High RPM = Hot Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FF calls Mainships "Dreamkillers"...

My comment was after observing two retired folks attempt to operate in locking thru locks with hanging ropes , and with fixed cables or a sliding post.

The inability to lead secure a line aft thru a hawse hole , meant a 75 year old was hanging on the line pulling his heart out, unsucessfully.

The lack of a simple mid ship cleat , and the factorys refusal to install one on a brand new boat , meant the boat could not ride the wall, , and again the cruising results were dangerous and disasterous , the couples dream ended , the vessel dumped in the dealers lap.

I'm sure the dealer was happy, with a double sale profit.

Besides a pretty and volumeous interior , the purchaser should make sure the boat is usefull for the required tasks. This Mainship was a failure for its owners.

-- Edited by FF on Friday 4th of March 2011 05:50:54 AM

FF, I remember the volley. And I am having a hard time believing they didn't have midship cleats. I have the bottom of the line Mainship....smallest one made, and the midship cleats are at least adequate and actually I would say maybe even oversized. Heck you can see it in my tiny avatar pic so it is big enough to stand out in that small pic. Where is yours???....
smile.gif
Anyway, I was not at all offended by your summation. I thought it was kind of humorous....not for the older couple obviously. Next time I see any newer Mainship I will take note ref the midship cleat.

a note on black smoke..

my diesel mechanic (he is very good, factory trained at CAT and the most experienced and best referenced CAT diesel mechanic in my area).

i was discussing same with him, he distinctly said:

a diesel engine reaches its max heatoutput/load/energy right when the black smoke starts.
it means the engine cannot burn anymore diesel so any excess diesel injected into the manifold is exhausted as black smoke..

so if the black smoke appears well below normal "max hp" rpm setting, it would to me indicate that possible the propeller is "over propped" accordingly, possible as FF refers to as a cruise prop.

Rick, are you insinuating that such a cruise prop could take some years off the diesel engine life span?

on the issue of the tach gauges being off, does this apply to the digital tach gauges also?

dhiggins wrote:

Just bought boat, it's been sitting for about four years.* It has a LF120; starts great.* Temp guage stays around 180 all the way up to around 1600 or so RPM.* If I try 1800-2000* the temp goes to 200+ quick.* Now, after reading the post about 3 vs. 4 blade props I'm thinking the prop may be the trouble; 4 blade.* BUT, the oringinal owner (passed away) was an engineer, loved his boat, an had four props (two 3s & two 4s).* The boat; '79 41ft, came with a 3 blade on it.* SO, is my problem the engine or prop?* Oh yea, I only tried opening it all the way once; topped out at 2100 RPM with a lot of black smoke.
*Hi - Know I'm late to the party... read a fair portion of entries so far... not seeing what happened to me and dad, feel I should mention my own past with overheating diesel.

Over heating experience:

Spring 1965,*my dad and I*watched/helped a marine mechanic in a*boat yard in*Freeport LI, NY*install a factory new 180 HP SC Perkins into our really cool, wooden, 1951, 38' custom built, raised deck, single screw sport fisher/cruiser.* From day one it got too hot when pushed above 1600 rpm.* From that start and all way the way into*into*1967 we and every mechanic we could find tried to figure it out... nothing worked.* It would run, but*too hot at higher rpm.* The prop was correct.* Finally dad got really pissed-off and read Perkins HQ the riot act.* Perkins finally sent two techs to come on a cruise with all their testing gear.* Outcome - the engine had a "very slight" crack in the head.* Perkins replaced the head and that motor then ran great for years.* Never ran hot again!* So... just for the heck of it... I recommend checking the head carefully. - Good luck! Art

-- Edited by Art on Sunday 13th of March 2011 10:00:36 PM

Baker wrote:Next time I see any newer Mainship I will take note ref the midship cleat.
Got one on both sides of ample size.*

Back
Top Bottom