View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Fighterpilot

Holding tank and water tank=which side for pump out and fill???

As you know I am a new owner of a 34LRC. My 4th boat but still find something new on every one. Decided to pump out holding tank today. PO said it was full and on sea trial got some back fill up into the toilet. I guess that suggests some valve problem. Couldn't get the cap off the waste pump out. Finally broke it so replace with a whole new fitting. I use a macerator at the fitting and pump out to a 35 gal. portable holding tank. Pump the tank full--?? From a 30 gal. holding tank??? So I though, well I'll empty and come back--pumped tank full again. 60 some gal. pumped out of the waste pump out fitting. Now something isn't right. Second tank was mostly clear water--in fact the first tank didn't smell too bad either.

I went down in the bilge and tried to trace the hoses but they come down a forward bulkhead and disappear under the tanks. Both of them had a manual pump out valve inline. Do they have to be in a certain position to enable dockside pump out? Ran out of time and light so gave up but it would seem I am just pumping water out of the "Waste" labeled fitting. It is on the port side and the water fill fitting is on the starboard side. Is that standard?

Water tank was empty so I ran some water into it yesterday. Might have been pumping it out today--I don't know. Is there a way that pumping out waste could draw water into the holding tank--- maybe thru a bad valve in the toilet? The pump out flow was really good so there was a good source someplace. Could the two deck fitting be mislabeled? Waste actually on the starboard side and water fill on port?

Tomorrow I'll see if I can find the fill hose for the water tank and trace that. There are two tanks fiberglassed into the centerline of the boat. One is twice the size of the other. I assumed the smaller was the waste tank at 30 gal. and the larger was the water tank at 70 gal. Help.

Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote