears. Very cleverly done IMO.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 87
If it was 10 feet longer it would be really neat. As is, nice boat for a single guy.[/QUOTE
]

Agreed, As our boat is a 7 knot boat and will always be, the thought of having a schooner stern such as this rig shows, constructed and added to our trawler. Te purpose would be to offer a better following sea entry. Eliminating or reducing the tendency of a flat stern to yawl in a following sea is always a good goal.
After looking at Eric (Manyboat) rudder on a thread regarding rudders, I'd enlarge ours at the same time. Currently the boat is flowing well in a following sea over what was when the boat was ballested at a lesser amount.
Just the normal 'What if' or 'I wonder if it would be worth the investment'
At any rate, the length of our boat would be gained in such a modification.

Al-Ketchikan, 27' Marben pocket-crusier

Compared to the Willard 30 she's 1/3 the weight and 12" narrower. A very light boat w the same power as Willy. Looks nice though. With the hard chine and light weight would probably have a snap roll. Should have the little 3 cyl Yanmar 27hp engine. Or some other 32hp engine. The hull and hence the fwd berth is very narrow. I like it. It's a bit like a mini-Willard Voyager.

Al are you contemplating adding to the stern of your Marben?

Last edited:

Al are you contemplating adding to the stern of your Marben?

No Eric,:blush: not worth the investment. Slow SD or FD hulls sold in modern format to meet the perception of the marketing vision of "Trawler" in todays interpretation are built with square sterns. These boats as I stated, are 6.5 to 8 knot boats. They only exceed hull speed design by excessive power. You and I have agreed on that point.

Only a select population I being one, understand, enjoy and appreciate the rewards of a fantail stern that allows the following sea to flow under softly allowing the hull to meet the sea in a easy motion that allows the less rudder action to compensate for the yawing.

Having witnessing the ability of fiberglass shops to extend hulls within cost and finished product allows the thinking that was expressed were that cost within the budget.
Making such a change to our boat would surely reduce any future sales to
parties in that select population mentioned.

On the other mention in my post of your rudder in relation to such a change.
The timing would be correct to make a upsweeping rudder to match the new fantail form.
Always liked seeing the tip of the rudder under a fantail.

As we mentioned in other post, the added ballast we installed have settled our hull down in all sea conditions. Yawing in following seas have been slowed as reflected in rolling in the yaw of a following sea.
Our current rudder appears larger to those of similar rudders viewed on various hulls in our class of boat.

I suppose Eric, the comment on the extension is another version of 2 foot 'itis', a chronic illness of boat ownership.

Al-Ketchikan-27' Marben pocket-CRUISER

Last edited:
We saw this one on Lopez Island this weekend. We missed the owner at their marina later unfortunately. I like the lines and she can get up and go. I estimate she's about 30' with a single engine.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 94
From your post Al

Only a select population I being one, understand, enjoy and appreciate the rewards of a fantail tern that allows the following sea to flow under softly allowing the hull to meet the sea in a easy motion that allows the less rudder action to compensate for the yawing.

Please add me to your list:thumb::thumb:

Ted

Attachments

• 100_2245.jpg
    100_2245.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: Al
Classic boats

This weekend in LaConner, is the classic car and boat show. More cars than boats but there were some really nice boats too. Love the 32 Chris Commander, stunning. Really loved the Holiday, a 1946 Monk design "troller cruiser". A Vic Franck boat, Comrade was there and a couple other CC boats and the Scamper.

Attachments

• IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 273
We saw this one on Lopez Island this weekend. We missed the owner at their marina later unfortunately. I like the lines and she can get up and go. I estimate she's about 30' with a single engine.
Columbia River bowpicker fish boat.

Yes, Robert was aboard today and we talked a while about the boat. Its funny because I was walking down the dock looking at the boats when I heard part of a conversation between he and a fellow on the dock, they mentioned Doc Freemans store and as some of you know Doc was my grandfather so I perked right up and barged in on the conversation. We had a nice chat about old times on the Lake Union waterfront scene, where I grew up.

No Eric,:blush: not worth the investment. Slow SD or FD hulls sold in modern format to meet the perception of the marketing vision of "Trawler" in todays interpretation are built with square sterns. These boats as I stated, are 6.5 to 8 knot boats. They only exceed hull speed design by excessive power. You and I have agreed on that point.

Only a select population I being one, understand, enjoy and appreciate the rewards of a fantail stern that allows the following sea to flow under softly allowing the hull to meet the sea in a easy motion that allows the less rudder action to compensate for the yawing.

Having witnessing the ability of fiberglass shops to extend hulls within cost and finished product allows the thinking that was expressed were that cost within the budget.
Making such a change to our boat would surely reduce any future sales to
parties in that select population mentioned.

On the other mention in my post of your rudder in relation to such a change.
The timing would be correct to make a upsweeping rudder to match the new fantail form.
Always liked seeing the tip of the rudder under a fantail.

As we mentioned in other post, the added ballast we installed have settled our hull down in all sea conditions. Yawing in following seas have been slowed as reflected in rolling in the yaw of a following sea.
Our current rudder appears larger to those of similar rudders viewed on various hulls in our class of boat.

I suppose Eric, the comment on the extension is another version of 2 foot 'itis', a chronic illness of boat ownership.

Al-Ketchikan-27' Marben pocket-CRUISER

Al, agreed re the "illness".
But a simple extension will be only part of the modification unless the extension is only 2'. One would need to extend the keel, prop shaft and rudder.

You can achieve the FD hull w a square stern by simply "warping" the bottom. As long as the transom comes up out of the water FD will be achieved. You could just ramp up the bottom aft till the transom is out of the water .... w/o any extension at all. Then you'd have an overpowered boat and need to repower down to about 35 to 40hp.

Too much work. Just go buy a FD boat. Any Albin 25's in Ketchikan now? They are quite small though. That's why we have the Willard.

Al, agreed re the "illness".
But a simple extension will be only part of the modification unless the extension is only 2'. One would need to extend the keel, prop shaft and rudder. {Not necessary- I have viewed several gillnet boats that have been extended six to eight feet in a 34 foot hull leaving the wheel/rudder as is. No appreciative difference or not enough to cause concern. Looks a bit weird though}

You can achieve the FD hull w a square stern by simply "warping" the bottom. As long as the transom comes up out of the water FD will be achieved. You could just ramp up the bottom aft till the transom is out of the water .... w/o any extension at all. Then you'd have an overpowered boat and need to repower down to about 35 to 40hp. {Eric, all of this paragraph is confusing, I really have no idea of what you are attempting to describe,:confused: sorry, bud, no insult intended, just confused as to what is what here}:ermm:

Too much work. Just go buy a FD boat. Any Albin 25's in Ketchikan now? They are quite small though. That's why we have the Willard.

Al-Ketchikan, 27' Marben-Pocket CRUISER

Hi Al,
Sorry about the confusion. More simply put if you reshape the stern whereas the transom is out of the water you've got a FD boat and that can be achieved by lengthing the hull or not. And if you go from SD to FD you won't need as much power .. probably about 40% less depending on the design.

Yup you can leave the rudder and keel as is but having all that mass well aft of the rudder will make for a poor handling boat. If a quartering stern sea is pushing the stern downwind the rudder will be quite ineffective. But there is a commercially built boat that I think that was done to. The Gulfstar looks for all the world like that's what they did. Probably had a ready made mould and then decided to build a bigger boat.

Sorry about the confusion. More simply put if you reshape the stern whereas the transom is out of the water you've got a FD boat and that can be achieved by lengthing the hull or not. And if you go from SD to FD you won't need as much power .. probably about 40% less depending on the design.{Hummmm, Eric, there would be nil addition to water line length with a fan tail addition as the addition would be flared into the hull line as it is now with the bottom of the fan tail unit flare from there would add no more than a foot of water line length as it rose to the exposed remaining construction. I do not believe there would be any noticeable difference in performance outside of the desired yawing reduction in a following sea. That said, the current HP regardless will not add or detract from present performance hence, a smaller 4-154 engine as we had previously, while suitable, was running like a hamster to make the turns where as the larger 4-236 is accomplishing the same outcome at a much reduced and quitter RPM with the same fuel burn. I realize you are infatuated with the application of the lessor HP to achieve hull performance. Nothing wrong with that concept. There are others such as myself that find comfort in having a engine that large enough in the individual's mind to achieve or exceed hull speed for various reasons. in my case a small boat where sharing the engine space with the living space in closer proximity than larger craft, less cabin noise is a quite boat underway. Our db sound level is 7l dbs at 1350-1400 RPM, our average speed fluctuates between 6.5-7.3 knots at 1.5 gallon per hour fuel burn. I am happy. (On the bridge, the dbs are 60 db)

Quote continued:Yup you can leave the rudder and keel as is but having all that mass well aft of the rudder will make for a poor handling boat. If a quartering stern sea is pushing the stern downwind the rudder will be quite ineffective. But there is a commercially built boat that I think that was done to. The Gulfstar looks for all the world like that's what they did. Probably had a ready made mould and then decided to build a bigger boat.

I agree to your response given a extension length that was excessive to the overall. One would or should I'm thinking have professional review of any anticipated lengthening or have personal interaction with a similar existing boat already modified.
That said after conversation with a couple of those gillnet boat owners who seemed satisfied with the outcome.

Thanks for the conversation Eric.:flowers: Always a bit of enjoyment
Al-Ketchikan 27'Marben-pocket CRUISER

Hi Al,
I'm just talk'in theoretical ideal. I usually do.

I was lucky. I had to repower so actually got to research the power requirement and I spent quite a bit of time doing that.
For most it's not worth the effort to repower an old boat just to be ideal. And to others it dosn't even matter. And for others, (like yourself) other things are more important. Many (perhaps most) don't like higher rpm. To me it's totally immaterial. With X amount of w ...... this is not on thread topic. I'm out.

...they mentioned Doc Freemans store and as some of you know Doc was my grandfather so...

Were you acquainted with Lee Knudson? My dad had a boatbuilder account there from when he was building an Ingrid and it transitioned to me. Lee was a great guy, sad to see him (and the business!) decline.

Keith

Sure, knew Lee and Pete, Bob and Norm the mechanic. I even found receipts from Doc Freemans on the boat I bought last spring! I worked at the store a bit while still in HS around 1970. When they moved the store to Ballard it was over, just took a couple years to finish it off. The original store was a great place to pick thru stuff and make offers and find bargains. The whole bldg. has been converted to office space now, all changed. Fremont Boat is still there of course for moorage and Fremont Tugboat, my cousin Erik's company now is there and thriving. Docs son, my Uncle Mark is about 82 now and is still active but not on the boats anymore. He is busy writing books and running the tugboat "museum", building models and having a pretty good time for the most part.

My father moored his 103' boat alongside the Edison Tech boatbuilding school. That was about 1950.
I rode my bicycle from the Ravenna district down to and around the lake when the Gasworks was a refinery.
I sure remember Doc's. Was most often crowded in the store. Wish we had stores like that now.

Still for Sale

Price is $19950. now.